TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Do you keep Creep on or off?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by shah007, Nov 21, 2016.

1. shah007

shah007 Member

Can you please let me know if you keep Creep ON or OFF? What does the Creep feature actually do? Sorry...but I dont understand the importance of having it or not having it.

• Like x 1
  2. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Off. On makes the car act like an automatic. It will move forward slowly without you pressing the accelerator.

• Like x 2
  3. abasile

abasile Working on EVBuySell

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    Definitely OFF. I want my non-AutoPilot vehicle to move forward only when I tell it to move. Wish I could turn off creep on my LEAF also.

• Like x 3
  4. virtualsmack

virtualsmack Member

I leave it on. I don't want my wife (or me) expecting the car to inch forward when foot is off the accelerator pedal when parking, expecting it to do it like our other ICE cars, and then stepping on the gas (even more so than normal to compensate) and hurling it forward.

as long as others in my household drive ICE vehicles, i figured it would be in my best interest to keep driving dynamics similar between all cars when possible, to avoid muscle confusion (except for the insane acceleration in the S ;) )

I was actually wondering if this is why we see some of those tesla accidents but pure reckless speculation on my part.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  5. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I kept it on for about the first 3 months of owning the vehicle, then turned it off one day and never went back. I like it much better with it off but it's really just a matter of personal preference. Try it both ways and see what you prefer.

• Like x 2
  6. democappy

democappy Member

Off. I had it off from the beginning so to me it was just part of learning the feel of the car that has regenerative braking. I got used to it almost immediately and couldn't imagine turning it on now.

• Like x 3
  7. Vger

Vger Active Member

Exactly my experience.

8. f-stop

f-stop Member

On. Actually for general driving purposes I would prefer leaving it off (and had it that way for the first month or two), then the car would behave more like sitting in neutral with a manual transmission car, which I was used to driving all my life.

However creep mode ON makes it much easier to slowly creep precisely into my tight-fitting garage - I need to park the car so the front bumper is practically touching the front wall in order to fit. Rather than switching back and forth every time I've now just gotten used to creep mode on. but as others have said it comes down to personal preference.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. NewJerseyMS

NewJerseyMS Member

I keep it on. It automates the creeping that is often necessary when driving.

10. Hash Browns

Hash Browns Member

Off. I've only ever owned manual transmission cars, so creep feels entirely foreign. I find it very easy to maneuver with high precision using the accelerator pedal.

• Like x 5
  11. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I dove my S for the first year with creep On, but the last 3 years with it Off. I prefer it Off, because I too find that I can control my low speeds better with it off.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. scottm

scottm Active Member

I tried it for a day.

It gave me the creeps,
    the way the car moves forward all on its own like that!

So I turned it off.

Another dead button on the UI as far as I'm concerned.

Some say, stop-and-go bumper to bumper traffic helps with one-pedal driving ON THE BRAKE.
    But does distance following cruise control functionally replace it now..

• Funny x 1
  13. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Off, always.

• Like x 1
  14. wesley888

wesley888 Member

Not on AP2 car yet. It doesn't even have old style cruise control, so I've heard.

15. JPP

JPP Active Member

When I got my 2013 S, I kept creep ON as my wife still had a Lexus (ICE with automatic). Once she got her S, creep went off permanently.

16. CatB

CatB Member

For the first 2 years, I had creep on because it made it easier parking into the garage. I had 2 small bumps to get over and I didn't like having to tap the accelerator, then go immediately to the brake. But then I turned it off for some reason and either they finetuned the accelerator responsiveness, or I found it easier to manage. So now it's off.

17. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

OFF. Never used it on my first MS and now wonder how it would mesh with the holding brake.

18. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

19. Noneduck

Noneduck Member

20. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

What is the "holding brake"?