Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you drive more with your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious about something. Do you find yourself driving more with your Tesla than you did with an ICE car? Why or why not?

As I wait for my M3LR in the next couple weeks, I _think_ I’m going to be driving more for pleasure because the driving dynamics and experience will just be more fun. Do folks think it’s moreso the case with their Teslas compared to other new car honeymoon experiences they’ve had in the past?

I’m less hesitant to drive short trips for errands and such because now I don’t have to worry about engine wear. Electricity costs are trivial for short trips. I no longer take the back roads for fun though. It’s just not as fun as my last car and I prioritize efficiency and time over that stuff now.

Reactions: holmgang
I definitely drove more with my first Tesla. More fun (instant torque, regen, pod-racer sound; and less fatigue on long drives with less noise, vibration and smells), with less cost, waste and pollution. At least, comparing it to ICE cars. I did do some similar driving when I had ICE motorcycles.

The difference is not as great after 12 years of Tesla driving, but I still will take an occasional drive - or more often, take a longer route - that I did not do in ICE cars.

...Do you find yourself driving more with your Tesla than you did with an ICE car? Why or why not?...
My radius of travel is 600 miles: Sacramento in the North, San Diego in the South, Reno/Nevada in the West, and the coast in the East.

I used to drive Prius and I tried to save gasoline so my annual mileage was about 5,000 miles. When I needed to go out of town, I just flew.

When I got my first Tesla in 2012, I was no longer worried about gasoline prices anymore. I've stopped flying and I've been driving Tesla instead.

Instead of waiting for hours in the airport, it's much more fun to drive in my Tesla. My annual mileage was increased from 5,000 to 40,000 miles.

Before I bought Tesla, I thought I would drive less due to charging anxiety. Everyone I talked to also predicted the same. But after I got Tesla, it's no longer the case because I've planned in advance.

I never took road trips before getting my Model 3 in July 2020 but now I take one as often as I can. I’ve put 21k miles on the car in that time - my previous car was 10 years old and had 75k miles on it. I also volunteer to drive my son to and from his Dad’s to have a reason to get in the car. I have dozens of potential road trips planned in A Better Route Planner.

Just curious about something. Do you find yourself driving more with your Tesla than you did with an ICE car? Why or why not?

As I wait for my M3LR in the next couple weeks, I _think_ I’m going to be driving more for pleasure because the driving dynamics and experience will just be more fun. Do folks think it’s moreso the case with their Teslas compared to other new car honeymoon experiences they’ve had in the past?
Yes because it's more fun.

right now have 12000 kms ,,bought march of 2020
i drive exactly as i did with ice car...for me..just go to work ..back and forth..as well only when have to do errands as grocery shopping...for i comes down to wear and tear on a car...other cars i had for 20 years..same thing...drive when you only have to...ice car things do happen with time..hole in exhaust,,strut on acr..thats it for 20 years on both my 20 year old cars...but with the tesla, the only thing that has really changed compared to my ice cars,,is parking..i try to park away from everyone, unlike my older ice cars..

Yup, I definitely drive my Tesla more than any other car I've owned. I look for reasons to go drive it. Hell, sometimes I just go drive it for no reason at all.

I live in the desert (we stay within 5F of Las Vegas, NV temps year round, so yeah... .hot summers), and the excuse of "it's too hot outside to go for a drive" no longer applies with the Tesla. Not only does the AC keep you cool in the desert heat, but there's just no reason to not leave the AC on while you go inside a store/restaurant, etc. And our pups love Dog Mode!

We pay 6 cents kW/h for electricity here, too, so "gas is too expensive to just go for a drive" isn't a valid excuse, either. It works out to just over two cents per mile for "gas".

I drove it more, initially. As I do with all new cars that enter my garage.
Then I re-adjusted to the new assortment of cars, and went back to driving the car that generates the most fun and smiles / mile. And for me, Model 3 did not rise to the top.

TM3 is a great all-around daily driver. But depending on your alternatives and prior experiences, you may easily find it lacking in many aspects.
It's all good.
You will have fun with your new toy!

HTH,
a