Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?

Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?

• Yes- Performance

Votes: 109 29.7%
  • Yes- Non-Performance

Votes: 154 42.0%
  • Have no idea what you're talking about.

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • No-Performance

Votes: 29 7.9%
  • No- Non-Performance

Votes: 49 13.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think the half shafts though are part of the "drivetrain" that is warranted for 8 years. Is it just the "drive unit" they are warranting here?
There is no "drivetrain" warranty beyond the basic 4 year/50K mile warranty. For S, the 8 years/unlimited mileage or 125K mile portion of the warranty is on the battery pack and drive UNIT. See Vehicle Warranty.

Last edited:
Yup, recently replaced all items highlighted as part of the Service Bulletin: SB-19-39-001 and so far so good.

Now, I had to fight to make sure they do this why?
SC - Its an alignment issue.
SC - Your car is not part of the SB.
SC - Having Shudder during acceleration in High is normal.

and if you had to work with Service Advisers, you know the drill... Tesla is doing everything in their hands to avoid these warranty related costs. Keeping my fingers crossed that it does not happen again.

if you want to read the actual bulletin here it is:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162295-9999.pdf

Yup, recently replaced all items highlighted as part of the Service Bulletin: SB-19-39-001 and so far so good.

Now, I had to fight to make sure they do this why?
SC - Its an alignment issue.
SC - Your car is not part of the SB.
SC - Having Shudder during acceleration in High is normal.

and if you had to work with Service Advisers, you know the drill... Tesla is doing everything in their hands to avoid these warranty related costs. Keeping my fingers crossed that it does not happen again.

if you want to read the actual bulletin here it is:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162295-9999.pdf

My experience at the Miramar service center was much different. We took the car on a test drive with a technician and both of us acknowledged the shudder without argument. Replacement half shafts and mounts were installed right away. Generalizing that Tesla is doing everything to avoid these warranty costs is not correct nor fair.

Reactions: davecolene0606
My experience at the Miramar service center was much different. We took the car on a test drive with a technician and both of us acknowledged the shudder without argument. Replacement half shafts and mounts were installed right away. Generalizing that Tesla is doing everything to avoid these warranty costs is not correct nor fair.
Fair Enough. Not educating Service Advisers to understand the customer concern and look for service bulletins to resolve them is Tesla's Fault (At least in the SC that i go to.. Dublin SC). I had to do the research and provide them the actual SB to accept the issue.

I had serious issues with warranty repairs at the Richmond, VA service center. The Rockville, MD service center fixed some of them with no question. I wonder if the individual service centers are judged on how well they can avoid warranty costs?

had the same experience. immediately identified as SB and no hesitation to fix. been fine for a month now

I'm arguing with Palo Alto right now about covering it under warranty at my service appointment tomorrow; my car has well over 50K miles on it.

I pointed out that I complained about the shudder LONG ago, and the response was "we're doing an alignment already, that should fix it." I forgot to check that claim as I left for home (Colorado), and actually didn't notice it wasn't better for some time.

NOW they're saying they "don't find" my complaint in their service notes, and it was "so long ago" that it's certainly not covered.

My response: well yeah it was long ago: it wasn't until last June that they figured out what the issue was an issued a Service Bulletin! And it's no shock that the issue wasn't noted if what they're doing at the service anyway (an alignment) will take care of the problem anyway. They're quoting $400 to repair.

Very frustrated with this. Any tips?

Honestly if they’re applying the ENTIRE SB to your car to fix this and only charging you $400. I’d pay that and run. I’ve seen people pay upward of $2800 for the half shafts and Clevis mounts.

as a side note Tesla has started charging 30 minutes for diagnosing these issues (unless they find an issue and then that’s waived) and because of that charge all notes of what they’ve been doing have been noted on the repair bill.

Honestly if they’re applying the ENTIRE SB to your car to fix this and only charging you $400. I’d pay that and run. I’ve seen people pay upward of $2800 for the half shafts and Clevis mounts.

Thanks for your feedback, Alysashley79, I appreciate the different point of view. And yeah, I've heard about the diagnostic charge, which frankly sounds reasonable since I'm sure they get plenty of "My car sounds like a jet engine when supercharging at 110 degrees in the sun!" sorts of complaints. (I had to reassure a new owner at the Las Vegas supercharger recently....)

Our 4-month-old Raven S just had both front half-shafts replaced. It only took moderate acceleration to produce the same sound as in Bjorn Nyland's video (on first page), but our car didn't shake nor rattle -- only had the ticking/chattering sound/noise. Tesla tech was quick to diagnose it. He said it was rare on a Raven and they replaced the parts, no fuss. SC was great about it.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
Our 4-month-old Raven S just had both front half-shafts replaced. It only took moderate acceleration to produce the same sound as in Bjorn Nyland's video (on first page), but our car didn't shake nor rattle -- only had the ticking/chattering sound/noise. Tesla tech was quick to diagnose it. He said it was rare on a Raven and they replaced the parts, no fuss. SC was great about it.

just in case anyone reading this in the future. It STARTS with a sound. Gets louder and louder. THEN gets louder and louder with shaking feeling in the steering wheel and accelerator pedal. Then all the above and the entire car shakes. It doesn’t apparently hurt anything just gets worse over time as the shafts flex on hard acceleration.

Last edited:
I took mine in but when the mechanic test drive, nothing happened or he does not fully accelerate hard enough. This time I recored video to show them and the link to the service bulletin , can you guys confirm this sound in the video is the exact problem , thanks.

I took mine in but when the mechanic test drive, nothing happened or he does not fully accelerate hard enough. This time I recored video to show them and the link to the service bulletin , can you guys confirm this sound in the video is the exact problem , thanks.

yep that’s the sound.
Two things make sure your car isn’t cold. Ask them if you can drive if they aren’t able to make it to it and finally if you have sas put it in high and launch.

a tech once told me that any video we make to also pan to the t logo on the mcu showing ur vin and miles at the beginnning and end of the video.

• Informative
Reactions: Nick70d

That sort of sounds like mine, but mine tapped or chattered a little faster rate. The tech had me drive. At first, I couldn't reproduce the sound, even though I reproduced a quarter mile from the SC when I arrived. The tech was patient though and told me to keep driving around. Sure enough, I was able a reproduce it on demand, repeatedly, a minute later.

Reactions: Nick70d