Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you feel safe? [ Calling all HW2 EAP pilots.]

Do you feel safe using EAP? ( as of CY Q1-Q2 2017)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do trust it to the extent that I'm always ready to take over control and I drive with hands on the wheel at all times.

On city roads (which are sometimes quite narrow here in Europe) I'm very cautious using it. In slow highway traffic I'm more confident in the system.

That said, there are vastly room for improvement and it will take a bit of time before I'm fully confident in the system and are able to relax a bit more when using it. But I see big improvements with each update, so I feel sure that it will not be long before I am able to do this.

It feels like there is a big difference in perception between those who understand that they are into new technology, and those who expect to buy a fully developed premium car. The first group is curious but cautious, the second group is disappointed that it doesn't do what they expected ("I paid for this").

I own the car for a week now, and yes, it has glitches but when used with the knowledge that it isn't reliable yet, it is a fantastic experience to see the car handle itself in dense stop and go traffic.

Knowing a little bit about what goes on in the "brains" of this car, I am excited to be in the driver seat while this thing learns and gets better with every iteration.

Just my 2 cents...

My experience suggests that "being ready to take control" currently is too damn late with AP2. On AP2 drives, you had best have your hands strategically placed on both sides of the steering wheel to assure that any sudden change in direction is automatically blocked AND corrected. In other words, AP2 self-steering functionality should be severely restricted using both of your hands at all times. I treat it as just as dangerous as driving on icy roads, and our Tesla with AP2 engaged has proven me right many, many times unfortunately.

My experience suggests that "being ready to take control" currently is too damn late with AP2. On AP2 drives, you had best have your hands strategically placed on both sides of the steering wheel to assure that any sudden change in direction is automatically blocked AND corrected. In other words, AP2 self-steering functionality should be severely restricted using both of your hands at all times. I treat it as just as dangerous as driving on icy roads, and our Tesla with AP2 engaged has proven me right many, many times unfortunately.

I agree. With TACC my confidence level is at 80%. With AutoSteer I'm on the edge. Confidence level less than 50%. I'm only using it to gather data and when it works it's beautiful. But now I'm considering to stop using it all together until Tesla get their act together. I'm starting to think they don't have the right software team for the job (yet).

I'm amazed at all the comments I read about people using auto steer on city roads. IT ISN"T MEANT FOR THAT.
This thread is about EAP, and EAP now has Local Autosteer enabled.

img_0794-jpg.214897

autopilot-accident-2-gif.gif

So I watched this over and over and can't understand one thing. Why did the radars not have priority over the dumb lane markings?

Other questions :

Was it the SUV to the right that made it unsafe to swerve to the right ?

Why no collision warning ?

I know this is AP1 , however did this replace mobile eye software?

Did tesla ever comment on this? We need to learn and share from every failure !

• Love
Reactions: josher32
I'm amazed at all the comments I read about people using auto steer on city roads. IT ISN"T MEANT FOR THAT. Divided highways only and you'll have a happier life.

If Auto-steer is not meant for local roads then why did they release it as such? Also comments about only using it on straight divided roads why market it as the following:

Auto-Steer.jpg

I happened to see the icon for the first time on a local side road and I activated it to see how it did and within a few seconds when the lane lines faded away the car veered right directly towards a curb. Don't blame users for testing features a car company rolls out. If the car is not capable of handling local driving then dont roll out and activate a feature.

autopilot-accident-2-gif.gif

So I watched this over and over and can't understand one thing. Why did the radars not have priority over the dumb lane markings?

Other questions :

Was it the SUV to the right that made it unsafe to swerve to the right ?

Why no collision warning ?

I know this is AP1 , however did this replace mobile eye software?

Did tesla ever comment on this? We need to learn and share from every failure !

Radar does not detect anything that is not moving, including the concrete barrier that this car hit.

Autopilot did exactly what it is designed to do, stay in the center of the marked lane.

The driver must make the judgement if the car should stay in the lane (as marked) or not. If there is a pothole that needs to be avoided, a stopped car or any object in the lane, or a fricking concrete wall blocking the lane, the driver must detect it and manually steer or brake to avoid it.

GSP

Radar does not detect anything that is not moving, including the concrete barrier that this car hit.

Autopilot did exactly what it is designed to do, stay in the center of the marked lane.

The driver must make the judgement if the car should stay in the lane (as marked) or not. If there is a pothole that needs to be avoided, a stopped car or any object in the lane, or a fricking concrete wall blocking the lane, the driver must detect it and manually steer or brake to avoid it.

GSP

Why can't the radar detect anything that's not moving ? That makes no sense. Doesn't FCW work with this principle ? Unusually fast approaching obstacle ?

I agree with you that it can't detect potholes and the fact that the driver should have paid attention and maneuvered to safety.

@DJ 240V,

I am not an expert on radar, but from what I have read everything that is not moving just is one blurry field that does not allow objects to be recognized. Radar can detect objects that are moving with respect to the stationary background since they will send back a different velocity than the background.

GSP

PS. FCW uses the camera. Lots of cars without radar, like my 2014 Chevy Volt, have FCW. FCW and AEB are not guaranteed to detect hazards, but they can help in situations where the driver is distracted and they do detect a hazard in time to reduce the speed at impact. Statistically, this makes them valuable driver aids, but they are not a substitute for good driving.

PPS. Tesla has made an attempt to resolve some large objects, such as semi-trailers, with radar in ver 8.0 software. As far as I know, no other company has even attempted this.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I am not an expert on radar, but from what I have read everything that is not moving just is one blurry field that does not allow objects to be recognized. Radar can detect objects that are moving with respect to the stationary background since they will send back a different velocity than the background.

GSP

This is true that radar only senses moving objects and laser would have been a better choice. The ultrasonic sensors should have sensed the wall and also sensed that there was room to move on the right but it failed to do so. Part of AP 2.0 is that its supposed to be able to change lanes for you automatically.

"Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage."

The video does not state if this was an AP1 or AP2 vehicle but regardless where AP2.0 is currently at in development it would not have done anything different.

Radar can see stopped objects. That's why it works on stop and go traffic. Radar assesses relative differences in speed. The issue with the barrier is one of programming and the fact it happened so quickly and abruptly that even human drivers nearly crashed speaks volumes about how stupid the local construction handled that situation.

Radar can see stopped objects. That's why it works on stop and go traffic. Radar assesses relative differences in speed. The issue with the barrier is one of programming and the fact it happened so quickly and abruptly that even human drivers nearly crashed speaks volumes about how stupid the local construction handled that situation.

Precisely my point. The fact that it happened so quickly is exactly what a GPU based system should've handled. I agree that humans will find it difficult but remember there is only a report of Tesla crashing into this :( wonder if TACC not slowing down. Had anything to do with it - it's clear from the loop that ththe brake lights only came after the impact .

How do you know that autopilot (TACC) is using the radar instead of the camera in stop and go traffic?

GSP

Reactions: Tomnook