Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you know if your state has an EV parking law?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While waiting for my email to configure my Model 3, I was wondering how many states in the U.S. currently have a law on the books that prohibit ICE vehicles from parking in EV parking/charging spots.

I know there are people out there trying to decide if they will take the plunge and buy a Model 3 because of many fears, including range anxiety and being ICE'd at a supercharger while on a road trip.

If you know for a fact that your state has such a law, please respond and let us all know so that EV owners and those buying the Model 3 can look forward to traveling around the country with a little piece of mind.

I learned recently that my home state of Arizona has a law, and here it is:

28-876. Parking spaces for electric vehicles; civil penalty

A. A person shall not stop, stand or park a motor vehicle within any parking space specially designated for parking and fueling motor vehicles fueled exclusively by electricity unless the motor vehicle is powered by electricity and has been issued an alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker pursuant to section 28-2416.

B. If a law enforcement officer finds a motor vehicle in violation of this section, the law enforcement officer shall issue a complaint to the operator or other person in charge of the motor vehicle or, if an operator or other person is not present, to the registered owner of the motor vehicle for a civil traffic violation.

C. A person who is found responsible for a violation of this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least three hundred fifty dollars. Notwithstanding section 28-1554, the civil penalties collected pursuant to this subsection shall be deposited in the state general fund.

There is always someone with more knowledge and information. Thanks BerTx
Or that is faster at Google.

It looks like there are not many, and most of those are worthless. I know Washington has specific signage and painting requirements that I have never seen there. California is likely the same, and in addition they apparently only act on complaints from property owners where the charger is located.

I'm afraid property owners are not likely to call the police or a tow truck on behalf of one customer over another customer.

Or that is faster at Google.

It looks like there are not many, and most of those are worthless. I know Washington has specific signage and painting requirements that I have never seen there. California is likely the same, and in addition they apparently only act on complaints from property owners where the charger is located.

I'm afraid property owners are not likely to call the police or a tow truck on behalf of one customer over another customer.

Probably so. Would like to see any Tesla charger, supercharger or destination charger, to INCLUDE the physical parking space associated with the charger. If Tesla hasn't already done so, they need to negotiate the property rights for the charger's parking spot so that Tesla owners can then call if a non-EV is parked in that spot.

I looked at PlugInSites map and hope to hear from some folks in those states not having EV parking laws.

...I learned recently that my home state of Arizona has a law, and here it is:

28-876. Parking spaces for electric vehicles; civil penalty

A. A person shall not stop, stand or park a motor vehicle within any parking space specially designated for parking and fueling motor vehicles fueled exclusively by electricity unless the motor vehicle is powered by electricity and has been issued an alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker pursuant to section 28-2416....

Do they not think when they write these laws? Technically if you are driving through the state and charge there you are in violation for not having a special plate or sticker. It's almost as bad as only having one charging spot and marking it handicap.

Do they not think when they write these laws? Technically if you are driving through the state and charge there you are in violation for not having a special plate or sticker. It's almost as bad as only having one charging spot and marking it handicap.
Seems specifically anti-Tesla, but I doubt it was intentional. They have no concept of long-distance EV use.

Lots of imperfect things about various state parking laws ... BUT ... five years ago, I don't remember any EV parking laws. It's progress.

If you're in a state with problems, let your state legislators know. They're the people who can fix it and they need to fix it. There are lots more EVs about to be on the roads. And in the parking lots.

Reactions: BerTX
Lots of imperfect things about various state parking laws ... BUT ... five years ago, I don't remember any EV parking laws. It's progress.

If you're in a state with problems, let your state legislators know. They're the people who can fix it and they need to fix it. There are lots more EVs about to be on the roads. And in the parking lots.

The problem is I drive past thousands of parallel parked cars every day. It's going to be a long time before people are allowed to put chargers in public sidewalks again. Those people are not about to start giving free parking spots to others because of the fancy car that they buy.

The problem is I drive past thousands of parallel parked cars every day. It's going to be a long time before people are allowed to put chargers in public sidewalks again. Those people are not about to start giving free parking spots to others because of the fancy car that they buy.

Around where I live, "those people" are the ones buying the fancy cars.......so there may be more EV charging coming soon.

Bonnie, I have seen your powers of gentle suasion at work, and I tip my hat to you. Me, I have all the diplomacy of the proverbial bull in a china shop.

That said, I am cynical with politicians. Their payoff is campaign contributions. Period. They only want to keep their jobs as politicians, and the hoi polloi like us be damned: cf. the recent tax legislation just passed in the House--but I digress.

The politicians will fix this problem only when the quantity of BEVs sold reaches a significant number of all new vehicle sales AND they begin to feel the pressure from some of their lobbyists and campaign contributors.

I hope I am wrong!

There were plenty of parking at this hotel but two cars took the 3 only EV spots because its closer to the elevator.

Attachments

• 20171210_124719.jpg
    20171210_124719.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 197
If it makes anyone feel better I just checked the number of charging stations in Omaha Nebraska. Omaha has around 800,000 people in it.

Superchargers - ZERO (There is one about 15 miles outside of town in Iowa
Destination Chargers - 3 Stations
Chargepoint - 7 Stations
Other Plugs - 9 Stations

Total Locations; 12

Actually Arizona's statute is accurate.

Let's take it piece by piece and you will see that the part you are referencing (special plates or sticker) is for hybrids, EREV's etc., though it is not specifically stated that way. Let's see why.

A: A person shall not stop, stand or park a motor vehicle within any parking space specially designated for parking and fueling vehicles FUELED EXCLUSIVELY BY ELECTRICITY.....(Now comes the inclusion for hybrids, etc.)...unless the motor vehicle is powered by electricity AND has been issued an alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker pursuant to section 28-2416.

So you can't park there if you're not driving a BEV, unless the EV you are driving has a special alternative fuel vehicle plate or sticker that meets A.R.S. 28-2416. This would also apply to out of state travelers.

Hope that helps.