Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

do you get irritate by people around you asking about Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have people coming up to me all the time asking how's Tesla driving, charging, price etc. they acted like it's something new, something from another planet. Tesla has been out for over a decade. the prices are well documented, and with federal tax credit and local EV rebate included it's cheaper than Toyota hybrid counterpart. to me at least, if you still on the fence of buying a Tesla, then DON'T, go buy your ICE vehicle because you're a Tesla hater. They're basically looking for reasons not to buy Tesla. and for the last time: NO, YOU CAN NOT NEGOTIATE PRICE FROM TESLA. /vent.

• Funny
Reactions: electricar and KJD
i have people coming up to me all the time asking how's Tesla driving, charging, price etc. they acted like it's something new, something from another planet. Tesla has been out for over a decade. the prices are well documented, and with federal tax credit and local EV rebate included it's cheaper than Toyota hybrid counterpart. to me at least, if you still on the fence of buying a Tesla, then DON'T, go buy your ICE vehicle because you're a Tesla hater. They're basically looking for reasons not to buy Tesla. and for the last time: NO, YOU CAN NOT NEGOTIATE PRICE FROM TESLA. /vent.
Another question, what about all the questions asked by noobs on TMC.
It's OK, 😌 relax ... ohhhhhmmmmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapsEngineer
A large % of the car shopping public are now considering going electric for the first time. They have not closly followed the Tesla product line, but now are facing a serious dilema. Get another ICE which is going out of style, or buying a Tesla which is becoming more mainstream.
They have been exposed to tons of anti-EV media, incuding lots of FUD.
They at least want to consider switching to an EV, but have many fears. Uncertaintly being perhaps the leading one.
They look to Tesla owers to give their experience, and are still hesitant to make the leap, but are also wondering if an EV will work for them.

They are not the enemy. They are just not early adopters, and wondering if an EV would be a possibility for them.

Be patient with their questions and tell them your experience. They may seem rude, but that is just their pre concieved worries coming out.

Most of us were in this situation at some time in the past.

What is driving many of them to EV consideration is the horrible way they are being treated by traditional ICE dealerships.

What’s annoy is people are still complaining the price. I have a coworker who’s making 150k a year and he’s been lurking at Tesla for 3 years now. Every Tesla related news he’s on top of it. He’s been asking people around him any chance he gets about a base model 3. And until today he’s still on the fence because it’s “too expensive”, he’s waiting for the $25k Tesla Elon musk promised. I told him straight up he will never buy a Tesla because he’s a Tesla hater, as simple as that.

• Disagree
Reactions: AS9.9. and gtae07
It's true, initial cost is high. The average price of cars went up quite a bit in the last years in general and they might not be aware. ICE sales tactics are partially to blame as they bring you in with a lowball price that they never sell and the price goes way up by the time you've chosen your options. When buying an EV maintenance costs and energy costs should also be taken into consideration, it's total cost of ownership that should be compared. Then it evens out the field a bit, but EVs are still not cheap for many of us. At that price people would like to be reassured that they'll be fine, especially since it's a change of mindset and way of life, to some extent.

I try to be as realistic as possible when answering their questions, while erasing FUD. I don't paint a pink portrait (probably not the proper English expression but anyway). I appreciate the genuine questions and answer them, as I do here on TMC. I deflect sarcastic comments by laughing at their joke with them.

Or
What’s annoy is people are still complaining the price. I have a coworker who’s making 150k a year and he’s been lurking at Tesla for 3 years now. Every Tesla related news he’s on top of it. He’s been asking people around him any chance he gets about a base model 3. And until today he’s still on the fence because it’s “too expensive”, he’s waiting for the $25k Tesla Elon musk promised. I told him straight up he will never buy a Tesla because he’s a Tesla hater, as simple as that.
Or, maybe he knows his financial situation better than you do! I do pretty well (especially now), but for several years we just kept getting hammered with stuff--five-figure medical bills, a wave of broken appliances, a leaky roof, adoption costs etc.--that set us back enough for a pair of new cars. I know guys who got royally screwed by divorces and the like, and while they make good money on paper they're living in trailers and driving 20 year old econoboxes--and working every scrap of overtime they can to make the alimony and child support payments. Maybe his spouse is now unemployed. Who knows?

To most people the cars are still really danged expensive. Heck, to me they're really danged expensive, and I just ordered one! It wasn't until we had a major shift in our lives a few months ago (regarding commutes and financial position) that I could even consider purchasing a new vehicle (of any brand) with any kind of clean conscience. We've been driving old paid-off ICE vehicles for several years up till now because we weren't driving enough to justify buying anything else. Only after a lot of spreadsheet work to arrive at total capital+operating cost was I able to feel comfortable enough to drop that much cash and take on a fairly large payment, and that's including the tax credit and this year's price cuts. Without those, there's no way I'd have considered a Tesla despite having wanted one for at least two years--we'd probably just try to run our existing cars further into the ground in hopes thing change.

