Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have bent 20" wheels on your Model 3?

How many bent 20" model 3 wheels do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bent all four in a construction zone. This is near my house so I was familiar with the spot and had driven over it without incident 5+ times at 30-35mph. As best I can tell, the city had a temporary patch over the trench they were working on and it looked like some of it got washed out by rain, leaving a 3-4" hole and an exposed edge. So this time there was a noticeable impact and one obviously bent wheel (Tesla service found the others were also bent). Luckily all holding air so I can take a little time to decide how to fix. Thinking I'll go down to 19" for more protection.

I've driven 40 or 45 series tires for many years so I'm a dedicated pothole dodger, but 35 series doesn't leave much margin for the unexpected.

W1.jpg
W2.jpg
W3.jpg

Bent all four in a construction zone. This is near my house so I was familiar with the spot and had driven over it without incident 5+ times at 30-35mph. As best I can tell, the city had a temporary patch over the trench they were working on and it looked like some of it got washed out by rain, leaving a 3-4" hole and an exposed edge. So this time there was a noticeable impact and one obviously bent wheel (Tesla service found the others were also bent). Luckily all holding air so I can take a little time to decide how to fix. Thinking I'll go down to 19" for more protection.

I've driven 40 or 45 series tires for many years so I'm a dedicated pothole dodger, but 35 series doesn't leave much margin for the unexpected.

View attachment 384218
View attachment 384219
View attachment 384221

Although I wouldn't want to give odds on getting a decent result, this is actionable in small claims court. It's negligence to leave that kind of divot in the road without any protection or warning to drivers. I have had this kind of issue addressed in small claims court with good as well as frustrating outcome. You should also complain to the town on the record. In fact if there has been a complaint prior to your incident it increases your chance in small claims court, as you can more convincingly argue that the town is negligent.

Dumb question- how did you folks find out they were bent, if not obviously visual? I’ve tagged a few potholes and have no visual damage, no wheel balance problems and they hold air fine so I assume I’m good...

It's usually hard to see since it's likely near the inside part of the wheel. I only noticed when my driver side got bent because at certain speeds there would be a very noticeable vibration inside.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
The low profile performance "summer" tires leave no margin of error for pot holes or curb rash.
Tesla could reduce these problems by offering a larger profile "all weather" tire.
Seems like Tesla would want to reduce the service center repairs and customer complaints.
If Tesla checks their service center records they will probably find this is more of an issue than it should be.

Reactions: TORQU3
The low profile performance "summer" tires leave no margin of error for pot holes or curb rash.
Tesla could reduce these problems by offering a larger profile "all weather" tire.
Seems like Tesla would want to reduce the service center repairs and customer complaints.
If Tesla checks their service center records they will probably find this is more of an issue than it should be.

Model 3s are available with 18", 19" and 20" wheels/tires. Where's the issue?

The issue is that if you want the larger brakes, rims, spoiler and performance then you have to get "summer" performance tires.
Offering "all weather" 20" tires with a larger profile would solve many issues.
Why would Tesla want to clog up their service centers with repairs for curb rash and pot hole rim damage when they could solve it by offering a larger profile all weather tire. Many people ordering the performance version are not aware that they void the tire warranty if they are driven in 20 F or lower temperatures.
Those performance tires should not be driven in cold temperatures and definitely not on snow.

I think at most Tesla should toss in a heads up in the manual, or train their delivery people (hah) to give folks who haven’t had tiny sidewall tires before a heads up. Its not a huge secret but if you’ve never owned a car with big wheels and tiny sidewalks you don’t necessarily know the risks

Reactions: dfwatt
OP showing bias which doesn't work well when illustrating the ratio of bent rims vs. no bent rims.

I would have provisionally voted 0 bent rims because I haven't felt any misalignment while driving with the 20" wheels. They're currently off and I have 19" aftermarket wheels for the winter season, and so far, my ride has been smooth.

I try to avoid hitting potholes as much as possible. But there are times where I've hit some potholes that were unavoidable, but not where I had major concerns of having the wheels inspected (both OEM & aftermarket). I also have my tires air filled to at least 42 PSI when cold (again, both sets of wheels).

I noticed today I have a bent rim on my front right wheel (performance wheel). I’m almost positive it was a pothole I hit when forced to switch over to lanes 3 and 4 due to construction zone up ahead on 101 south in Mountain View this past Friday. Any chance to get this covered? The pothole was pretty big and no way to avoid because 4 lane freeway was down to 2 lanes and cars on the side of me.