Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have problems getting into / out of your S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Smallish front door, fat B pillar, steep windshield rake. Definitely not the easiest car to get in and out of. I think it's the windshield that makes it the most difficult, but it's what it needs to be for aerodynamics and looks too. I have to squeeze extra tight on myself getting in and out the "normal" way so that my head clears without my butt getting stuck on the B pillar. Sometimes I play around with butt in first as well.

Compared to other cars with this performance, the Model S may be the easiest to get in and out. We've had other sports cars - and those typically have ridden lower and have been more difficult for entry and exit.

Tesla could help the driver by automatically moving the steering wheel out of the way when the car is placed in park, and the driver's door is opened - and then automatically return the steering wheel to the driving position when the driver sits down and closes the door. It might also help to also move the driver's seat back, away from the steering wheel when entering & exiting.

This has helped in other cars - and since the steering wheel is software controlled, it's surprising we don't have this feature (then again, we still don't have a media player that can play USB music reliably).

With the latest software release, the driver profile can be tied to a specific key fob - which would further help in making entry/exit easier - by moving the seat into the correct position when a different driver enters.

There are things Tesla could do in software to make this easier. Though the design of the car does limit how much help the software can provide. The door threshold is relatively high, and there's not much that can be done to help with that (raising the seat height on entry/exit?).

Well, I am glad to hear it is not just me who thinks getting in and out is a bit more difficult than it could be. I think the B pillar is awfully thick, but I guess it will do its job in a side impact.

I used to have a 5 Dodge Neon. It was easy to get into, and had good visibility out the windows, but my standard procedure for getting out involved opening the door, putting my left arm out straight, down on the plastic trim where the door seals against the body, and using some shoulder action to lift off of that.

As with any new car, you figure out the technique pretty quickly. I only get into Teslas at the one local store. But once I am in and settled, I still think I'd like to have the seat go back another inch.

With the latest software release, the driver profile can be tied to a specific key fob - which would further help in making entry/exit easier - by moving the seat into the correct position when a different driver enters.

How? I have not seen this feature! I would think adding an "exit position" would be pretty easy via software update too. Most Luxury cars have this feature.

I have some flexibility issues to I've been doing the right foot on the dead pedal, swing butt in then swing in other leg but I worry about how much wear this puts on the seat since I'm essentially spinning on it each time I get in and out.

I don't get the impression the G2 seat leather is super durable - it's supple but doesn't feel thick and strong like some cars.

How? I have not seen this feature! I would think adding an "exit position" would be pretty easy via software update too. Most Luxury cars have this feature.

I'll answer my own question here... The software update pushed to my car last night and if you go into profiles it will give you blue "clickable" text to link a profile to the fob currently in the car. Awesome new feature!