Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?

Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?

• Yes- Performance

Votes: 109 29.7%
  • Yes- Non-Performance

Votes: 154 42.0%
  • Have no idea what you're talking about.

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • No-Performance

Votes: 29 7.9%
  • No- Non-Performance

Votes: 49 13.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here, after the bearings get warm it goes away. SO there is warming even in A Tesla, thought to be not the case. Perhaps you 100s out there are flooring it right out of the garage or right after work?
Definitely appears to be temperature related. Had this start on my 100D when the weather turned cold and it stopped as weather warmed up. My August 2019 LR Raven started making the same noise on hard acceleration (even when suspension set to Low) around November. I haven’t reported it to SC yet but I’m monitoring. Does Tesla honor warranty if replacement part doesn’t fix for the long term what seems to be a design flaw?

Question for those who have the rattle (and had it repaired). I recently also started experiencing the rattle (2019 S 100D w/15k miles). I scheduled a service appointment for the rattle and included a link to a private YouTube video I posted demonstrating how to produce the sound and what it sounds like.

The SC sent me the repair estimate and basically said they would be replacing the half-shafts and clevis mount. They also added two additional work items to the service order. The first was a quality inspection (brakes, tired tread, etc...) and the second stated that my car was going to be getting the AP 3.0 computer upgrade.

With my appointment set for Monday, they called me today to inform me that the AP 3.0 CPU has not been delivered yet and they were not sure they would have it in time for my service appointment. They suggested they un-schedule me (his term different from cancel) and they will schedule me again as soon as the part comes in so I don't have to have two separate visits. I asked about the rattle in more detail and the service tech told me it's due to the shafts coming out of alignment with each other and they basically have new shafts and mount that do not have the issue. He made a point to say it's not a safety issue and I am okay to continue driving the car until it is repaired.

So far communication with the SC has been great.

After all that, my question is - is the car okay to drive with the rattle issue? I don't do a lot of launches or hard acceleration so I think I'll be okay for a little while longer.

It’s ok to drive....
As far as i know, there isn’t a documented failure of the drivetrain. ie not clear that not fixing it results in a progressive problem resulting in a catastrophic failure. There’s a lot of people who have driven with this problem for years without getting it fixed.

personally, I drove my car for 8 months and it didn’t get worse and the only reason I got it fixed is because I had to take the car in for a separate problen

• Helpful
Reactions: dannycamps
My SC said they wouldn't replace anything unless the vibration was present with the car on low (air suspension) but the SB doesn't say anything about that being a requirement.
This shouldn't be a requirement but each time I've had this problem (I'm on my fourth model S with this issue) I've had to jump through hoops to demonstrate the problem, even though it is clearly very well known. I eventually identified that the problem only happens when the car has been sitting for a while. I assume this relates to cold but I've found that after driving for a while (not sure how long) the problem goes away even if its still very cold outside.
Anyway, I had the recall work done on my current car (series D 1/2 shafts and Clevis mounts) and it appears that I still have the problem. Has anyone else had this work done and found it didn't work?

Sh*t like this is why I will never buy another Tesla. Ever. Tesla still doesn't know how to build a car. Issues like this prompted a client of mine to dump his Tesla for an Audi E-Tron. So far he's thrilled with the Audi and said there is absolutely no comparison between the two. Audi build quality is through the roof.

I've been dealing with vibration issues for the last 2-3 years. Tesla tells me it's normal, even after replacing half shafts and air struts. It wasn't until a few weeks ago, when my drive unit died, that replacement of the DU also solved my vibration problems.

Tesla have no clue what they are building.

It went away on my 2018 100D when the warmer weather arrived last year. I traded it in for a Raven LR last August and the death rattle on that vehicle started in November or so. I booked a service appointment for it fairly recently but because of the virus am delaying until it's safer to take it in when I suspect by then the noise will be gone, although it's somewhat noisier than I remember it was in the 100D. One of my motivations for trading in my 100D was to get a car that would have that issue fixed once and for good. Sometimes I have no idea why I love my S so much.

I have a 2020 LR model with the clattering sound on full-throttle acceleration. I happens nearly every time, so easy to replicate. I did a video of it and sent it to my SA. Their answer was basically that my car has the latest Version D Half-Shafts and Cleavis mounts, so there's really not much they can do about it right now. They did tell me that Tesla engineers were "working on it" and that they thought there would be a fix at some point. I don't normally accelerate fast enough to elicit the slight clatter, so it's not too big of a deal, but when I give people a test ride and want to show off the 3.7 0-60 time it's kind of embarrassing to hear the clatter in a brand new car... Oh well!