Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do You Believe The M3P Will Ever Get AB?

Do You Believe The M3P Will Ever Get AB?

• Yes, it makes sense to run 2.6s 0-60.

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • No, it will compete with the Base Model S and the existing motors can't handle the TRUTH.

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Maybe, it depends on if Tesla needs to meet quarter-end metrics.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Who Cares? It's fast enough!

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a recent thread on this topic. Where is the option for "the car cant do it" in the poll? Is that choice 2?

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out what AB is.
The normal usage for that acronym here is "acceleration boost". The poll also seems to assume that increasing .5 seconds from 3.1 to 2.6 is just as easy as it was to increase from 4.0 to 3.5 for the Model 3 Long range AWD model, ignoring the fact that as you get faster, it gets harder and harder to go faster.

I'm still trying to figure out what AB is.
Acceleration
c@2x.jpg

Acceleration boost? I dunno..... But a few more HP in a software update? I think so.

They did that a while ago on the Model 3 didn't they? I bet there's 20more ponies in there somewhere.

I think the real question is how much would you pay, and how much power would it need to be for the money you're willing to spend.

I think I would be cool with around $2000USD. And it would have to bump the 0-60 to 2.9 or less. But more importantly it needs to be able to walk a LR dual motor at speed, not just jump quicker off the line. So quicker 0-60. But ALSO faster 60-130.

The normal usage for that acronym here is "acceleration boost". The poll also seems to assume that increasing .5 seconds from 3.1 to 2.6 is just as easy as it was to increase from 4.0 to 3.5 for the Model 3 Long range AWD model, ignoring the fact that as you get faster, it gets harder and harder to go faster.

I thought that IF this occurred, and they COULD do it, then it would be about a 0.2 second improvement (given the weight, current output, a whole host of assumptions ...)

Not only is it objectively (in terms of performance) quicker, but it also crosses that magic 3 second threshold ... I mean, this looks pretty good, right :D

1629481977467.png

Reactions: jjrandorin
I guess the Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye is getting near M3P levels... but it'll probably drop its transmission all over the ground if someone ever actually stomped on the gas pedal.

New 'Vettes are supposed to be as fast (maybe faster?)

With that being said, maybe its just me, but the statement "other cars are getting faster so all teslas should get a boost to speed up as well" really feels like a huge sense of entitlement to me. Kinda like saying "they are building a new home development around the corner from me with bigger homes, so my builder should come and make my home bigger too".

/shrug

I feel that all car should get a boost soon as most of the newer ICE cars are getting closer to the HP/TQ output Tesla.

So... never then.

Most legacy companies have abandoned development of new ICE powertrains at this point. There's never going to be a point that "most' ICE cars are close to 3-AB or 3P performance.

Below is something I wrote a bit over a year ago-- I know Tesla has raised prices a couple k since- and I haven't kept that close on eye on current ICE, but I suspect it's still reasonably accurate

So the quickest new cars for sale under 60k:

1. C8 base corvette- $59,995, 0-60 in ~3 flat.
2. Tesla Model 3 Performance- $56,990, 0-60 in ~3 flat (but 1/4 mile is .2 slower than vette)
3.... Tesla Model 3 LR AWD with accel boost- $53,900, 0-60 in ~3.5.

Even if you raise the price cap to 99k and (other than different vette variants) there's only 2 other cars worth looking at for this list-

The Chalenger Hellcat Redeye- which is $71,300 and lists a 3.4 0-60, but every car mag that tested couldn't beat 3.7 in actual testing. Allegedly with Mickey Thompsons and a prepped track it'll do better, but not in real life.

The Camaro ZL1- which is 3.5 or 3.6 depending which car mag tests it, and is priced around 62k base model.

Oh, funnier- I'm pretty sure 4 and 5 on the quickest cars under 60k would be:

4. Audi RS3- $56,200, 0-60 in ~3.7
5......Tesla Model 3 LR AWD without accel boost- $51,900, 0-60 in 3.9

The Camaro ZL1- which is 3.5 or 3.6 depending which car mag tests it, and is priced around 62k base model.

I'm gonna be "that guy" and correct you... the ZL1 with the 1LE package is the one that does 3.5/3.6... and that's around $72k. So I don't think anything within reason is approaching the Model 3P in terms of price and performance.

Edit, although GM and FCA do offer more exciting colors than the 5 boring colors at Tesla...

So... never then.

Most legacy companies have abandoned development of new ICE powertrains at this point. There's never going to be a point that "most' ICE cars are close to 3-AB or 3P performance.

Below is something I wrote a bit over a year ago-- I know Tesla has raised prices a couple k since- and I haven't kept that close on eye on current ICE, but I suspect it's still reasonably accurate

So the quickest new cars for sale under 60k:

1. C8 base corvette- $59,995, 0-60 in ~3 flat.
2. Tesla Model 3 Performance- $56,990, 0-60 in ~3 flat (but 1/4 mile is .2 slower than vette)
3.... Tesla Model 3 LR AWD with accel boost- $53,900, 0-60 in ~3.5.

Even if you raise the price cap to 99k and (other than different vette variants) there's only 2 other cars worth looking at for this list-

The Chalenger Hellcat Redeye- which is $71,300 and lists a 3.4 0-60, but every car mag that tested couldn't beat 3.7 in actual testing. Allegedly with Mickey Thompsons and a prepped track it'll do better, but not in real life.

Oh, funnier- I'm pretty sure 4 and 5 on the quickest cars under 60k would be:

4. Audi RS3- $56,200, 0-60 in ~3.7
5......Tesla Model 3 LR AWD without accel boost- $51,900, 0-60 in 3.9
lets go ahead and add the new nissan Z on here as well with 400HP as LRAWD ~ 350 HP and Performance 450ish HP..

lets go ahead and add the new nissan Z on here as well with 400HP as LRAWD ~ 350 HP and Performance 450ish HP..

..why?

Your link said:
Nissan said the Z's 0-60 mph time has improved by 15%, which should put it in the low 4-second range.

That's slower than anything else we've discussed. (by potentially quite a bit depending where in the "low" it falls)- and it's apparently recycling an engine from 2016.

Reactions: jjrandorin