Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have a pocket full of RFID tags or don’t bother?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
Before I bought an EV I read up a lot on the mess that is our national charging network. All separate app, RFID tags etc. What a mess.

Now I have a tesla.

Most of my ’normal’ longer range drives to family etc should be doable with limited stops and I think would be covered by superchargers. But I’m wondering if I need to have a backup plan for occasional destination charger usage (eg on holiday in Cornwall where there aren’t any superchargers) or just being caught out unexpectedly. But I don’t want a bag full of tags/apps etc unless needed.

What do you all do? Can you manage with contactless/other, or are there a couple of useful apps that covers any gaps in the supercharger network?

Yes, you're right. The lack of interoperability across the UK charging network is a bit of joke. I have four different charging cards, just in case, BP chargemaster and ChargeMyCar for UK, and maingau and plugsurfing for charging abroad. Mainly i supercharge if possible.

The prices for BP fast charging is eye watering.. 45p-ish per KwH!

At least the CCS standard means you don't really need Chademo adaptors etc. although a good 13A long extension lead (25m or so) allows slow AC charging overnight, should you need it). I used mine in Europe a bit, with a Shuko plug adaptor. Thats all yoy really need, i think.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Schuko is only Germany and, I think, Denmark. For other European countries bring a set of adapters.

Adapters from any country to Schuko or to CEE blue are problematic, because you have two contacts in close proximity, so, all else being equal, they get twice as hot as a simple plug. Check the temperature after 10 minutes of charging, check again later.

I have a few RFID cards. Either never used or tried unnecessarily because I could. As a Tesla driver unless you can’t charge at home / work I don’t think I’d bother again. If you’re really stuck you can always use contactless or download the relevant App.

Reactions: Yachtsman
just in case, BP chargemaster
Just thought I'd install the BP app, seems to be either get a subscription or pre-load credit to charge, unless I'm misreading it. That has to be the most retrograde way to charge for occasional use, if I don't load enough credit can I top up again? If I overload credit they sit with my credit balance, or do I need to get my calculator out and workout their charges and what I'm expecting need to charge. Why doesn't it preauthorise your payment card in advance like pretty much everything else in the world.

Is there a market here for an app similar to Smartthings or Wink where we could combine all the charging networks into one app?

well I installed the Shell recharge app because my local shell got a couple of chargers added so I thought it’d be useful for a topup if needed. But they let you pay with a debit card directly so I was confused. And they push an rfID charge card talking about 200k chargers across Europe which surely means partnering with other companies as Shell don’t have nearly that many of their own. But they don’t say who or where which is what got me thinking about this.

If I stick with the like of instavolt and shell, they’re both contactless. Maybe podpoint but if I’m local I shouldn’t ever need that and if I’m on a trip they’re too slow

Schuko is only Germany and, I think, Denmark. For other European countries bring a set of adapters.

Adapters from any country to Schuko or to CEE blue are problematic, because you have two contacts in close proximity, so, all else being equal, they get twice as hot as a simple plug. Check the temperature after 10 minutes of charging, check again later.
Thanks for the correction re: Schuko plugs. I thought that what was in use in France and Spain also, referring to a plug with round pins (live, neutral in plug, earth pin in the socket), reverseable.

Good point about heating effects caused by multiple contacts and resistive heating. My UK 13A plug and extension lead certainly heats up after a kong charging point, so best to make sure you're using the best quality plugs, adaptors and appropriately dimensioned cable for a sustained 3Kw plus draw. I didn't experience any heating problems using a single adaptor and the universal charger in an exterior Schuko socket. I did check after a couple of hours charging and it was cold to the touch.

I've only got one RFID card, that's for BP Pulse/Polar/Charge your car as they are the providers at my local P&R and a few in the city center if I don't use the P&R. The newer style rapid chargers like instavolt and (very soon hopefully ) the new ecotricity/gridserve chargers will all have contactless payment options. I've got the podpoint app (got a podpoint at home but it helps for some shopping centers to start free charges) and that's about it, I do prefer going to superchargers as like apple 'they just work'

Appreciate different situation to yourself but the only card I got was ChargePlace Scotland and to be honest I only use that because most of the chargers on the network in my area are free.

I agree with the others - if you have a Tesla unless your going to some way out of Tesla network location or need to regularly charge away from home during your daily business your fine without or in case of emergencies get whoever has the biggest coverage in your area - most now accept contactless payments anyway (although usually costs more than being a member of the network).

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Just thought I'd install the BP app, seems to be either get a subscription or pre-load credit to charge, unless I'm misreading it. That has to be the most retrograde way to charge for occasional use, if I don't load enough credit can I top up again? If I overload credit they sit with my credit balance, or do I need to get my calculator out and workout their charges and what I'm expecting need to charge. Why doesn't it preauthorise your payment card in advance like pretty much everything else in the world.
The app enables you to access two of their three price tiers. You can use the third tier (contactless debit/credit) on their DC chargers without the app.

Tend to stick to Tesla chargers and havn't needed to go 3rd party....yet. Well except for pod point for some free top up when shopping at Tesco.

Mentioned it before, but Octopus Energy have this...

One card lets you use 8 networks currently, and growing. It just gets added to your electric bill at home if your a customer, or sends you an invoice if your not.

Really?

Driven from Dublin via UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal and back Spain, France, UK and could use my Schuko in all those countries...