Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?

Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?

• Yes- Performance

Votes: 109 29.7%
  • Yes- Non-Performance

Votes: 154 42.0%
  • Have no idea what you're talking about.

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • No-Performance

Votes: 29 7.9%
  • No- Non-Performance

Votes: 49 13.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this exact thing on my 85D (non performance). First time I talked to them about it they said it's wear & tear and would not be covered. The second time it somehow went through and they fixed it - the ride was super smooth since

Here’s the part list of what I had done a few weeks ago for this problem.

Attachments

• 98087921-DC82-472B-A574-3BBC073D9EAC.jpeg
    98087921-DC82-472B-A574-3BBC073D9EAC.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 282
Reactions: Grant
on the MX thread, someone posted that there's a new service bulletin to fix the dreaded shudder. Can anyone confirm that there's one for the MS?

I have my car in for this very issue right now
I was told there is a new service bulletin out specific to Model S. All they mentioned or me was a new bearing available in September
I was just given an update today and am now told they will have the parts need on Monday
So we’ll see

Reactions: SnowFlyer
I had the shudder in my P85D, and brought it to the service center sometime last year to get it looked at. At that time, they told me it was normal and to expect some shudder when accelerating fast. It noticeably happened more when I wasn’t in low suspension.

But a few months ago, after getting Arachnid wheels put on, it started happening more frequently - even in low suspension. This time, when I brought it back to the service center, they agreed it wasn’t normal, and replaced both front half shafts.

I haven’t experienced any shudder since then. My car actually feels tighter when accelerating after the replacements. I’m hoping this is a permanent fix, but only time will tell.

I have a 2019 Raven with 9k miles and am experiencing the shudder under heavy acceleration under any suspension setting. I noticed it just after my Model S received an update with a 3% performance increase. I have scheduled an appointment with service center in a couple of weeks. Based only my forum and you tube sleuthing I'm expecting to get the two half shaft treatment unless there is a "real-fix" for this issue available.

2017 P100D here with the Unplugged lowering kit, not sure if that has helped but I don't have these horrible noises.
I was not aware there was any issues until reading about it on here but now that I am aware of it when in Ludicrous mode I always check the suspension settings before taking off hard.

Can someone help better explain the sound you hear when this happens?

for the first time ever the other day with my p100D Raven my car made a noise like a clicking at around the 50-60 mph range when I pinned it starting from a slow speed and almost seemed like my acceleration was a little throttle down as a result. It felt like a sound in the rear and almost like something was grinding/chattering. The car was cold at the time and had limited regen breaking but probably like 50%. The car was not that cold and did warm up some. Didn’t happen the following two days since I tested again.