Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you carry your Mobile Connector with you when ever you leave the house?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought an extra. Have 12,000 miles and haven't used it yet...

I was bringing mine with me the first few days, thought about buying a second one but got sticker shock.
Now I only bring it on road trips. Can't wait for the first road trip when I forget it though...But the J1772
connector is always in the car and is generally what gets me back to full on the road.

I always have mine in the trunk. But my situation is different. I don't have a garage, just a 10-30 outlet I installed at my townhouse parking space (so no place to store the UMC, and though it's a safe neighborhood, don't want anything to happen to the UMC). I also have a 14-50 outlet at work (which is where I charge on weekdays) so I am always taking it back and forth. I did get a handy cord organizer that I just hang at home and work so I don't have to keep rolling it up. It makes the transport easy.
Racor SCW-1B SNAP2IT Cord Wrap:Amazon:Home Improvement

I bought an extra. Have 12,000 miles and haven't used it yet...

I've toyed with the idea of buying one to keep in the car since my original mostly stays in the garage, but for the amount of time I'd need it with me, I'm not sure if it's worth the money. (Once in the past 6 months / 13,000 miles). On the other hand, I've had two flakey UMCs that refuse to connect and generally act funky, so the idea of having a "spare" is kind of attractive to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I would rather charge at 10Kw than use a J1772.

We have lots of 90 amp and a few 100 amp J1772 stations around here, and since I have twin chargers, I often charge at 16 kW or more at public J1772 stations.

I've toyed with the idea of buying one to keep in the car since my original mostly stays in the garage, but for the amount of time I'd need it with me, I'm not sure if it's worth the money. (Once in the past 6 months / 13,000 miles). On the other hand, I've had two flakey UMCs that refuse to connect and generally act funky, so the idea of having a "spare" is kind of attractive to me.

I am with you on this. I think having a spare UMC/HPWC is a good idea. As I was without a charging method when I got the car, and had one of the first batch of UMCs that were melting. I think a HPWC or other permanent EVSE is the way to go. And I would probably still keep the UMC at home on a shelf. I don't see the point taking it everywhere.

We have lots of 90 amp and a few 100 amp J1772 stations around here, and since I have twin chargers, I often charge at 16 kW or more at public J1772 stations.

Bought a spare which stays in the car. If something were to happen to the one mounted in the garage then I know I have a backup to use while I wait for a replacement from Tesla as there is no service center near us and expect it would take a few days, best case.

It is my at home method of charging, so it only gets in the trunk for a road trip. I am on a trip as we speak and it is with me even though I do not anticipate a need for it. Checking out some of the Canadian Sun Country Highway. Great! 70 Amp J1772 charging every night and at lunch as well.

I only take it if either:
- I'm planning on charging at an RV park
- staying overnight somewhere so I plug into an A/C outlet - even if it is only a 110v

Otherwise I have enough range to get me to where I'm going and back - and as you can see from my avatar - I've pushed it to the limit :)

Bought a spare which stays in the car. If something were to happen to the one mounted in the garage then I know I have a backup to use while I wait for a replacement from Tesla as there is no service center near us and expect it would take a few days, best case.
I also purchased an extra UMC and keep it in the trunk. It will become my backup charger if the one in my garage dies. I also don't want to be stranded anywhere if I'm short on juice.

I have two, one in the car and one at home. When I bought my car there was very limited charging at work except some 120V outlets so I figured I'd benefit from not having to pack and unpack it each day. It turns out that one of the senior execs approved a wide scale carging install so now every building has multiple J1772 chargers. So, instead of using both every day I rarely use either.

Ok I'm a newbe (two weeks ownership). Love the idea of a full charge every morning when I wake up. I will probably never need to recharge (when out and about) but I feel the need to pack the mobile connector in the trunk every time we leave. Paranoid or what? Do you pack it every trip out of the house or just leave it at home? I'm not talking about any expected long trips but I am rural and my trips usually run anywhere from 30 to 150 miles when running into town.

Cal

I have an HPWC at home and always keep the mobile connector kit in the trunk. You never know when you may need to take an unexpected trip due to an emergency situation, and having the mobile kit in the trunk can be a lifesaver. I understand that for those who don't have an HPWC that it is more of a hassle.

Ok I'm a newbe (two weeks ownership). Love the idea of a full charge every morning when I wake up. I will probably never need to recharge (when out and about) but I feel the need to pack the mobile connector in the trunk every time we leave. Paranoid or what? Do you pack it every trip out of the house or just leave it at home? I'm not talking about any expected long trips but I am rural and my trips usually run anywhere from 30 to 150 miles when running into town.

Cal

Yes! I bought a second mobile connector to keep in the car, and I've used it on several occasions where I couldn't have predicted I would. I also carry a 25-foot 10-gauge 120V extension cord.

I bought a spare to charge at work because they put in a NEMA 14-50 outlet in for me. I use the spare to plug into work and the other one is always plugged in at home. I didn't want to keep plugging and unplugging at home so got the spare. Plus in case something does happen to the MC at work I can still charge at home. Less anxiety for me having the second MC.

I bought a 50' 50 amp. 240 volt extension cord to take on trips (with my UMC, of course) in case I can't get close to power. For instance, at a friend's summer home I could throw it through a window and hijack his NEMA 14-50 stove outlet. That cord weights a ton! Takes two people to coil it back up.
I have the 30' 50 amp extension cord and have to wrestle with it, 50' must weigh nearly 80lbs!