Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you ever go to a gas station to clean your windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
Just took delivery yesterday and got to thinking...

In the winter, do you still go to a gas station to use their squeegee to clean snow-related road dirt off your windshield, headlights and back window?
If not, what's your method to clean it?

Ick. Those places are smelly, noisy, and dirty. Plus, there are carcinogenic chemicals all over the place. I avoid them like I avoid toxic waste dumps.

I carry a bottle of spray window cleaner and microfiber cloths in the frunk. You can also buy cans of premoistened disposable window cleaning wipes.

If it was really bad and I was away from home I'd go by a self service wash bay.

Just took delivery yesterday and got to thinking...

In the winter, do you still go to a gas station to use their squeegee to clean snow-related road dirt off your windshield, headlights and back window?
If not, what's your method to clean it?

I used to all the time. Now I carry winded and a squeegee. Wonder how everyone else does it...?

Ick. Those places are smelly, noisy, and dirty. Plus, there are carcinogenic chemicals all over the place. I avoid them like I avoid toxic waste dumps.

I carry a bottle of spray window cleaner and microfiber cloths in the frunk. You can also buy cans of premoistened disposable window cleaning wipes.

If it was really bad and I was away from home I'd go by a self service wash bay.

I do the same thing -- I keep a bunch of microfibre cloths, windex, and a spray bottle with just water. I have this bottle:

ZEP 32 oz. Professional Sprayer-HDPRO36 - The Home Depot

And on its "jet" setting, it's strong enough to take off bird crap that's even had a few hours to set in.

I also have opti-coat, so I just wait until it rains really hard and drive around instead of going to the car wash.

I have done it. Stretch legs, use ATM, buy a soda, wash windows, get a packet of beef jerky.... Some habits die hard. Funny, the old Tesla website used to encourage one to calculate the value of time saved not stopping at gas stations into the savings equations, but sometimes ya gotta stop for a slurpee...

When I pulled into a gas station on recent trip to clean windows, and use washroom, and parked at the pump.... I felt guilty for doing a reverse ICED.

"Some poor gas car was going to be deprived of filling up", thought I.

I actually moved the car to a different spot out of the way.

My wife bought me a new squeegee that I keep at home with a bucket of water in the garage.

Hey! Ever gone to a full service gas station, pull in and say "fill 'er up"?

Last edited:
I feel going to gas stations is a great evangelism technique. Inevitably someone asks about the car. And I just love blocking a gas pump..... kinda sticking it back to them in some small way.

For my daily driving, I usually stop at the same gas station that we'd used for years to gas up other cars.... I know the owner and I've given them enough money over the years in gas and mechanical repairs I figure I can use their squeegee and leave.

In my experience at any random gas station is there are enough cars pulling in or leaving that no one really notices. Go for it! :)

-m