Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have money in Tesla stocks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely, I'm a conservative "buy and hold" investor - long on TSLA - was lucky enough to start buying in at 32, then again heavier at 78, and again at 102. I'm holding on tight. Won't think about selling for at least five years and evaluate taking some profits post Gen 3.

... love the car, and, love the stock...

Check the various investing threads and you'll see bunches of us own TSLA. Talking money is always a little awkward, but there's certainly several of us that have made enough on TSLA to help pay for it. As with any cross section of society, the amount invested varies dramatically.

My S was free. Here's why:

When we determined to travel to the lesser-48 for a few weeks this winter, somehow - I literally cannot remember how - I had put this bug in myself to learn about these autos that really and truly weren't vaporware, but actually existed and were being sold. So I told my wife that, when we traveled to the Phoenix area, the first thing we were going to do was to visit Fashion Mall (is that what it's called?), in Scottsdale.

Now, Jenny just about spit out the caribou bratwurst we were having, as she knows just how deep my despisal is for Things Mall-like. But, as you have figured out, I had A Plan.... ;)

And sure enough, I was as floored by the vehicles as just about all others on this forum were. So, I ordered one and then started doing my homework - which included investigating the company and its stock.

On returning home, I ordered....well, a bunch ;).... of shares. And then I bought SCTY, too. And when one-half the amount had appreciated enough to cover both the cost of the S and the realized capital gains tax, I sold that portion. It took about four weeks.

At the end of the day, then, I had the cash on hand to pay for the car, and nice hunk of TSLA shares still in my portfolio, a great big grin on my face, a wife who wonders whatinh*ll happened to her backwoods beau, and a stockbroker who pays a lot more attention to me when I suggest a trade (I've made a total of less than ten trades in the past fifteen years: I am a LONG-term investor).

So: was the car really free? Of course not. I could have bought a lot of ammunition or traps or Snickers bars or tickets to the Bolshoi with the proceeds. BUT: I would not have purchased the shares at all had I not gone in to take a look at the car and made the decision to buy one. That is what impelled my investment decision. And I think that's a pretty good story.

Where have you been? Much of this forum was wondering if it was in a bubble when it hit $45, $50 and then hit $60 and fell way back before earnings. Of course we are! We are the believers! Many of us have bought and sold and bought and sold but I think a lot of us have been holding for awhile and believe in TSLA and plan on holding for years.

This is the stock of the century.

I purchased enough TSLA to about pay for a base level 85kW-h Model S. I sold a little less than half my shares to add the Tech, Air-suspension, leather seats, and metallic paint. That is, I cashed in a dollar value about 33% more than I invested. I still (as of today) have a dollar value 63% more than my total investment. I get my Model S in about 10 days.

P.S. I forgot to mention the panoramic roof.

Last edited:
Darren, I've seen at least 10 (guessing) TMC members post that they have profited enough from TSLA to buy a loaded Model S. I'm sure there are dozens. I clued into Tesla's plan last year. Had some cash this winter, not "liquid assets", mind you, but actual green paper US $20 bills in a stack on my dresser. Bought some stock. It's now $20,000. :biggrin: ML

ps, that's one way to make sure that the IRS knows about your "liquid assets"

Last edited:
Yes, small potatoes investor. Sold part of my position at $100 to take a little profit thinking it would drift back to about 75 or 80. I was going to dump the profit back in to increase my overall position but the drift hasn't happened. Thinking of using those proceeds to fund solar installation, so TSLA will pay for my "gas".

put the money I had over saved from taxes last year and invest in TSLA options .... Missed the right time to sell but have made enough that for someone who is very comfortable talking about money I stopped talking about how much it was with my friends . Back when Tesla was around 50 or 60 I was worried it was overpriced ... now I know the stock is a steal at this price. Planning on playing long term options and amassing as many shares as possible before everyone else realizes the potential here.

