Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you drive with your fog lights on? (POLL)

Do you drive with the fog lights on?

• Yes

Votes: 119 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 100 45.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the problem with using fog lights at night? They aren't distracting or interfere with traffic. They are useful if you live in areas with deer, etc.

Illegal here in Australia to drive with your fog lights on unless there's fog.
I've been pulled over for it.
Are you talking about a rear fog light? We are discussing the front ones that aren't very bright.

The brake light actuator doesn't seem to be affected by the level of g force generated by regen braking.
I do lift gently but the brake light came on at the same pedal position during my experiment. I was disappointed to see that also.
You should test it sometime.

Or course it is. I've tested it 5 years ago when I picked up my new S with wife following me home. She called me on my cell and asked me why I kept on braking. My habit was even worse than most since I've been driving stick shift cars. It took me just a little while to but soon as you figured it out it became a natural thing to do. I can easily tell which Tesla are driven newbies by following them. There had been a lot of discussions about this on Tesla forums too. it should be put as sticky because a lot new owners probably had never heard of it (until they got tailgated because some drivers think they are brake checking them). Like I said it's a much more pleasant way to drive the Tesla, and most EV too, after you learned how to regulate the pedal smoothly instead abruptly. There is no longer the need to do that.

Last edited:
I'm curious of the communities consensus on this. Personally I think that fog lights in general make the front fascia on the Model 3 looks nicer especially during/after sunset. Would like to know if others would think this is annoying or not.
Thanks
I'm not a person that does things for how it looks to others. I do it for function when I need it. I'm not annoyed to see it on other cars.

Reactions: tracksyde
I keep it respectful and only enable them only if it is foggy out. That said, I've found that the Model 3 fogs are well aimed to prevent oncoming glare.

I'd wager most people don't even realize they are driving with their fogs on 100% of the time, since it's almost always a tiny switch/button, or in our case, a touchscreen option in a menu. Mine was enabled when I took delivery, but I turned it off.

The brake light actuator doesn't seem to be affected by the level of g force generated by regen braking.
I do lift gently but the brake light came on at the same pedal position during my experiment. I was disappointed to see that also.
You should test it sometime.

it is definitely triggered by deceleration force, not the pedal. Test this at highway speeds. There's not enough deceleration to trigger the lights where you'd expect the pedal to do so on local streets.

Reactions: Big Earl
Why would front fogs be illegal to use? They point down and out, so they don't impact other cars. I've heard of rear fog, since it is extremely bright and only for bad weather.
In most North American jurisdictions, it's illegal to use fog lights without the headlights being on--even in the fog. So the fog lights are rendered useless. Also many fog lights are not adjusted correctly and do impact other drivers.

What is the problem with using fog lights at night? They aren't distracting or interfere with traffic. They are useful if you live in areas with deer, etc.

Not unless your deer are size of a cat and jump towards the car from 10 feet away.
The best way to spot a deer at night is to shine high beams and watch for reflections off the eyes.

Fog lights illuminate the area near and to the side of the front of the car. If it's an animal that's moving towards you, and you haven't noticed until it is 10-15 feet away from your car within fog light coverage, it will become a good ornament.

Fog lights are somewhat helpful in super heavy fog, when you have to slow down to 20-30mph just to stay on the road. In that case, fog lights help you find that edge of the road better than low beams. That's about it.
Otherwise, they are purely for decorative purposes.

Are you talking about a rear fog light? We are discussing the front ones that aren't very bright.

Model 3's don't have rear for lights (can't speak for other models), and thanks God for that.
Those things are supremely annoying when they are needlessly turned on.

Brake lights are triggered by accelerometer not amount of regen although there is probably a correlation between the two. It turns on brake lights when deceleration exceeds certain amount.
As an example, when going down a relatively steep hill, you can maintain speed with your foot nearly off the accelerator. There is no brake light triggered when maintaining speed. Only when decelerating to a certain g.

Oh, and yes I keep "fog" lights on at all times. I consider them auxiliary lights, not suited to fog. True fog lights would be independent of the main headlamps. In a real fog, and I mean real fog, the headlights would obscure the road ahead because they are high and the cut-off is also high.