Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have a tow hitch on your Tesla Model S - TorkLift or Uhaul?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
Doing some reading on tow hitch options for the 2012 to 2021 Tesla Model S and found these two

1. Uhaul Tow Hitch: Trailer Hitches & Towing Accessories
- here's the install video for this hitch -

2. TorkLift Hitch: 2012-2021 Tesla Model S EcoHitch Stealth

Both seem decent and I've read threads on here where some folks have the TorkLift hitch. Haven't seen anyone that has the UHaul hitch.

Which hitch do you have (assuming ofcourse you have a hitch on your S).

The price difference is night and day between the two - the TorkLift is $427.99 vs $219.99 and I can't help but wonder you're getting what you're paying for, or is the TorkLift hitch just absurdly more expensive?

Reactions: Tezzie
I can’t speak for the Uhaul hitch but I had the Torklift installed on my 2017 MS. Very clean install done by Miami Hitches.

Honestly I have no idea why it’s more expensive but they had experience working with Teslas which was more important to me than price. But it looks like Uhaul offers a similar product for less.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezzie and SilverGS
I have the TorkLift. Installed it myself and it works awesome. Can’t speak to the Uhaul hitch, but I have used their hitches on other cars before with good success.
I can’t speak for the Uhaul hitch but I had the Torklift installed on my 2017 MS. Very clean install done by Miami Hitches.

Honestly I have no idea why it’s more expensive but they had experience working with Teslas which was more important to me than price. But it looks like Uhaul offers a similar product for less.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Reactions: Tezzie
I have the Torklift that I installed myself. For me it's worth the extra cost to have the removable receiver. The hitch receiver doesn't really go with the sleek, sporty, aerodynamic look of the car. I also got the magnetic cover, and 99% of the time driving it's without the hitch receiver installed.

Reactions: Tezzie and SilverGS
I have the Torklift that I installed myself. For me it's worth the extra cost to have the removable receiver. The hitch receiver doesn't really go with the sleek, sporty, aerodynamic look of the car. I also got the magnetic cover, and 99% of the time driving it's without the hitch receiver installed.
Thanks for the feedback!!

Link to the magnetic cover please? Had no idea such a thing existed and this is what has been holding me back so far.

Torklift has fantastic customer service--they referred me to a guy who'll install the hitch at my house! The only thing I'm a bit nervous about is that a slot has to be cut out of the inside of the bumper to accommodate the hitch receiver. Modifications to the OEM usually affect resale value.

It's interesting that Uhaul will install a hitch on a car that officially does not have a tow rating.

Anyway, I have the Torklift stainless steel and am VERY happy with it. I don't worry about removing the receiver, the aluminum hitch stays on it as well as a protection from anyone playing "parking by braille" around my car.

If you are in South Florida, I had mine installed by Ryan "The Tesla Doctor" who has a shop in Pompano. He came to my house and did it though (his preference) and it was around 2 hours to install. The thoughts about galvanic corrosion had me choosing the Torklift unit, and it came with protective washers to isolate the contact points. Right now as I type this, I'm nearly done with almost 2000 miles of towing a Jeep Liberty behind the Tesla and the car has been great. The only issue has been the spacing of the superchargers, in relation to the watt mileage. It's been brutal at around 700.

Can you see the magnetic cover from eye level when you have it installed? It looks like it has a pretty thick "gasket" material and I'd be concerned about it sticking out when it's in place. Obviously even if it's sticking out, it's WAY better aesthetically than a permanent hitch receiver visible like the uhaul, but just checking

Can you see the magnetic cover from eye level when you have it installed? It looks like it has a pretty thick "gasket" material and I'd be concerned about it sticking out when it's in place. Obviously even if it's sticking out, it's WAY better aesthetically than a permanent hitch receiver visible like the uhaul, but just checking
I had it for years, and no…not unless you laid down on the ground.

It's interesting that Uhaul will install a hitch on a car that officially does not have a tow rating.

Anyway, I have the Torklift stainless steel and am VERY happy with it. I don't worry about removing the receiver, the aluminum hitch stays on it as well as a protection from anyone playing "parking by braille" around my car.

If you are in South Florida, I had mine installed by Ryan "The Tesla Doctor" who has a shop in Pompano. He came to my house and did it though (his preference) and it was around 2 hours to install. The thoughts about galvanic corrosion had me choosing the Torklift unit, and it came with protective washers to isolate the contact points. Right now as I type this, I'm nearly done with almost 2000 miles of towing a Jeep Liberty behind the Tesla and the car has been great. The only issue has been the spacing of the superchargers, in relation to the watt mileage. It's been brutal at around 700.
Hi geordi -
We have the Torklift stainless steel 2" for Tesla Model S refresh 2021, and JUST got around to buying a Yakima bike rack to use with it. We discovered that the removable hitch receiver is not threaded where the bolt for the bike rack goes through. Is that normal? I wonder if ours has a manufacturing defect. The bolt just pushes all the way through without using a wrench. It's pretty loose and floppy. Is yours threaded?

Hi geordi -
We have the Torklift stainless steel 2" for Tesla Model S refresh 2021, and JUST got around to buying a Yakima bike rack to use with it. We discovered that the removable hitch receiver is not threaded where the bolt for the bike rack goes through. Is that normal? I wonder if ours has a manufacturing defect. The bolt just pushes all the way through without using a wrench. It's pretty loose and floppy. Is yours threaded?
Oh actually never mind!! The part that goes into the hitch receiver has the threads. Only they were on the opposite side from what was indicated in the instructions. Put the bolt thru the left side and it's fine. Duh.

Reactions: geordi