Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have paint protection (PPF or ceramic coating) on your new M3?

Do you have paint protection (PPF or ceramic coating) on your new M3?

• Yes

Votes: 54 61.4%
  • No

Votes: 34 38.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can afford both PPF and a ceramic coating and want maximum protection, get both. But if you can’t afford both, my advice would be to get as much PPF as you can afford when you first get the car. You can always add ceramic coating later.

Personally I did a whole-car PPF in Xpel. Instead of a ceramic coating, I apply a ceramic infused spray sealant every 3 or 4 months.

Pay for PPF. DIY the ceramic coating.

if you get the right ceramic it’s not any harder to do than a wax job. The ‘catch’ if there is one is that a DIY ceramic job may only last a year or 2 vs a $1k+ pro job might last 3 years.

I’m good with $100 for DIY and a year or 2 vs $1k. I know I can’t DIY PPF and get results I’ll be happy with but I do know I can DIY ceramic and it will look identical to a pro done job.

Reactions: ac_sj
Also keep in mind that PPF offers unique protection that is not paralleled by waxes, sealants, or even ceramic coatings. PPF is actually self-healing. If someone scratches your paint or even keys it, after 20 minutes in the sun, the scratches disappear. Ceramic coatings are like a really durable wax. It protects the paint from contaminants and makes it much easier to clean the paint, but it won't protect from scratches, swirls, or rock chips. For that you need PPF.

These videos, which I have posted elsewhere on this forum, are really informative and helpful:

I got full PPF and ceramic. It is nice; very very nice. This the first car I had PPF or ceramic on. However, I'm not convinced it is worth the price and won't be getting it on any future vehicle
The PPF on my front bumper has taken many rock hits. Mine has been replaced once under warranty when it did not self heal after a particularly nasty rock. The paint under the PPF was excellent. I may not do the whole vehicle again, but will absolutely do the bumper cover. Ceramic is a different story. There are a lot of new sealer products that I could do myself and save a bundle. That I may do.

Reactions: Torque Monster
Not to hijack the thread, but what is a "good" price for a full body PPF wrap?
This various by location.

Full Frontal and rockers costed me $2350. So...a complete wrap might be 5-6K? This is in SoCal.

Keep in mind that PPF is different material from cosmetic wraps. The material is thicker for PPF which means it's hard to stretch and technically you don't want to stretch it too much because the thickness is protection.

I'm laboring over the PPF and/or ceramic decision more than I labored over the decision whether or not to buy the car. It's ridiculous. I've had the car since late Sep and I just can't pull the trigger. If there was a local shop that I felt really comfortable with I'd be more likely to have done it by now, but so far there isn't one. And the more reputable places I'm aware of just aren't conveniently located for me, and they're also more expensive. And then there's the issue of not having the car for a few days while it gets done...

I'm laboring over the PPF and/or ceramic decision more than I labored over the decision whether or not to buy the car. It's ridiculous. I've had the car since late Sep and I just can't pull the trigger. If there was a local shop that I felt really comfortable with I'd be more likely to have done it by now, but so far there isn't one. And the more reputable places I'm aware of just aren't conveniently located for me, and they're also more expensive. And then there's the issue of not having the car for a few days while it gets done...
Yes, the wait is killing me ...