Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

do you drive better or worse, faster or slower than in the past?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wondered if people felt they drove better or worse, faster or slower in their Tesla than in previous cars.
I feel that on one hand I probably drive slower as I am more often sticking the car in autopilot and leaving it at 70 instead of zipping between cars trying to get ahead. On the other hand the temptation to pull 0-30 or 0-60 and feel that acceleration is great and perhaps on non freeway streets I drive a little more rapidly and with tend to zip between cars more often, take turns a little faster and generally be a little more of an asshole than i did before. That said, given that my previous car was 50 years old with a tendency for the engine to cutout at inopportune moments like in the middle of an intersection I tended to be very cautious.
The Tesla represents something of a dilemma. One one hand it is very pleasant to just put on autopilot and just babysit, though i admit it's super easy to just zone out (I missed 3 exits on the first day I had the car before I realised I had no idea where I was). On the other hand it's such fun to drive fully focused and in control. The best of both worlds!

• Funny
Reactions: forkee
I found recently with the purchase of the biggest motorcycle I ever had and the MS that I tend to go slower... like nothing to prove... I could beat that guy off the line, but why?

On the other hand, I followed (and video'd) a guy this morning who was obviously texting...all over the road, nearly head on with another car on the two lane highway.... and even after that close call, he just kept doing it, running off the other side of the road repeatedly. When I was younger you stayed off the roads after 2am on friday and saturdays due to the drunks. Now a days anyone can be a drunk driver in 5 seconds flat thanks to texting.

I'm not driving any different, other than that I use every opportunity I have to step on the accelerator pedal to feel the instant torque when passing a slow car. It's addicting. But on average, I'm driving the same. I don't go over 15 above the speed limit to avoid getting flagged down.

On the freeway driving a Tesla is just a lot more relaxing.

Reactions: oscarfish
Faster. I just cannot get enough of the instant torque without the drama and noise from an engine. That said, I am more conservative in traffic on busy roads with traffic lights (one pedal driving) and on well marked highways in traffic (EAP).

I have noticed that I sometimes frustrate drivers behind me when approaching traffic lights. People are used to a car barreling up to the car in front as it approaches a stop light. I approach much slower now with regenerative braking and I’ve looked in my rear view mirror a few times and a couple of people don’t quite get why I’m moving so slowly. They want me to go faster just to stop.

I drive slower than I used to (much closer to the limit), but accelerate faster, especially from a full stop.

Using the TACC or EAP I don't feel I need to drive over the limit, I'll just let the car drive me. Feels much more relaxing than in my ICE car, don't know why though, it should be the same.

However I like to accelerate quickly up to the speed limit, both as others have mentioned, the instant torque, but sometimes also to annoy those who are driving much faster than the limit.
For me there is no greater joy than being overtaken by a Audi going 90 in a 70 zone, catching up with them at the red light, and then leaving them in the dust by reaching 70 again in no time. Of course they will overtake me again quickly, but I don't mind, just as long as I (and they) know there is no real competition.
Sometimes I think I can see the vain in their forehead when they pass me again, it is just the best!

• Love
Reactions: forkee and Skione65
The instant torque is like a drug. I drive about the same speeds as before Tesla but I get to those speeds FAR sooner.

Previous daily driver (and current Tesla trade-in) was a Mercedes SL550. It was zippy for an ICE but it just can't compete.

I drive the same, its everyone else who seems to be driving really slow now....

vxsqd8t-57025d5893d45.gif

Faster. I just cannot get enough of the instant torque without the drama and noise from an engine. That said, I am more conservative in traffic on busy roads with traffic lights (one pedal driving) and on well marked highways in traffic (EAP).

I have noticed that I sometimes frustrate drivers behind me when approaching traffic lights. People are used to a car barreling up to the car in front as it approaches a stop light. I approach much slower now with regenerative braking and I’ve looked in my rear view mirror a few times and a couple of people don’t quite get why I’m moving so slowly. They want me to go faster just to stop.

Agree completely here...
when I’m doing the driving, I tend to go faster and ‘punch it’ just to feel the torque.
When I’m cruising on EAP trying to save my range, it tends to be slower as you can only set at 5+ speed limit. It’s definatey scary watching the guy behind always approaching too quickly and probably getting pissed as the braking , lane maintenance and follow distance perfectly mimics the driving behavior of a 90 year old half blind driver.

There was a video someone posted awhile back with a pickup driver raging while following on EAP... I get it now.

It's been a mixture. I'm actually way calmer and driving the speed limit since I'm still getting used to the car and want to avoid dings before I get paint protection installed. But I'm punching it often and randomly taking freeway detours just so I can slam the accelerator at the onramp.

When I went from a rusty old Nissan Sentra to a brand-new Grand Prix, I was a super-aggressive driver for like 3 years. I just hope that with 20 additional years of accumulated wisdom & patience, the transition from Leaf to 3-AWD goes smoother (& quicker) than that.

Mashing the pedal up the ~10% grade street into my neighborhood was fun, though, when I rented a 3 for the day...so who knows?