One thing's for sure though--your attitude is never going to convince people. I like GtiMart's approach a lot better--it's the approach one of my dad's friends took. He bought a M3LR in 2021 and his honest experience with it (plus letting everyone including me take it for a drive) sold a lot of EVs to his friends, much more so than "Who cares about the cost, you're just a hater!"

It's true, initial cost is high.
That's still the biggest stumbling block--that, the daily habit changes, and concerns over longer-term viability of the vehicle (for those of us that tend to keep vehicles long after paying them off). It's a deterrent for my (recently retired) parents for sure--they'd be quite happy with at least one EV and maybe a PHEV, but given my dad's 2008 Explorer SporTrac only has about 75k on it (he does a lot of "truck stuff" with it but rarely leaves the county limits) he can't justify an electric truck at $80k or more.

A large % of the car shopping public are now considering going electric for the first time. They have not closly followed the Tesla product line, but now are facing a serious dilema. Get another ICE which is going out of style, or buying a Tesla which is becoming more mainstream.
They have been exposed to tons of anti-EV media, incuding lots of FUD.
They at least want to consider switching to an EV, but have many fears. Uncertaintly being perhaps the leading one.
They look to Tesla owers to give their experience, and are still hesitant to make the leap, but are also wondering if an EV will work for them.

They are not the enemy. They are just not early adopters, and wondering if an EV would be a possibility for them.

Be patient with their questions and tell them your experience. They may seem rude, but that is just their pre concieved worries coming out.

Most of us were in this situation at some time in the past.

What is driving many of them to EV consideration is the horrible way they are being treated by traditional ICE dealerships.

There's an xkcd for every occasion:

We all have stuff we don't know about.

Cars are expensive, EV is new to people, and if they are asking questions, help them learn.

Also for EVs it's always worth remembering that certain sections of the general media have either talked only about weakenesses or just spread misinformation. Bad news sells.

When I bought my Volt I had a colleague tell me the battery would only last 3 years. I'll have had it 10 years later this year. I had the onboard charger fail, but the battery seems fine to me.

That's still the biggest stumbling block--that, the daily habit changes, and concerns over longer-term viability of the vehicle (for those of us that tend to keep vehicles long after paying them off). It's a deterrent for my (recently retired) parents for sure--they'd be quite happy with at least one EV and maybe a PHEV, but given my dad's 2008 Explorer SporTrac only has about 75k on it (he does a lot of "truck stuff" with it but rarely leaves the county limits) he can't justify an electric truck at $80k or more.

Yes. Overcome the price problem and education will quickly cease to be an issue.

Then dont engage with that co worker discussing Tesla? When they ask you about your car, say "its fine, I still like it" and change the subject? Thats better than being annoyed enough to post on message boards about it, right?

You probably consider me as one of those irritating people. I been on the fence from buying a Tesla for 4yrs. I been asking a lot of peoples about their pro and con of owning a Tesla. I owned and drive the same ICE vehicle for almost 20yrs. What concerns me is the terrible CS and SC that I hear and read from this forum. After a long consideration I placed an order in for an MYP last month. If Tesla have a better CS and SC that will helps a lot. You can't really works on EV like you can with ICE. If you don't like the SC for can always work on your own can or take it to a different SC. Unlike EV you don't really have that choice.

Your location says southern cal under your name. There are more teslas in CA than anyplace else in the world, statistically. Im surprised you would be experiencing this here, since at this point, its impossible to drive ANYWHERE here in CA without passing a whole bunch of Teslas (not one or two).
Heh, I had to double check to make sure this is not a 5-year-old thread. Just yesterday when I drove my son to school, there were 5 Tesla's back-to-back pulling into the school drop off area. The last time someone, in SoCal, asked me about Tesla was probably before 2019. I had other people from other countries and other states asked me about it.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
cant believe ppl still debating whether tesla is worth the money when it comes to ev...

just look at china... tesla is super popular in china... china has many ev makers but yet ppl still prefer tesla...

autonomous driving and fsd is unrivalled by anyone for a long long time probably never...

After spending many decades in the car biz I will answer questions about cars just not the one about what to buy because that question is always just looking for confirmation bias.

confirmation bias is a fancy terminology...

what car salesman and dealership do is pure blatant manipulation... they will move the cars needed to be move that will maximize their profit margin and reduce cost/lost of profit...

dealer owner / sales manager tell salesman to sell car X then salesman will tell customers X is the best car to buy... that s confirmation bias if the customer is looki to buy it w great benefit or gain by dealership and salesman...

here among strangers there s really nothing to be gained via confirmation bias if indeed bias is imparted... what the hell do i gain whether you buy an mx or an eqs... ??? nothing...

if you gain nothing and of neutral ground tell it as it is... tesla is the king of ev... period...

the above statement is the truth... all ther other auto makers spent the last decade trying to derail the ev movement with all their might and constant bombardment of fud that they are now behind tesla by a wide margin and having a hard time keeping up... they deserve their lot...

with autonomous driving and ai software in cars being the new frontier... tesla is king...

Last edited: