Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you keep a CHARGING LOG?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you do keep a CHARGING LOG after each Charge, what information should be in the Log so as to know your vehicles battery and charging details. I use to Log my NEW ICE Vehicles at Gas stops, to know exactly what my MPG were. Is it a good idea to keep a BEV vehicle Charging log??

I tracked mileage on my CR-V for 20 years but I've never logged any of my charging. The car does show your average Wh/mile and I use the trip odometers to track how my Wh/mile has changed since purchase, during the current year, since the last charge, during the last trip, etc.

You can sign up for services which will track all of your charges automatically for you but the data that the car already provides has been good enough for me.

I tracked mileage on my CR-V for 20 years but I've never logged any of my charging. The car does show your average Wh/mile and I use the trip odometers to track how my Wh/mile has changed since purchase, during the current year, since the last charge, during the last trip, etc.

You can sign up for services which will track all of your charges automatically for you but the data that the car already provides has been good enough for me.

Hmmm, so just what area those services you speak of? And what data are you talking about that the car provides. I don't know of any historical data it provides. :)

I have kept a spreadsheet of just basic information since I bought the car, but nothing fancy. I just want to be able to refer to it in the future in case I need to. I log the location (home, destination charger, or SC), starting mileage, ending mileage, time charging, and that is about it.

Hmmm, so just what area those services you speak of? And what data are you talking about that the car provides. I don't know of any historical data it provides. :)
Wh/mile, total kWh and total miles :)

I was very OCD when tracking my gas mileage and tracked/graphed it for 20 years in Excel and then online at fuelly.com . Fortunately I got over that once I bought my Tesla. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
My Blink EVSE still talks to the mothership, and I have data going back to 2011 when I got my LEAF. Never look at it unless I think there's been some problem with timers or something. It's well detailed, though, giving me average, peak power and TOU rate in 15 minute intervals.

Last edited:

I have kept a spreadsheet of just basic information since I bought the car, but nothing fancy. I just want to be able to refer to it in the future in case I need to. I log the location (home, destination charger, or SC), starting mileage, ending mileage, time charging, and that is about it.
I use teslafi. Haven’t browsed the data much, but I like having it there. Put my username in the “how did you hear about us” field and you have 1 month trial instead of 2 weeks.

I tried TesflaFi. Only had the 2 week trial. I liked it but not sure if it’s worthy the cost. Esp since I have 2 Tesla’s and is want to log both. So it would cost some money in monthly fees.

But I have a QNAP NAS, a Raspberry Pi, and an always-on Mac Mini. Does anyone have recommendations on how o could use here to log both? I had Teslams and it worked before I got the 3. But it didn’t quite work once I added the 3. It can probably be fixed to cover both. But has anyone figured this out and made it publicly available yet?

I tried TesflaFi. Only had the 2 week trial. I liked it but not sure if it’s worthy the cost. Esp since I have 2 Tesla’s and is want to log both. So it would cost some money in monthly fees.

But I have a QNAP NAS, a Raspberry Pi, and an always-on Mac Mini. Does anyone have recommendations on how o could use here to log both? I had Teslams and it worked before I got the 3. But it didn’t quite work once I added the 3. It can probably be fixed to cover both. But has anyone figured this out and made it publicly available yet?

$50 per year for Teslafi: it's a lot of features: Home -

I use teslafi. Haven’t browsed the data much, but I like having it there. Put my username in the “how did you hear about us” field and you have 1 month trial instead of 2 weeks.
I've looked at TeslaFI. I'm never a fan of subscriptions services and actually only have one such service (internet). However, TeslaFI seems reasonably priced for what you get. It certainly provides a wealth of data and is well designed in my opinion. Over my career, I think I've hired hundreds of programmer, and I wish I would have found this guy 30 years ago. He clearly knows a lot of different types of programming in order to create such a nice site.

Reactions: X Fan

OK, what am I missing here? You sent tens of thousands of dollars on not one, but TWO Teslas, and you are concerned about $5 a month? :D I guess you drained your checking account buying those two cars :eek:

• Love
Reactions: X Fan
OK, what am I missing here? You sent tens of thousands of dollars on not one, but TWO Teslas, and you are concerned about $5 a month? :D I guess you drained your checking account buying those two cars :eek:
1. Well for 2 cars it’ll be $100/yr.
2. I have all the components already to extract and host this data myself.
3. plus giving access to all my data to a 3rd party, not something I prefer to do
4. I like to think I Save money on things I can do myself so I can spend on things I want to spend on.

Reasons enough? :p

1. Well for 2 cars it’ll be $100/yr.
2. I have all the components already to extract and host this data myself.
3. plus giving access to all my data to a 3rd party, not something I prefer to do
4. I like to think I Save money on things I can do myself so I can spend on things I want to spend on.

Reasons enough? :p
Yup. That's good. I especially agree with item 4. Like to do stuff myself.
And I think you know I was just yanking your chain in humor :)

+1...superb product and great for cataloging trips. Been using it since May 2015.....software has allowed me to capture route history (in all types of weather) so that travel/charging time is very precise.

Hi,
I Researched TeslaFI and was really impressed with all it does, but have questions I hope you can help with;
1- I do not see a android App for TeslaFI, is it
Phone App Based or Computer Online program?
2- Are you able to print-out your various Charging Data & Charts?
3- Does the program Archive all your Charging Data from Day-1 of Joining?
4- Last but Not Least- Does the Data seem accurate??

Thank You for Your Help

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61
Hi,
I Researched TeslaFI and was really impressed with all it does, but have questions I hope you can help with;
1- I do not see a android App for TeslaFI, is it
Phone App Based or Computer Online program? i have an iPhone. I can access via phone or computer (no app though)
2- Are you able to print-out your various Charging Data & Charts? not always nicely formatted but yes
3- Does the program Archive all your Charging Data from Day-1 of Joining? yes, everything...a very comprehensive program
4- Last but Not Least- Does the Data seem accurate?? yes

Thank You for Your Help