Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you drive an EV? Be part of our research – 5min Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello EV enthusiasts!

In order to increase sustainable development and road safety, we need to learn about your commuting and preferred vehicle safety technologies. We are researchers at the National Transportation Center at Morgan State University and through this five-minute online survey, you can support our study. You must be at least 18 years old in order to participate. Participation in this survey is voluntary and all information will be kept anonymous and confidential. Please use the link below to join our survey.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1LAX...?usp=send_form

We look forward to your participation and appreciate your support. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE SUPPORTING OUR RESEARCH, PLEASE REDISTRIBUTE THE LINK TO YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS, COLLEAGUES, AND FRIENDS.

Note: This research is conducted under the direction of Dr. Andrew Farkas and Dr. Hyeonshic Shin at National Transportation Center at Morgan State University and approved by the MSU Institutional Review Board.

Thank you!

There is one question where it asks if you use it for work or not work destination. Many of us use it for both. In my case work is a little less than 50%. I guess whomever created the survey thinks that electric cars are just secondary commuting cars. This is an attitude common to those who have never had a real electric car.

I guess whomever created the survey thinks that electric cars are just secondary commuting cars. This is an attitude common to those who have never had a real electric car.

I remember hearing a a government funding official tell me why they funded a certain work place charging for hybrid cars because they didn't expect people to drive electric cars when "all purpose" hybrid cars were available.

This person was shocked to learn that the actual cars at this work place was grossly lopsided in favor or all-electric cars.

Of course, the "official" didn't drive any EV at all.

There is one question where it asks if you use it for work or not work destination. Many of us use it for both. In my case work is a little less than 50%. I guess whomever created the survey thinks that electric cars are just secondary commuting cars.
Transportation "researchers" cannot imagine that Tesla owners use their cars for both work and pleasure, and often their Tesla (or Teslas) are their only vehicle(s)? Sounds like that survey is seriously flawed.

Our primary reason was not the fact that its an EV or any of the other things that go with that. It was the fact that the EV drivetrain allowed it to have a huge amount of interior space and cargo space. In addition we loved that it was a sedan that could seat 7!

They also don't have "Convenience of charging vs. filling up gas" as a top 3 reason for purchasing an EV.

Because surely charging must be less convenient, right...

Yeah. Cursing every time I had to drive to the gas station and stand in the freezing cold pumping gas was actually my top #1 reason for purchasing an electric car. Poor survey design. I put "available charging facilities" (meaning my house).

There is one question where it asks if you use it for work or not work destination. Many of us use it for both. In my case work is a little less than 50%. I guess whomever created the survey thinks that electric cars are just secondary commuting cars. This is an attitude common to those who have never had a real electric car.

Just took the survey. Actually, it asks for your "primary" use of the vehicle. They both can't be your primary reasons.

I think the survey is well written. From the questions, it seems to be more about justifying EVSE's in mass transit parking lots, which would make total sense ... if it weren't for the fact that my home electricity rates are actually LOWER than the bus/train fares!!

From the questions, it seems to be more about justifying EVSE's in mass transit parking lots, which would make total sense ... if it weren't for the fact that my home electricity rates are actually LOWER than the bus/train fares!!
That's the feeling I got as well. I did leave a comment that for me to take public transportation would cost much more than driving an EV, and that includes paying over $200/month for a parking spot! That's just wrong on many levels, yet such is the nature of public transportation from the 'burbs.

Hello,
We would like to thank all the people who have taken the time to answer our survey. We appreciate your support and have also improved our survey based on some of your comments. If you would like to know more about our study, feel free to visit http://www.matsutc.org/mode-choice-between-electric-vehicles-and-rail-transit-for-commute-trips/
Due to the high number of responses, we have been able to expand our research from state level to national level.
If you have not taken our survey yet, please do so. Your opinion matters to us.
Sincerely,
The National Transportation Center @ Morgan State University