TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Do you have problems getting into / out of your S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by timk225, Dec 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. timk225

timk225 Member

I'm 6' tall and currently 310 lbs. As bad as this sounds, I think I carry my fatness pretty well, I'm not one of those slobs you see lurching around with their huge gut hanging 6 inches over and below their belt.

Having said this, the door opening and seat position on the S could be a bit more accommodating. I go to my local Tesla store, and I can get in and out of their S, but it takes a bit of effort.

And even with the drivers seat all the way back, it'd be nice if it would go back an inch or two further. And down a bit lower.

I have no problems jumping in and out of my 2011 Challenger R/T, but that is a 2 door car, much bigger doors.

I'm sure I'd get used to the entry and exit technique needed when I get my Model 3. It'd be easier if I dropped 100 pounds of fat, though.....

2. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs. I have learned to 'butt in' and trust that the seat will catch me :) or something like that. I think a Model X might be a better fit for both of us but I'm in love with the S style and exquisite lines. So I just figured out how to get in and out best I can.

btw the headroom is OK in the drivers seat but the "eye room" is limited (e.g. can't see stoplights in some cases without scrunching down). Still its my favorite car EVER.

• Like x 2
  3. ecobon

ecobon Member

Front seats are a treat! Rear seats are quite difficult to get out of if you are on the heavy side. Some of my guests have much difficulty exiting the rear and basically kick up my floor mats. Something to do with the way the rear seats are slightly tilted backwards and there are no grab handles to lean forward. Work those abdominals!

• Like x 1
  4. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

6'4" here with 218 lbs. I have three solutions to the in-out process:
    1. create an 'out' profile (as if there was another driver), & program the steering column for up and forward, and the seat for forward of its normal position;
    2. just leave the seat in its normal position, and exit while I apply maximum lateral force to the outer edge of the steering wheel with my right hand. I rely on the steering wheel much like a pole-vaulter relies on their pole. I dip my head and produce enough force to literally 'pop' out of the car clearing all edges and the door sill nicely; OR
    3. I've lost about 5 pounds while owning the car, so there is a little more flex and spring in my movements... still, I'm shooting for 208 lbs.
    My guess, is that if I can keep weight at bay 'til I'm 60, I should produce negligible wear on the elastomeric trim that surrounds the door by continuing my fast in-and-outs.

5. Steve1081

Steve1081 Member

It is because it is a 4 door and relatively low. If you are tall the seat is moved back behind the B pillar (so your legs will fit) and it is low (so you head will fit).

I find it to be about the same ingress and egress as the BMW M5 it replaced. I have an older BMW M3 that is lowered and despite that I find it easier to get in and out of because it is a coupe and has big doors.

That being said the M5 had an "exit position" for the steering wheel which was nice. It also remembered the profile based on the key fob. I liked that as well because the seat moves before you get in.

It is hard for me to fit my legs under the wheel when the seating position is set for my wife and it is difficult to reach the screen without getting in... maybe this could be updated via software! Or maybe I am missing a feature the car already has...

6. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

My mom who is ancient, fat, and has MS is able to get into my Model S without much issue.

The seatbelt on the other hand doesn't fit her very well. It hits her neck so I had to buy a cheap extender thing.

7. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

I'm 6'2" and 280lbs with bad knees. For my Model S it's face left, butt down, and then spin legs in. Much easier on the knees and neck. The X is much easier to get in and out of, rear seats even more so, although I never sit in the rear seats of my S anyway.

• Informative x 2
  8. marty2112

marty2112 Member

I do agree that getting into the S is less than optimum. I'm 6'1" and only 170lbs. I hate bending down or bending my knees.

Too many sports when I was young. Model X would be ideal, but love once I get into the S...

• Like x 1
  9. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

I'm 6'2", 215 lbs and that's what I do. Grab onto that steering wheel like it's a life preserver!

The biggest problem I find with the long legs in my MS is that not enough of the hamstring lays down flat on the seat, thereby putting more pressure on the butt then I'd like - this definitely provides some discomfort on trips over half an hour. I can mitigate this by moving the seat further back and straightening out the legs more, but then it's not comfortable trying to reach the steering wheel and dash controls/screen with my arms. First world problems for sure, but I definitely understand what you big & tall fellas are talking about.

10. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

77 years old here. I use the back in and rotate method. I have an exit profile set for when I'm stiff that sets the wheel all the way up and RAISES the seat. Sounds counterintuitive, but it makes it easier to stand up.

11. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

6' 5", 210.

I don't notice many issues, but I think I'm basically just used to the acrobatics at this point as every car I've owned has required some sort of heave-ho to get in or out.

My driving position has the seat all the way back, which means it's behind the B pillar, which means you sort of have to pitch forward while grabbing onto the wheel to lift/push yourself out the door. I'm decently young and agile at this point so I can't say it really bothers me, but I can see how others might be more inconvenienced.

I'll say it was ten times worse in my Volt, so the Model S is a great improvement in that respect.

• Like x 1
  12. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

Getting in and out of the model S is a piece of cake compared to the Roadster! Just think, it could always be worse.

13. ev-now

ev-now Member

I wish the MS would remember the driver by the phone it connects to - and thought that is what it did from my first test-drive 2 years ago. So if you are driving solo - it's easy, just uses the BT connection to identify the driver. For when there are two phones close (and any other time for that matter) you should be able to change the driver profile from the Tesla app - before you get into the car.

14. aus

aus Member

It's my BIGGEST complaint about this car.
    A cheap ass Prius or even a Civic/Corrolla have a seat memory button at the door or on the seat to move the back or up depending on your profile.

And the doors are definitely small compared to other cars it's size, but not much you can do about it when it's got that sleek profile and low stance.

15. hmmm

hmmm Member

^^that.

16. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

6'1" 210lbs (185cm 97kg) here.
    A low-slung sports sedan certainly isn't the easiest thing to get in and out of. Shame it's so gorgeous :)
    Going in butt-first is definitely the best.
    Slimming up a bit also helps. I foolishly regained about 10lbs since I got the car and have noticed the difference, d'oh!

17. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

6'7" 232lbs, and it's a bit harder getting out for me than in, but I'm actually surprised at how well I fit.

18. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

Indeed, getting in and out of a BWM i8 is a complex and tight fit.

FWIW I set two seating positions, one for driving and a second for exiting and entering the vehicle, this allows me ample room to get in an out without having to squeeze in, and it saves on wear and tear on the upholstery. Just a screen tap to switch which position is set and off I go!

• Like x 1
  19. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I just picked up my car yesterday, but entering and exiting the car is definitely a challenge. The "Exit" profile mentioned above seems like it might help some, but the main issue is the door opening is just small. My Leaf is way easier to get in and out of because of the taller, straighter roof line. It certainly wasn't a deal breaker though, and I knew it going in as the test drive was the same way.

20. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Reading all these height-to-weight ratios, I realize how overweight I am.. :(

• Funny x 2