TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do you carry your Mobile Connector with you when ever you leave the house?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Cal1, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Cal1

Cal1 Member

Ok I'm a newbe (two weeks ownership). Love the idea of a full charge every morning when I wake up. I will probably never need to recharge (when out and about) but I feel the need to pack the mobile connector in the trunk every time we leave. Paranoid or what? Do you pack it every trip out of the house or just leave it at home? I'm not talking about any expected long trips but I am rural and my trips usually run anywhere from 30 to 150 miles when running into town.

Cal

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

You'll get used to leaving the house without it eventually.

We've only taken the UMC with when we drove to LA in March.

3. riceuguy

riceuguy Member

My rule of thumb is if I'm going more than 120 miles total in my 60 then I'll toss it in the trunk; 95% of my away from home charging is either at public chargers (J1772 adapter is always in my car), Tesla stores/service centers (already have cords), or Superchargers (already have cords).

4. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I remember those days. I carefully rolled mine up every single morning and stowed it in the trunk. No more. After 5 months, I can say I have never needed it anywhere but at home, except my trip to Miami. But then I knew I'd need it so threw it in the trunk, since i planned to either find a 110v at my hotel or use a 50 amp at an RV park. Now my UMC stays plugged in waiting for me when I get home.

5. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Mine also stays in the garage hanging on its hook.

The only times it's been in the car are a) for a ~150 mile day trip where I brought it just in case as the destination was 30-40 miles from the closest public charger, and b) when I've taken the car in to Tesla service just in case they need to inspect it.

We're doing our first overnight trip next month and will take it then also -- the hotel we're staying at has a 14-50 outlet for charging...

6. Liz G

Liz G P03056

Ditto. Only take it when road tripping.

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

#7 ElSupreme, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    I have put it into the car 3 times.

The first was when I picked up the UMC, my car didn't have one in it when it was delivered.
    The second was 2 months later when I parked for 9 days in long term parking at the airport. I didn't know how much the vampire would eat. Never left the bag.
    The third time was when I was showing off the car, and wanted to show people the charge cord.

Even on 3 trips at over 225 miles I leave the cord in my garage.

Now when I road trip to South Carolina this Thanksgiving, I will surely bring the UMC.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Mine is in the trunk right now, but that's only because it has been giving me difficulties and I'm off to the Service Center after work.

I've only packed it once when I travelled to a friend's summer cottage that was right on the limit of my round-trip range. Most of the public infrastructure out there is of the J1772 variety, so I don't really feel the need to carry the UMC.

9. bob_p

bob_p Member

Had my MS since January with almost 17,000 miles - and have never used the charging cable outside of my house. I have used the J1772 adapter several times on trips for overnight charging (that adapter fits into a slot in the glove compartment).

Before getting my HPWC, always left the mobile charging cable in the garage - and didn't take it in the car. Since getting the HPWC, have left the mobile cable inside the bag, with all of the adapters - and haven't touched it once - sitting in the rear storage compartment.

If you're taking a trip longer than a single charge - it's a good idea to take the mobile cable, even though you probably won't need it. And, if you think you might ever be somewhere without a charging station, you may also want to get a few extra charger adapters - to give you even more options (especially the older "dryer" outlet plug).

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No. These days there are plenty of J1772 plugs, so I just need that adapter. I only bring it if I'm planning to stop in at my brother-in-law's place in Toronto.

11. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

My European answer is a bit different: I rarely even use the UMC!

I have a Type 2 charging station at home with one cable fixed to my charging station and I have a Type 2 cable in the trunk stowed away and it's always there.

Just like guys carry the J1772 adapter I always carry a Type 2 cable. The UMC stays at home at all times.

12. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I have a high-power connector, so my UMC is usually in the trunk. Unlike others, however, I take advantage of any plugs I see. I was at the community park the other day and saw a 120V outlet on the outside of the shed by my parking spot. Plugged in for a "trickle charge".

13. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Road trips > 150 miles only. of course I keep the J-1772 adapter in the car all the time. Within a month or so you'll get a good feel for your regular routes and the capabilities of the car. When you hit that point, you'll be very comfortable leaving the umbilical cord behind.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

On trips only. There is always plenty of range for a normal day's drive (including the unexpected). I've never had to charge elsewhere other than trips.

15. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I have an HPWC too so the mobile connector is always in the car. In my almost one year of driving the S, I haven't needed it once, but I like having it in the trunk anyways I have also found it useful as a prop for when I am showing the various ways to charge the car.

16. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

UMC stays at home, J1772 adapter stays in car.

17. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Just adding a voice to the rest. You'll only charge at home and for those times you aren't you'll know well ahead of time or you'll be using the J1772 adapter (which stores nicely in the glove box).

18. Zextraterrestrial

#18 Zextraterrestrial, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    I would rather charge at 10Kw than use a J1772. I bought a second UMC so I can leave one always plugged into my house in the front and one in my trunk. Agree that for daily use there is no need to use it, but every trip leaving the Eureka area needs a UMC to get there.

I have charged at many local locations but the tiny bit of $ saved and power gained isn't worth the hassle. I do it more to show the car off since local charging spots have been mostly unused until recently

19. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Always keep it in the car. The garage has a HPWC

20. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

I am a bit different. I bought an extra UMC. There are very few J1772 stations that are practical for me to use. However at most places I stop at for long periods of time such as friends and family I have installed Nema 6-50 outlets. So I can charge there easily with my UMC. I got sick of taking the UMC from my garage and packing it with me every day so I just bought an extra one to keep in the car and use the original to leave in my garage. I also have 110V plug at work. This allows me to trickle charge for the 8 hours I am there. This is more than enough to recover any lost charge on my commute to work. I have about 35 mile commute each way. I am trying to run my car in 60% to 40% SOC as much as possible. I am under the delusion that this might help long term battery life. Even though it is a 60kwh, charging at work makes this possible. My work doesn't provide me anything more than an outlet and some electricity, so I did the crazy thing of building my own EVSE (OpenEVSE) for at work. I tried to save a few bucks doing this, but overall not much cheaper than just buying another UMC. I made the EVSE specifically for the L1 charging I do at work, with a magnetic base and extra long cords. This works great for me.