Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you drive on the Chill vs Standard mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can use Chill mode to start with, just to get used to the car, then go to Standard. If you don't you are cheating yourself out of the car's great acceleration. You just need to avoid being a lead foot driver, unless you need / want it! :cool:

Had my M3LR for about 3weeks now. Started in chill, had a play in normal, reverted back to chill. It’s more than enough acceleration in UK imo. That & I assume it enhances the range too (or am I wrong?)

I also use chill in the belief that it helps range. I’ve been thinking of going to standard but all my settings are mild, for example I have the steering on comfort and on the most car lengths

Does chill mode increase your efficiency when you're on the highway?
No. Chill mode has no impact on efficiency, highway or city. It simply limits maximum acceleration, which most people can do fine with their right foot. When my wife first got her Model 3, she ran around in Chill Mode for a short time, until she became accustomed to the throttle. After a few weeks, she turned back to standard, so she could have the fastest acceleration possible if ever needed.

Does chill mode increase your efficiency when you're on the highway?
Anecdotally I think it does. Even in Autopilot on the highway, the gentler acceleration of Chill vs Standard should lead to lower energy consumption. Not as big of a deal as driving in the city, but I still get slowed down by traffic or construction on the highway that requires me to accelerate.

Chill on snow and ice, Ludicrous otherwise.
You would think so. But the X (all Teslas actually) refuse to spin their wheels. If the car senses lack of traction, it will only apply the amount of power it thinks it can use. Try it sometime by flooring it on a very slippery surface. It will not accelerate beyond what the road surface will allow. It is really quite impressive (IMO). I would think it be even more impressive with Plaid, with its three motors.