Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you like the auto presenting front doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of the individual features by themselves can come across as gimmicks but when they are used collectively, they provide an experience unlike any other vehicle today. I walk up to the car, the car door opens; I press the brake, the car starts; after reaching my destination, I walk away and the doors close and the car locks. So, seen from a user experience perspective, each of these individual gimmicks provide an car owenership experience unmatched in the auto industry. And it will only get better witht he OTA's.

Most of the time I love them. When I don't is when I'm trying to pack the car to go anywhere. They have supposedly addressed this with 8.0 but I haven't really had a chance to try it out since getting the update.

Oh, and be sure to turn it off when you pull it out of the garage to wash it! :eek::rolleyes::p;)

• Funny
Reactions: brianman
I don't know. Is it a gimmick if it's something that you get used to and then have a hard time giving it up?

When I first got my X I was too scared to use this feature, for fear of it failing and me ending up with a big scratch on my door.

After about a month, I decided to turn it on and give it a try. I haven't turned it off since and now I get frustrated by any door that doesn't automatically open for me. Just last week, I stood in front of a door for 2-3 seconds at a parking garage before I realized that it wasn't going to auto-open.

It has reliably opened for me about 49 times out of 50. I do still monitor how far it opens if there are any obstructions and am prepared to grab it before it hits anything. It's entirely reliably for big objects like walls and such, but if there is a weird obstruction (eg a bike leaning against wall or a thin poll) that's when I pay closer attention.