Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you drive with your fog lights on?

Do you always drive with your fog lights on?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know/other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

halfricanguy

Model 3 - LR RWD - MSM
Apr 18, 2018
NC, USA
When I owned a Mazda 3, I drove with the fog lights on when the lights were always on because I thought it made the car look cooler. Getting my Model 3, the fog light setting was already on and I've left it that way - every time the lights come on the fog lights will come on too.

But now I'm curious as to what other people do. I don't know how annoying the extra light is to other drivers. Also, not related, but apparently some car makers are doing away with them.

My other car is a BMW, so “yes” to fog lights and “no” to turn signals.

BMW life rule number 1,487:

Fog lights will be used as the primary form of night time illumination if they can be turned on independent of the headlights (i.e fog lights can be activated with just parking lights on). This can be justified by referring to “fog lights” as “driving lights” for the nonbelievers.

Reactions: RScottyL
I probably would have turn them on if I was driving an ICE car, but with an electric car, I felt like why am I wasting "fuel" on something that is completely unnecessary and I can't even see it. With my old car, the fog lights also made the road brighter. With the Model 3, the regular highlights are brighter than any other cars I have driven, I really don't need more lights.

Reactions: gecko10x
Driving with fog loghts on is illegal if there are cars in front of you. The rules are essentially the same as for high beam usage. (At least in most states.)

This is not the case in CA. As long as the fog lights meet the specified height placement requirements, CA allows drivers to use them whenever they want.

If the use of fog lights in your state is illegal it would be “illuminating” (pun intended) to learn which state you are in so we can turn off our fog lights when visiting.

This is not the case in CA. As long as the fog lights meet the specified height placement requirements, CA allows drivers to use them whenever they want.

If the use of fog lights in your state is illegal it would be “illuminating” (pun intended) to learn which state you are in so we can turn off our fog lights when visiting.

I did say in most states. For example it is in Oregon: ODOT: Some drivers in a fog over proper fog lights use

According to Oregon law, fog and/or auxiliary lights must be used like the high beam headlight system of your car. They must be turned off when within 500 feet of an oncoming vehicle and within 350 feet when following another vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: XHabjab
Gotta love per-state regulations for this stuff.

FWIW, from a practical standpoint, the Model S and Model 3 fog lights are both low to the ground and relatively low intensity beams. I don't see a big issue with keeping them on, unlike certain SUVs with ridiculously bright fog lights.

It adds a little bit of peripheral illumination that's lacking in the standard beam pattern, which I find helpful for spotting pedestrians and animals.

In California, indeed, fog lights (and auxiliary lights) are allowed in any circumstance where the low beam may be used. In addition, they must always be operated in conjunction with low beams (that is, never with just fog lights, and never fog lights + high beams)

Reactions: halfricanguy