Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have a charging location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
A few pictures. We mounted in a weatherproof box because the plug is too big for a regular outside outlet with cover. (though people do use those with no issue)

Reactions: pmich80
I definitely won't let anyone make me feel bad for using the superchargers if I don't have any other option, hopefully I will have a way to charge somewhere else in 2 years, but if I don't I will have no problem hitting up the chargers.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. a lot WILL change in 2 years in terms of charging options..

I could not feasibly own a Model S without the Tesla destination chargers that have sprouted around my neighborhood in the past year. I live in a condo and park on the street. I have a garage at work but I will be an old man by the time they add any sort of Level 2 charging solution. (Actually, I dream that they will add the 1st supercharger in a public garage similar to the one at Savannah Airport, and one of the London, UK SuperChargers but at this point it is just a pipe dream)..

I drove around in a Chevy Volt from June'12 to June'15 which was always for me a stop gap measure until charging stations in NYC could become plentiful -- and affordable -- enough to make sense to use them. For the final year of ownership of my Chevy Volt, I ran it on gas 90% of the time b/c the public chargers in NYC were charging $0.49/kWh which was insane.

but all that has changed in the past 2 years with the destination charging program in NYC. it is also a bit serendipitous that I live less than 2 blocks from where Tesla had a temporary showroom and they installed HPWC in that garage. For a long time, these were not part of the Destination Charging program, so I never did try to use them. 3 months ago, they popped up on big Tesla charging map and I have been charging there once or twice a week ever since. Prior to that I was using a HPWC in a garage 5 blocks from my condo. (there are 15 HPWC in a 10 block radius, which I would definitely say is atypical.. but nice to have...)

The Model 3 is at least 2 years away.. I cannot say at what pace Destination Chargers will start to pop up and where.. and I cannot say it will be enough to cover the needs of the thousands of Tesla vehicles of different flavors.. but it is a start. definitely better than nothing...

I will say that at the garage where I charge only has 2 chargers and just this past Thursday after I had dropped off my car to get charged and was exiting on foot I saw another Model S 90D drive in. of course, it is not clear that the 90D was heading for a charge (they may have just wanted to park there), and there are 2 HPWCs at this location.. so he could have gotten charge if he needed it, but I will say I was relieved to have shown up as early as I did b/c I typically don't take my car to the garage until late in the evening. As the the number of Teslas increases, this could become problematic. So far though, I am making it work and I'm confidant that you will too..

My new pic is my (future) charging location....

I am so looking forward to using my 220 that I specifically had them install (upside down?) 2 and a half years ago when I built my house. My gas station....right there in my garage.....love it.
I have no idea where I heard to install it upside down and I will likely need to flip it over....no big deal.
This is actually the "right" way. Leave it alone.

The whole point of the ground is to keep you from zapping yourself or causing fires or otherwise damaging things you don't want damaged. If your plug isn't fully inserted (I bet the majority of plugs in your house have probably slid out at least a little bit), when a metal object falls on the plug, it will hit the ground pin instead of the live, current-carrying contacts which reduces the chances of a short, avoiding the the things I outlined earlier.

This may seem like an unlikely occurrence, but wouldn't you rather reduce the odds of something bad happening, even if just a little?

You guys nailed it. We are enthusiasts and I suspect most of us are pretty highly oriented people who like to plan ahead. The reality is that 2 years is an eternity and lots of changes will happen along with new options being available. I don't even know where I will be living 2 years from now based on where my upcoming career shift will take me. Just know what charging options you will need to make the most of the M3 which many of us may not even take delivery of for 2-3 years from today. When you get close to that point, there will still be plenty of time to hash out the details while your order goes into assembly. I just know that no matter where I end up, I will make sure to choosing housing or rental options that will allow for me to plug in so long as I stick with my reservation instead of going to Plan B in my sig.

This is actually the "right" way. Leave it alone.

The whole point of the ground is to keep you from zapping yourself or causing fires or otherwise damaging things you don't want damaged. If your plug isn't fully inserted (I bet the majority of plugs in your house have probably slid out at least a little bit), when a metal object falls on the plug, it will hit the ground pin instead of the live, current-carrying contacts which reduces the chances of a short, avoiding the the things I outlined earlier.

This may seem like an unlikely occurrence, but wouldn't you rather reduce the odds of something bad happening, even if just a little?

This is correct.

The regular plug in your house is suppose to be Ground up by code. Social norm is ground down.