Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you drive on the Chill vs Standard mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also use chill in the belief that it helps range. I’ve been thinking of going to standard but all my settings are mild, for example I have the steering on comfort and on the most car lengths
Wife uses chill and I use standard. I have not seen any noticeable difference of increased range when she drives. Sometimes she does the driving to San Diego and back. Sometimes I do the driving. Over that 1100 mile trip, I haven't seen any change attributed to whether or not chill is used. She likes that mode though. As others have said, it is more than enough acceleration and far more than her ice car.

Also if you read manual it says to increase your efficiency turn on chill mode. So Tesla disagree with forum folks.

First entry in increasing range is to use chill mode.

Though it doesn't specifically say it will increase range. Some people are able to be very efficient with standard. Though I seriously doubt many are. And if you're working that hard to be efficient with standard mode, might as well just use chill and relax.

Reactions: DCGOO and WhiteWi
You would think so. But the X (all Teslas actually) refuse to spin their wheels. If the car senses lack of traction, it will only apply the amount of power it thinks it can use. Try it sometime by flooring it on a very slippery surface. It will not accelerate beyond what the road surface will allow. It is really quite impressive (IMO). I would think it be even more impressive with Plaid, with its three motors.
I find Chill makes finesse easier on icy roads. More forgiving on possible human error on my part.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom
I get that some people art not interested in the minutiae, but there is a whole category of inefficiency outside the normal range of inefficient things people do with Teslas.

I get that there is running your heater, I get that there is vampire drain. But ask any hypermiler and you will learn there are many ways to travel the same circuit (same distance, same elevation change, same average speed etc) and the hypermiler can do it more efficiently simply by BEING PATIENT ABOUT GETTING TO A CERTAIN TARGET SPEED. ie never use large amounts of acceleration. Ie don't make the temporary power usage too high at any given moment. Ie never withdraw energy from the pack at a high rate. Ie dont cause cells to expend energy too quickly. Ie don't incur (unmetered, but real) "resistive losses" *within the pack* due to high current flows.

Ie use chill mode and don't stomp on the go pedal.

If you want to be efficient.

I dont: I mash the thing. I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do. I'm just saying chill mode efficiency gains are real.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I get that some people art not interested in the minutiae, but there is a whole category of inefficiency outside the normal range of inefficient things people do with Teslas.

I get that there is running your heater, I get that there is vampire drain. But ask any hypermiler and you will learn there are many ways to travel the same circuit (same distance, same elevation change, same average speed etc) and the hypermiler can do it more efficiently simply by BEING PATIENT ABOUT GETTING TO A CERTAIN TARGET SPEED. ie never use large amounts of acceleration. Ie don't make the temporary power usage too high at any given moment. Ie never withdraw energy from the pack at a high rate. Ie dont cause cells to expend energy too quickly. Ie don't incur (unmetered, but real) "resistive losses" *within the pack* due to high current flows.

Ie use chill mode and don't stomp on the go pedal.

If you want to be efficient.

I dont: I mash the thing. I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do. I'm just saying chill mode efficiency gains are real.
I TRY not to mash the go peddle, I TRY to be patient about getting places, always prided myself on being someone who can make a set of brake pads last much longer than the norm by reading traffic ahead on motorways & easing off early rather than braking. However the first 2 are so damn difficult 😂, the 3rd is impossible when using an ICE car with adaptive cruise now. Regen brakes obviously help with the 3rd but I’m still not a fan of adaptive cruise for use in UK. I don’t like the drive up behind something then slowing down with brakes, I prefer to look ahead and ease off the loud peddle, makes for a smoother ride ime. Yes I know you lose the regen bit but if you don’t lose speed by braking you don’t need to use power to get back upto speed either. Yes you can change the amount of regen & it’s characteristics BUT again it’s in a sub menu whereas other manufacturers have utilised the paddles behind the steering wheel to adjust (wife’s Kona E has this). Don’t get me wrong I love my M3 ….. so far but am in the honeymoon period. I just think they could still improve a lot and that some things should have been left well alone lol. I like driving (even in UK with it’s overcrowded, selfish driver filled roads), the whole let a car drive itself deal just is not for me at all, I could get a taxi if I want to be driven lol.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
I’ve been in chill mode for a while... and the car accelerates well...but it’s like the pedal is floating in treacle, it’s just requires more effort with your foot. So I had a plan that for long journeys I would use standard mode, just to ease the muscle use in my right foot and have a relaxing journey. So while thinking about this thread I decided to put the car in standard mode just to prove myself right...and it is just so much more fun!
So my new philosophy is, while I’m close to home and charging is no problem I will use standard mode and just enjoy the car....and chill for long journeys when I need to preserve my range..

Reactions: Xdama
Also if you read manual it says to increase your efficiency turn on chill mode. So Tesla disagree with forum folks.
This is news to me. That wasn't the case when the mode first came out. IIRC, Tesla or Elon specifically indicated that chill was NOT an eco mode.

Also, to respond to the OP, the ONLY time I have EVER used chill is when I was forced to due to the newer loaner lockdowns. Prior to that, it was always Ludicrous in loaners and rentals that support it or standard in my own X, even in the snow.

I tried Chill mode once. While some may like it; I felt It it was like driving a 1950's Chev with a Power Glide transmission. You stepped on the throttle and waited for something to happen. I immediately when back to Standard mode. If you like it use, good that it's an option.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom