Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have paint protection (PPF or ceramic coating) on your new M3?

Do you have paint protection (PPF or ceramic coating) on your new M3?

• Yes

Votes: 54 61.4%
  • No

Votes: 34 38.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a partial PPF and I am super happy I did. Cost me around $400. And I hit my front lower lip while parking, what normally would have to be a replacement of the front lip cuz of scratching, after peeling the PPF off, there was nothing on the paint. Got a new PPF for free on the lip and drove off. Saved me lots of money.

Reactions: ac_sj
Instead of mud-flaps I have PPF on the sills including the bottom of all doors up to the first seam the rest is ceramic with an all up cost of $650. I'm not going to blow 6k on full PPF as I'm not so worried about very small stone chips, if its a big rock insurance can sort which has never happened on any of my previous vehicles.

Seems to be some folks are wondering if PPF is worth the investment, and while it is far from cheap it can definitely drive up resale value. One thing I talk to people about is going to Kelley Blue Book and looking at trade-in and resell values. For a car in this price range, $1500/2000 to protect the front end can help add $3,000+ at trade in if your vehicle condition is still in tip top shape. While there are other things that come into play, not having road rash, rock chips, scratches and swirls during that vehicle walk around can be a big plus.

I also see folks looking for quality installers, we have 6 offices across NA that are happy to suggest quality installers in your area. You can find those phone numbers on the left column here. We also have a dealer locator by zip code here.

Best of luck with your vehicle, PPF, and coating purchases! We're here to answer any questions you may have about Paint Protection Film!

Not yet, but planning to get Ceramic Coating and then Paint Protection Film on the front bumper.

Ah they can’t put PPF over ceramic coating as it won’t adhere and they’d have to strip off all the ceramic (labor intense) to get it back to a state PPF can get put on. You can however put ceramic over PPF.

Since I see you are a Calif owner, will also mention if you plan to have HOV stickers on the car, they need to apply them first (suggest having them apply to PPF cut to sticker shape and then that goes on car so it can be removed cleanly later) before ceramic goes on...same adhesion issues.

Reactions: house9
I answered YES, but it is work-in-progress. We got ours on 12/30. It had 4 miles @ pick up and 40 miles @ delivery to detailers. We are getting Ceramic Pro on everything. PPF full front, mirrors, and rear bumper, as well as 30% ceramic tint on sides and full rear window. We took it to detailer on 1/3 and they started tinting today (1/6)...we are supposed to pick up on Friday, 1/10.

My Red Multi Coat P3D arrived yesterday 6 pm
This morning it went into the wrap shop for:

Full Wrap Ultimate Premium Xpel
Full Ceramic Coating
Matt delete on all trim, emblem and badges ....price is US$ 3,215

I'm not planning to do anything else:
ie tiniting, wrapping console wireless, floormats...the list goes ON and on and on

Reactions: TOPSCRT
Only wrapped the the rockers DIY with invisible mask and behind the rear wheel area to cover sandblast from driving. Was watching multiple videos to convince myself to get more wrapping, realized that on the day you remove the PPF, it will be very noticeable from a wrapped paint area to a non-wrapped one, just like sun tanning.

I had planned to get mine done on delivery, but it arrived December 23rd, so opted to drive the car for a week or two over the holidays. A week later an asshole keyed it! Front driver side fender, a blind spot for the SentryCam recordings :(

It is in the shop getting a $1200 fix because the whole fender has to come off for a re-spray. Now I'll have to wait a month for the new paint to cure before I can get it done.

I got the P3D, the most expensive car I've ever owned. At the paint shop yesterday I saw a 4yr old, dark blue Aston DB9 that only had a partial front bonnet film on it. The rest of the car was covered in the kind of swirls and nicks I know will be all over my car in a few years too - that sealed the deal for me - convinced me to go full wrap in XPEL.

Full job in Sydney at the moment is ~$6k, that is with XPEL film and a full ceramic coat.
IMG_1591.jpeg

Reactions: 6thDAY and ICON
I had planned to get mine done on delivery, but it arrived December 23rd, so opted to drive the car for a week or two over the holidays. A week later an asshole keyed it! Front driver side fender, a blind spot for the SentryCam recordings :(

It is in the shop getting a $1200 fix because the whole fender has to come off for a re-spray. Now I'll have to wait a month for the new paint to cure before I can get it done.

I got the P3D, the most expensive car I've ever owned. At the paint shop yesterday I saw a 4yr old, dark blue Aston DB9 that only had a partial front bonnet film on it. The rest of the car was covered in the kind of swirls and nicks I know will be all over my car in a few years too - that sealed the deal for me - convinced me to go full wrap in XPEL.

Full job in Sydney at the moment is ~$6k, that is with XPEL film and a full ceramic coat. View attachment 497795

Getting mine fully wrapped and ceramic coated also as soon as it's back from the body shop fixing all the paint defects I found from delivery.

Unfortunately just like you, the right side passenger doors and trunk had to be resprayed so I can't wrap it for 3 months. I am planning to wrap the rest in the mean time to ensure I don't get any potential chips, especially in the front.

My Red Multi Coat P3D arrived yesterday 6 pm
This morning it went into the wrap shop for:

Full Wrap Ultimate Premium Xpel
Full Ceramic Coating
Matt delete on all trim, emblem and badges ....price is US$ 3,215

I'm not planning to do anything else:
ie tiniting, wrapping console wireless, floormats...the list goes ON and on and on

WOW that is a good price. I was quoted more than double for that same thing. Where are you located?