Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you know your VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can rattle off the last six digits of my VIN easily, granted it's not a low, 'leet number like some of you "early adopter" types. :) Weirdly that's surprised some folks at Service Centers, to which my response is usually "Doesn't every owner know this?" (Apparently the answer is "no".)

As with someone else, up-thread, this is the first car I've ever owned where I knew or cared what the VIN was.

Bruce.

Yes, I know my VIN (well, the last 5). The burning question I have.. since it's a CPO, it might have been one of your VINs! I actually know the previous owner's name and business location (due to having copy of previous title) and I've considered getting in touch to learn if there was anything I should know about the car (like drive unit replacement, etc). Some folks, particularly if they upgraded to a newer Model S, might not mind that at all. Others might be totally creeped out, so I haven't done it. Yet. Maybe someday.

Yes, I know my VIN (well, the last 5). The burning question I have.. since it's a CPO, it might have been one of your VINs! I actually know the previous owner's name and business location (due to having copy of previous title) and I've considered getting in touch to learn if there was anything I should know about the car (like drive unit replacement, etc). Some folks, particularly if they upgraded to a newer Model S, might not mind that at all. Others might be totally creeped out, so I haven't done it. Yet. Maybe someday.

I had the same thought. There is a thread of Model S VINs somewhere. I checked that and mine wasn't listed. If yours happens to be I would think a member of this forum would be far less creeped out than a random person at large.

I have the best of both worlds, an early easy to remember number, but it's also been retrofitted. Tesla added folding mirrors, and the original owner added parking sensors, radar, collision warning and blind spot detection. Kinda like a "new" old model. I'm sure my first visit to it's new SC for my annual service will raise a few eyebrows. o_O

All the digits and what they mean. I'M an old timer with lots of trips around the sun but a new kid on this block. I appreciate the Roadster guys and early adopters paving the way for me to be sitting in the best car ever; charging and enjoyng a cool summer breeze; typing a response on a built in computer; listening to streaming jazz.
Next year this car will be sun powered on Merritt Island. I'm living the dream. Thanks!

P.S. Had my wine already 'cause I know it's always 5 o'clock some where!

Reactions: msnow
Back in the ancient times (for me that was 2013), we early adopters knew and were proud of the last five digits of our VIN numbers. We could recite them upon demand, and the Service Center reps knew all they needed to do was ask for the number. Our mirrors didn't fold, our bumpers didn't beep, and we actually had to drive the car ourselves. I know - how primitive.

I'm curious if you Tesla youngsters still feel that way, or have you just become a generation of anonymous vehicle owners with no knowledge of that all important number that tells all of us when you finally joined the Tesla family.

Yours truly,

An old guy "classic" owner..

I see your question as rhetorical in nature. That is, the reason you know your VIN is precisely because you knew back then that the days of Tesla owners not knowing their VINs were coming, and that makes what you had so special. It's extremely rare in a lifetime that a new, game changing, and disruptive technology comes along in which you can place your number on it, or know your place at the front of the line (long range EV's -- not just EV's -- since it's only Tesla's long range EV's that changed the game).

• Love
Reactions: CHG-ON
I see your question as rhetorical in nature. That is, the reason you know your VIN is precisely because you knew back then that the days of Tesla owners not knowing their VINs were coming, and that makes what you had so special. It's extremely rare in a lifetime that a new, game changing, and disruptive technology comes along in which you can place your number on it, or know your place at the front of the line (long range EV's -- not just EV's -- since it's only Tesla's long range EV's that changed the game).

I love, love, LOVE your post!

Being part of this revolution has been an honor. I took a huge plunge for me to get this girl and I am proud to have taken the risk. Plus,the rewards have been great so far.

Reactions: msnow