As I'm sure many other people did, I completely paid for my P85 with profits on TSLA options purchased between Feb & May of this year (I ordered the car on May 19 and pick it up this Saturday!!!). The most I ever had invested was $12K, but I had recovered all of that thru sales of some options as the stock price moved up prior to the May 8 ER, so it was all profit at that point. On May 8 I had 155 Sep13 contracts at strike prices between $48 & $65, all purchased at an average price of $1 each (about $100 per contract). I sold 65 contracts for a total of $35K prior to the close on May 8, since you never know how the market will react even to a good ER (e.g., AAPL any number of times). I sold the other 90 contracts on May 9 for a total profit of $188K, including the $35K from the previous day. After taxes, more than enough to pay for the loaded P85…

In retrospect, had I held on to all the contracts until TSLA was at, say, $110 on May 28, I'd have made over $800K. But for me at least, the week of the ER was extremely stressful, and by then I was happy to just get out with an already huge profit and not have to worry about it any more. It was like temporary insanity to sell them all at once, but when you have so much "found" money on the line, even though it's all profit, you go crazy wondering if the bottom is about to fall out or what will happen next. The volume on that day was over 20M shares, so I was wondering if all the shorts were already out, would it drop the next day, etc. It's hard to explain when you're not in that situation, but I could not handle that sort of pressure on a regular basis. I dunno how day traders do it.

Of course I'm thrilled, got my dream car for free, but jeez, $800K+ would have been even nicer. I still play the TSLA options, but I doubt I'll ever do as well on any other trade as I did on that one. The few people who know I did this are really impressed, but in truth even a blind monkey would have made a windfall if they were positioned as I was at that time. :) Hopefully l will handle any similar situation better in the future should I be so fortunate.

Oh, and I did buy 1 share of actual TSLA stock on May 10, just so I could truly be a Tesla stockholder and get all the stockholder materials. I plan to accumulate more shares as a long-term investment, but options certainly have the highest payout %, albeit at the greatest risk. I think my overall profit was something like 2133%, which is just crazy.

In retrospect, had I held on to all the contracts until TSLA was at, say, $110 on May 28, I'd have made over $800K. But for me at least, the week of the ER was extremely stressful, and by then I was happy to just get out with an already huge profit and not have to worry about it any more. It was like temporary insanity to sell them all at once, but when you have so much "found" money on the line, even though it's all profit, you go crazy wondering if the bottom is about to fall out or what will happen next. The volume on that day was over 20M shares, so I was wondering if all the shorts were already out, would it drop the next day, etc. It's hard to explain when you're not in that situation, but I could not handle that sort of pressure on a regular basis. I dunno how day traders do it.

Of course I'm thrilled, got my dream car for free, but jeez, $800K+ would have been even nicer. I still play the TSLA options, but I doubt I'll ever do as well on any other trade as I did on that one. The few people who know I did this are really impressed, but in truth even a blind monkey would have made a windfall if they were positioned as I was at that time. :) Hopefully l will handle any similar situation better in the future should I be so fortunate.

CONGRATS! It was a crazy couple weeks there and I sold and rebought, etc too. Sold a lot of options getting up to there and beyond I *could* have made more on. But hell, the profits were already insane and sometimes you take the money and run.

Good work and never regret taking profits like that. It's absolute insanity - like winning the lottery!

CONGRATS! It was a crazy couple weeks there and I sold and rebought, etc too. Sold a lot of options getting up to there and beyond I *could* have made more on. But hell, the profits were already insane and sometimes you take the money and run.

Good work and never regret taking profits like that. It's absolute insanity - like winning the lottery!

Yeah, when I mentioned my "but only if" to another Tesla owner, he just shook his head and said "What, you're not satisfied with a free Model S?". Kinda puts things in perspective.

Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate all your advice in many of the other investor threads.

I bought my first shares at about $19 just shortly after the IPO. I wanted the car, but decided that I should take my $5,000 reservation fee and buy the stock instead. My reasoning was that if I lost the money on the stock, then I probably shouldn't be buying the car cause that would mean the company was in really bad shape. If the company did really well, I'd have even more money for buying the car.

I've since decided that what I really want is a Gen III. So, Tesla ownership is still a few years away for me.

I also grew to really believe in this company, and switched my self-directed IRA over 100% to TSLA when it was $38. Sold half of my holdings when it hit $94 and regret it now. I'm hoping for a dip to somewhere below that and put the other half back in, but I think it may be too late for that. Either way TSLA has been great to me. Tesla has been a great investment so far, both the car and the stock.