TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do you display range (M/KM) or battery percentage?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Thunder7ga, Aug 12, 2018.

?

Do you display range (M/KM) or battery percentage?

This poll will close on Aug 12, 2019 at 8:41 AM.
  1. Range

43 vote(s)
    64.2%
  2. Battery Percentage

24 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

I am on the fence on which I like....PERCENTAGE is what I have currently but knowing the miles/km left could be nice too, but psychology may mess with me when I start to see that number get low. :)

2. dmcmillen

dmcmillen Member

Percentage, always. Range is too variable based on a number of conditions (driving style, highway/city, temperature) and I just don't worry about it.

• Like x 1
  3. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

How do you handle your ICE car now? I always show range. True, I also have a gas gauge,, but I rely on range much more. I would rely on whatever you use now.

4. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

I think that is why I use percentage...kind of like a normal ICE gauge...but its just an adjustment overall going away from ICE which I am loving so far.

5. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

Ultimately, I wish it would show BOTH.

• Like x 3
  6. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

I started with range, but as I got a better feel of this, I switched to percentage. I think for trips, I will go back to range but daily driving its not needed.

7. WhiteMountains

For daily driving, it doesn’t matter. I use percentage because I saw a lot of posts here about people seeing the range change while they were driving and becoming alarmed about something that is just an estimate based on previous driving. Mostly I do slow drives to work, so my range is normally huge. That doesn’t help when I am taking a trip because the energy consumption is completely different.

8. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I wish the Nav changed at the same time.

9. Zoomit

Zoomit Member

??...except the range indiction does not change based on previous driving. It’s a straight conversion from usable battery state of charge. It assumes a constant ~240Wh/mi.

10. SDRick

SDRick Member

11. sreams

sreams Member

My 2003 BMW shows both fuel level (obviously) and range in miles. And I find the range indicator more useful than the fuel level gauge.

12. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

darn - waited too long to edit
    I have the display set to range - but when you use the nav it still shows percentage in its estimates which is really annoying.
    It would be nice to be consistent.
    On that subject, it would be great if you could choose your own warning limits.
    Turning the battery indicator to yellow (from green) with 60 miles left (I guess 20%) is a bit annoying