Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you also mount your phone near the dashboard? If so, why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Low on the left side of the dash is not "too close to steering wheel, blocks vent, or blocks accessibility to that left top portion of the screen".

Check out pictures posted by Sawyer8888 above for location (although I have a very different and smaller mount.

Ah, you meant left side of steering wheel. I thought you meant that small section to the left of the screen.

yeah, left side of steering wheel is the wrong side (since we seem to be stating opinions as facts). The only other spot other than where I have it that would have worked for me was to the left of the screen but as I stated, that is just too tight of a spot and there was no way for me to position is in a way that I like without getting blocked by the steering wheel, blocking a vent, or blocking part of the screen.

Ah, you meant left side of steering wheel. I thought you meant that small section to the left of the screen.

yeah, left side of steering wheel is the wrong side (since we seem to be stating opinions as facts). The only other spot other than where I have it that would have worked for me was to the left of the screen but as I stated, that is just too tight of a spot and there was no way for me to position is in a way that I like without getting blocked by the steering wheel, blocking a vent, or blocking part of the screen.

There are no facts on issues like this. It is all opinion.

eah, left side of steering wheel is the wrong side (since we seem to be stating opinions as facts). The only other spot other than where I have it that would have worked for me was to the left of the screen but as I stated, that is just too tight of a spot and there was no way for me to position is in a way that I like without getting blocked by the steering wheel, blocking a vent, or blocking part of the screen
Some people do state opinion as fact, but I try not to do that. It's an easy trap to fall into and can lead to erroneous conclusions and a sense of certainty where in fact none exists.

My phone mount clips into the vent just above the upper left corner of the center display. I think it works fine there. Others obviously prefer different locations. I run Waze along with the Tesla nav because Waze provides better traffic info and better alternate routing. The Tesla nav is generally pretty good but not as good as Waze in my experience.

Low on the left side of the dash is not "too close to steering wheel, blocks vent, or blocks accessibility to that left top portion of the screen".

Check out pictures posted by Sawyer8888 above for location (although I have a very different and smaller mount.

Exactly. In my opinion, with the right mount, placing your phone to the left of the steering wheel is best because:
  • Far enough away from the steering wheel and indicator/AP stalks, but well within reach
  • Does not block the vent, but the phone benefits from the close proximity of the vent, which I believe extends the phone's charge.
  • All but a very small portion on the bottom-right corner of the phone's screen is visible, which is more than sufficient.
    • This of course will vary depending on how far your mount extends from the dash. A good portion of the screen would be blocked if using a mount that holds the phone close to the dash.
  • Works the part of the brain that controls your left hand. For those that are right-handed, this is a good exercise. :)

Last edited:
Some people do state opinion as fact, but I try not to do that. It's an easy trap to fall into and can lead to erroneous conclusions and a sense of certainty where in fact none exists.

My phone mount clips into the vent just above the upper left corner of the center display. I think it works fine there. Others obviously prefer different locations. I run Waze along with the Tesla nav because Waze provides better traffic info and better alternate routing. The Tesla nav is generally pretty good but not as good as Waze in my experience.

Yeah, I was just saying that to pock fun at MDMGSO47 since he mentioned I have it mounted on the wrong side. lol

Yes, it's all opinion...whatever works best for you is what you should do.

Exactly. In my opinion, with the right mount, placing your phone to the left of the steering wheel is best because:
  • Far enough away from the steering wheel and indicator/AP stalks, but well within reach
  • Does not block the vent, but the phone benefits from the close proximity of the vent, which I believe extends the phone's charge.
  • All but a very small portion on the bottom-right corner of the phone's screen is visible, which is more than sufficient.
    • This of course will vary depending on how far your mount extends from the dash. A good portion of the screen would be blocked if using a mount that holds the phone close to the dash.
  • Works the part of the brain that controls your left hand. For those that are right-handed, this is a good exercise. :)

Wrong! :p

Because then you have the charge cord running around the steering wheel in my opinion stated as fact!

As to the why, I drive Uber. Which can be a lot of fun. Obviously need the phone for that. But also noticed that the phone can't always get GPS due to infrared coating on the Windows which apparently blocks the GPS pretty effectively. That's what I get for buying a car from a guy in Phoenix! I use the, almost crippled, Tesla maps all the time in case my phone loses it.

Wrong! :p

Because then you have the charge cord running around the steering wheel in my opinion stated as fact!

Sure. If your cell phone is draining so much power that fast that you need to have it plugged in all the time, then the left side of your steering wheel may not be the best place.

But the issue in question is why we all have to mount it in the first place. As mentioned, and as most of us can agree with, it's primarily because of the relatively poor performance of Tesla's navigation. The lack of cell phone support with Tesla's interface is another contributing factor.

Reactions: Cyclone
But the issue in question is why we all have to mount it in the first place. As mentioned, and as most of us can agree with, it's primarily because of the relatively poor performance of Tesla's navigation. The lack of cell phone support with Tesla's interface is another contributing factor.

To be fair, Tesla's navigation is better than most every other car maker's built-in navigation option. It is just that Waze is much better than every other option available anywhere (including Google Maps, Apple Maps, dedicated GPS systems like TomTom or Garmin, etc.). The only way I would every use any built-in navigation system in any car is if it literally ran Waze itself.

Reactions: Cyclone
To be fair, Tesla's navigation is better than most every other car maker's built-in navigation option. It is just that Waze is much better than every other option available anywhere (including Google Maps, Apple Maps, dedicated GPS systems like TomTom or Garmin, etc.). The only way I would every use any built-in navigation system in any car is if it literally ran Waze itself.

+1