Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you know your VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in the ancient times (for me that was 2013), we early adopters knew and were proud of the last five digits of our VIN numbers. We could recite them upon demand, and the Service Center reps knew all they needed to do was ask for the number. Our mirrors didn't fold, our bumpers didn't beep, and we actually had to drive the car ourselves. I know - how primitive.

I'm curious if you Tesla youngsters still feel that way, or have you just become a generation of anonymous vehicle owners with no knowledge of that all important number that tells all of us when you finally joined the Tesla family.

Yours truly,

An old guy "classic" owner..

• Funny
Reactions: CHG-ON
@Lawsteve, you crack me up. I most certainly know mine. 51086! Though this is the first car that I have cared about that. I agree, I think the halcyon days of the truly obsessed fanboys is coming to an end. I can see it in the change in character of the posts these days and how I rarely seem to hear from some of the venerable old guard who used to educate us all on the coolest stuff. I guess we have reached the point where we know pretty much all there is to know about an MS. Bound to happen sooner or later.

I am actually quite sad about it. But I realize that it is a sign of maturity of the product and the proliferation of Tesla. They are becoming more of an every person's car, which is a great thing and something I think what we all want. I just miss the romance of the earlier days.

And I have only had mine since 10-'14!

Thanks for the post.

Maybe if I had some cool number, but no, it's 147k, I doubt I will memorize it. I don't think that makes me any less of a fan of the car or the company, I just don't care to memorize a number. I reserve the right to change my mind at some point (in case I run for office).

I don't know my VIN yet, maybe next week I will, but I have a lot of respect for those who trailblazed for the rest of us. I would have been there with you except: poverty. I have come to know many early adopters, and find them to be a genial and worthy bunch, not like these hooligan... Um, nevermind...

I do know my Vin though, Petite Syrah and Tempranillo, Malbec from Mendoza, excellent.. (ota updates would be nice - your '98 kaiken ultra has been upgraded to 2 litres...)

• Love
Back in the ancient times (for me that was 2013), we early adopters knew and were proud of the last five digits of our VIN numbers. We could recite them upon demand, and the Service Center reps knew all they needed to do was ask for the number. Our mirrors didn't fold, our bumpers didn't beep, and we actually had to drive the car ourselves. I know - how primitive.

I'm curious if you Tesla youngsters still feel that way, or have you just become a generation of anonymous vehicle owners with no knowledge of that all important number that tells all of us when you finally joined the Tesla family.

Yours truly,

Funny you mention that. I used to ask other owners at superchargers what their VIN number was to get an idea the production run of their car and the possible features it may or not have. Every one always answered the battery size.... idiots....

• Disagree
Know mine by heart and am proud that my VIN was one of first after Tesla celebrated the 100k car (103xxx). Not as cool as the OP and others but even though I "became family" here only last year it's still important to me.

Anyone notice how many of the most knowledgable early adopters like Jason (wk057), dirkh and many more either don't come here anymore or are rarely on? Sad.

@Lawsteve, you crack me up. I most certainly know mine. 51086! Though this is the first car that I have cared about that. I agree, I think the halcyon days of the truly obsessed fanboys is coming to an end. I can see it in the change in character of the posts these days and how I rarely seem to hear from some of the venerable old guard who used to educate us all on the coolest stuff. I guess we have reached the point where we know pretty much all there is to know about an MS. Bound to happen sooner or later.

I am actually quite sad about it. But I realize that it is a sign of maturity of the product and the proliferation of Tesla. They are becoming more of an every person's car, which is a great thing and something I think what we all want. I just miss the romance of the earlier days.

And I have only had mine since 10-'14!

Thanks for the post.

Those were the days:

Waiting for the new software update..... To version 4.0

Excited about the SECOND supercharging station in Florida

Looking forward to hitting the 20,000th Model S

Holding our breath to see the 3rd quarter 2013 financial reports to see if the company would survive

Getting the free "tank mode" titanium plate and responding to the dozens of snarky "will your car catch on fire" emails from your sarcastic friends

Responding to "what's that car?" "A Tesla". "Who makes it?" "Tesla". "What company?" "Tesla". Where is that?" "California". "Is that in the US?"

Wow, I've only had the car for 2 1/2 years and I feel like the owner of an original Model A

And I still love my classic, yet somewhat obsolete, P85.

Picked up my car June 9. Went to my SC yesterday for a minor issue and when the manager started out the door saying he needed to get the last 6 digits of my VIN I told him no need and rattled it off. So yeah, Tesla "youngster" here knows his VIN.

Reactions: msnow

Yours truly,

I can recite my classic's vin, I haven't a clue about my new one

I don't know my VIN yet, maybe next week I will, but I have a lot of respect for those who trailblazed for the rest of us. I would have been there with you except: poverty. I have come to know many early adopters, and find them to be a genial and worthy bunch, not like these hooligan... Um, nevermind...

I do know my Vin though, Petite Syrah and Tempranillo, Malbec from Mendoza, excellent.. (ota updates would be nice - your '98 kaiken ultra has been upgraded to 2 litres...)

Try the Justin Reserve Tempranillo. Good stuff for a domestic attempt.

Reactions: MrLunch
Know mine by heart and am proud that my VIN was one of first after Tesla celebrated the 100k car (103xxx). Not as cool as the OP and others but even though I "became family" here only last year it's still important to me.

Anyone notice how many of the most knowledgable early adopters like Jason (wk057), dirkh and many more either don't come here anymore or are rarely on? Sad.
wk057 didn't like the new forum software, iirc.
Plenty of truly early adopters around still. Just look towards the Roadster forums. :)

I remember the 3 digits of my Model S reservation number and last 3 digits of VIN. I don't remember my Model 3 reservation #.

Not to say I'm as big of a contributor as wk, but the new layout, the reorganization of threads, loss of user metrics, and the overall general slowness that came with the new site was a huge turnoff for those of us that spent a lot of time here. Not to say you can't connect with other owners like before, but I feel like it's harder and requires more intentionality on my part.

Reactions: CHG-ON and msnow