Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you keep Creep on or off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed yesterday that my brake lights stay on are when I stop (according to the dashboard representation)

I come to a stop at junction / traffic lights, take foot off brake (level road, no roll backwards etc., for me creep is OFF), car sits still, but brake lights remain on until I pull away.

I wonder if that is a nuisance for the person behind me? - never really thought about it before, but I have seen people say "I wish people in front of me would not stay stood on their brakes when we stop in line"

Interesting, in the States it seems that it is the norm that everyone stands on their brakes as they're stopped in lines. Probably why you're seeing the brake lights on with the "Hold" function.

I've seen it where there were near accidents because someone didn't have their brake lights on while waiting at a light. The person coming from behind may have thought the car was going to go or just didn't notice them, since the lights were off.

I'm guessing that some of it comes from the fact that a larger proportion of cars in Europe are manual transmissions, opposite that in the States.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
My driveway is on a slope. I have tried it both on and off but prefer it on. When coming to a stop on the slope it isn't possible to get to the brake pedal without a horrid lurch backwards.
Actually it is easy. Pressing firmly on the brake pedal activates 'hill hold', pressing on the accelerator pedal when one wants to move disengages 'hill hold'. Simple and effective especially when driving in very hilly areas.

I've always gone with On, with the theory that it gives you better control in parking and less likelihood of becoming the next "Tesla ran through sign/building" statistic, but I may have to experiment with Off given how many folks seem to vehemently prefer it.

Reactions: wesley888
Actually it is easy. Pressing firmly on the brake pedal activates 'hill hold', pressing on the accelerator pedal when one wants to move disengages 'hill hold'. Simple and effective especially when driving in very hilly areas.

I don't think you read his post. He was talking about going from the accelerator to the brake, not vice versa. Hill hold is only helpful if you are going from brake to accelerator.

I've always gone with On, with the theory that it gives you better control in parking and less likelihood of becoming the next "Tesla ran through sign/building" statistic, but I may have to experiment with Off given how many folks seem to vehemently prefer it.
I'd suggest that having it on that is more prone to that because the car is doing something other than what the driver tells it to do. (Although really, most the "ran through something" accidents are from pedal confusion, not creep on/off.) I actually had pedal confusion the second day of ownership. Fortunately, I don't press the accelerator pedal hard, so all that happened was that I went forward a few inches and thought "Wow, so that's what it's like". Hasn't happened since in 82K miles.

Probably why you're seeing the brake lights on with the "Hold" function.

Pretty sure I wasn't on Hill Hold. I just pressed the brake pedal gently to come to a stop on a flat road (from 8 MPH, or whatever it is when Regen stops doing anything), and then released the brake pedal - stop lights remained on.

I'm happy with this (as you said, it sends a clear signal to anyone coming up fast behind), just surprised they stayed on without either Hill Hold and my foot being explicitly on the pedal.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I'd suggest that having it on that is more prone to that because the car is doing something other than what the driver tells it to do. (Although really, most the "ran through something" accidents are from pedal confusion, not creep on/off.) I actually had pedal confusion the second day of ownership. Fortunately, I don't press the accelerator pedal hard, so all that happened was that I went forward a few inches and thought "Wow, so that's what it's like". Hasn't happened since in 82K miles.

Agree that it is pedal confusion. My assumption is that confusion is less likely if you're already pressing the brake because of creep.

will the car roll backwards on a hill with creep mode off like a manual trasmission would?

Yes, which is why I keep creep mode on - when parking on any sort of hill or in a tight spot, it's much easier to have creep mode on and just modulate the brake pedal rather than jumping the right foot between pedals.

Note, that for stopping on a hill, there is 'brake hold' (regardless of setting of creep) if you press firmly on the brake until a grey capital H appears on the top right of the dashboard screen. Then, you can completely release the brake pedal.

BTW the Vehicle Hold aka Hill Hold feature works anywhere, whether on the flat or hills. (Unlike some cars, e.g. IIRC our ICE only does it when stopping on hills)

So with creep on + vehicle hold, the car doesn't creep when you're not specifically pressing the accelerator, if that bothers you at a stop light. But you can still creep into a tight spot only modulating the brake pedal. Best of both worlds IMO

Probably why you're seeing the brake lights on with the "Hold" function

You are right. I previously assumed that I drew to a stop and Hill Hold would be off. The (H) is behind the wheel for me, so not visible unless I move my head slightly, I've since checked more carefully and find that its actually quite difficult to come to a stop with Hill Hold OFF !! I had thought it required a firm press of the brake pedal to engage Hill Hold, but it seems that just a light, second, touch will also do it and, now that I have been consciously noticing for the (H) symbol :), I find it on most times that I stop, so I must be double-pressing the brake, or doing some other brake-pedal-action which is bringing Hill Hold on.

The brake lights did not show as on when I came to a stop without engaging Hill Hold, but like I said, my driving style seems to engage Hill Hold most of the times that I stop - hence why I thought I was seeing the brake lights on in my earlier post.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
You are right. I previously assumed that I drew to a stop and Hill Hold would be off. The (H) is behind the wheel for me, so not visible unless I move my head slightly, I've since checked more carefully and find that its actually quite difficult to come to a stop with Hill Hold OFF !! I had thought it required a firm press of the brake pedal to engage Hill Hold, but it seems that just a light, second, touch will also do it and, now that I have been consciously noticing for the (H) symbol :), I find it on most times that I stop, so I must be double-pressing the brake, or doing some other brake-pedal-action which is bringing Hill Hold on.

The brake lights did not show as on when I came to a stop without engaging Hill Hold, but like I said, my driving style seems to engage Hill Hold most of the times that I stop - hence why I thought I was seeing the brake lights on in my earlier post.

Thanks for update! I love the Hold feature too, and found just a light push on the brake pedal brings it up quickly.

Funny thing is that I have the same feature on my BMW X5, but it's a button you have to press. When it's activated the car feels lethargic, like the brakes are always on and dragging. Also when it's on, I am never sure when it will kick in, especially with stop and go traffic. Once I thought I was just crawling with traffic when I guess I actually stopped the car by accident and it kicked in. I never use it on my X5.

Tesla's "Hold" feature is just so simple and intuitive. You need it, just push a bit harder. If you don't need it, it's not there. Love it.:)

Hill hold and no creep are two of the best features. Wish the leaf had it. I find it creeping when it shouldn't.

I can see creep being useful in a tight garage.
Totally agree. The Leaf wears out our legs with its creepiness. At least we can shift to B from D and get extra regen. But it's always moving forward when it doesn't need to. Always OFF in the Tesla. Always B in the Leaf. Wish I could add more B to the Tesla and Creep Off to the Leaf.

Totally agree. The Leaf wears out our legs with its creepiness. At least we can shift to B from D and get extra regen. But it's always moving forward when it doesn't need to. Always OFF in the Tesla. Always B in the Leaf. Wish I could add more B to the Tesla and Creep Off to the Leaf.

What is it from B you wish you could bring to the Tesla? More regen on off throttle?