Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you care that the trunk doesn't auto close?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed one of these in a model S a few years ago. It was amazingly simple. All you need is a 12V source.

Its more like an opening assist. It senses when the trunk latch is released and the proceeds to open the trunk the rest of the way.

Then a gentle push causes it to close and latch the trunk. The only problem I think I've heard of is that it takes a lot of force to latch the trunk on the model 3. I will have to evaluate that once I get mine.

I have already purchased mine and will hopefully install it within the first few days.

8" HEAVY DUTY 12 VOLT LINEAR ACTUATOR STREET ROD TRUNK LIFT UNIVERSAL STREET ROD | eBay

I would like the option for auto close. Right now the biggest problem of the Model 3 trunk is the seals are quite new and takes a slam or to to get it to fully latch.

The two inner grab handles help a lot for lowering it. You do have to get your hand dirty to close it fully from the outside.

Here in Canada with our messy winter dirt covered cars, you'd think this would be a big deal for the set of folks who don't want to mess their hands...truth is, every single surface of the car is covered with dirt and grime.

The Model S with door handles popping out, and the power lift gate do reduce dirt on your hands for sure compared to door handles you need to press on and manual lift gate.

However, the rear view camera almost always needs to be cleaned with a finger swipe, so it's not possible to completely avoid getting messy finger tips with a Tesla.

I don't know how I live with my other car, a Smart ED that has manual mostly everything...and I still prefer driving it compared to the Tesla for short trips to the store.

It's a struggle. ;-)

My wife's 2016 Mercedes C-300 has the "foot activated" truck lid. It requires you to have the key fob in your pocket when you approach to allow foot activation. Closes by hand or button. I thought it was a gimmicky, at first but have come to love the convenience. Would love to see Tesla add to M3 PUP.

Last edited:
I installed one of these in a model S a few years ago. It was amazingly simple. All you need is a 12V source.

Its more like an opening assist. It senses when the trunk latch is released and the proceeds to open the trunk the rest of the way.

Then a gentle push causes it to close and latch the trunk. The only problem I think I've heard of is that it takes a lot of force to latch the trunk on the model 3. I will have to evaluate that once I get mine.

I have already purchased mine and will hopefully install it within the first few days.

8" HEAVY DUTY 12 VOLT LINEAR ACTUATOR STREET ROD TRUNK LIFT UNIVERSAL STREET ROD | eBay
If it's the same one that I saw in a video before where someone installed it, that thing is so loud compared to the OEM. I already think the stock one is loud, the other one would drive me nuts.

I don't mind the trunk not having an automatic lift gate... but I wish the frunk had a power latch, so you could lower it slowly and it would latch itself rather then having to press hard on a very specific spot or risk denting it.

Don't care about the worthless frunk but I wish the trunk had a powered open. Many of my vehicles over the years had it (especially useful when you have kids). Of course you can't even get a fob for it (perpetually out of stock) so I guess what would be the point.

Power close would be nice, I got used to it on the S. I don't know who wouldn't want an extra convenience feature... Heated steering wheel would be a nicety as well as air suspension, power frunk, proper blind spot detection, etc... None are deal breaks, but as OP mentioned... cars in a lower class do have some features that would be nice to see on the 3.

Just saw my Dad's new Kia that he paid $37K for. The most expensive vehicle that Kia has and so it has all the bells and whistles. That includes the little button to auto-close the trunk lid. I kinda wish I was getting that on the Model 3. Not having it is a plus for reliability. I know for sure, Tesla will eventually offer the feature on future model 3's. I don't get in my trunk enough to get all upset about it, but I can vent my first world complain here, right? Do you guys care about this feature?

By the way, the Kia also has the 360 surround view that we all wish Tesla would add....

I absolutely wish that the Model 3 had a power trunk. The Model S I had as a loaner when my car was getting serviced had this feature and it is awesome. Even my lowly BMW 3 series had at least an automatic open trunk if you waved your foot under the bumper, which is better than what Tesla offers on the 3 (which is nothing).

Reactions: super20g
I can certainly understand those who want automatic trunk closing.

But, for me I'd much rather have a heated steering wheel. Heck these days you can get a Jeep Wrangler with a heated steering wheel. Tesla keeps telling us to hold the steering wheel, but how about making it desirable to touch.

I'd also like a self-cleaning rear camera. That would be pretty useful.

Reactions: wenkan and super20g
I absolutely wish that the Model 3 had a power trunk. The Model S I had as a loaner when my car was getting serviced had this feature and it is awesome. Even my lowly BMW 3 series had at least an automatic open trunk if you waved your foot under the bumper, which is better than what Tesla offers on the 3 (which is nothing).

I look forwards to the day when I can make a gesture to my car to tell it to open the trunk. It should be possible with what's already on the Model 3.

Reactions: super20g
Just saw my Dad's new Kia that he paid $37K for. The most expensive vehicle that Kia has and so it has all the bells and whistles. That includes the little button to auto-close the trunk lid. I kinda wish I was getting that on the Model 3. Not having it is a plus for reliability. I know for sure, Tesla will eventually offer the feature on future model 3's. I don't get in my trunk enough to get all upset about it, but I can vent my first world complain here, right? Do you guys care about this feature?

By the way, the Kia also has the 360 surround view that we all wish Tesla would add....
I’m ambivalent. I wouldn’t pay more for it. I’m happy to not have presenting door handles...they seem fragile.