Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you fully extend the Wall Charger’s cable while charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

As you know, there are two lengths of the Tesla Wall Charger. For the longer one, you normally don’t need its full length so, when you charge the car.... do you fully extend the cable or do you keep it rolled on the wall and only unroll the length you need?

Is there any safety issue if you don’t fully extend the cable for charging?

Thanks.

Have had two 24’ HPWC for two years. Used them continuously. There is no issue using the cable coiled. Maybe (maybe) if it were tightly coiled around itself but in a loose coil on the wall, no.

I use the gecko fingers (google on amazon, works excellently) and there the coils of cable are even further apart. But even so they are not even warm. (EE here, and there is no electromagnet effects at this level either.).

I have been using an HPWC since 2013 - and now have two, both with the longer cables. Our first HPWC regularly charged at 80A or 2012 S P85 with dual chargers (which we traded in for our 2018 X).

While the cables and connector will get warm, we've never had any issues with coiling the unused cables. With our first HPWC, we had Tesla's cable organizer where we coiled the unused cables. With the two Gen 2 HPWCs we're using now, the unused cables are coiled over the top of the HPWC.

Based on our experiences over the past 6 years with 1 Gen 1 and 2 Gen 2 HPWCs, I wouldn't worry about coiling the unused cables...

Reactions: emulajavi