Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you like the second gen Aero Wheels?

How do you like the looks of the Aero Wheels v2?

• I like it!

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • I can take it or leave it

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • It's ugly

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(please let me know if this question has been asked before)

Yes, the old Aero Wheels look really bad. But what do you think about the new ones? Have you seen these in person? Did you keep yours or take them off? I want to know what other people think.

pictures from drivingelectric.com

DSC_6066.jpg

Personally, I think they are fine.I have heard they may help on more miles per charge..even if it's .01 percent, or whatever. More concerned with how the car handles and keeping my battery in good shape. Love the way it drives.

I thought I was the only person in the world who really likes them, but so far I have been getting a lot of compliments mostly from non-car/non-Tesla people.

I really wanted to keep the Aero Wheel caps because I appreciate the fact that they were specifically engineered to improve range and efficiency.

To me, the v2s were a big improvement over the v1s. If I had the v1s, I would have taken them off from day one. But with the v2s, I feel like I would have chosen them over the Performance wheels, just for the fact that the aeros are more "engineered"

I thought I was the only person in the world who really likes them, but so far I have been getting a lot of compliments mostly from non-car/non-Tesla people.

I really wanted to keep the Aero Wheel caps because I appreciate the fact that they were specifically engineered to improve range and efficiency.

To me, the v2s were a big improvement over the v1s. If I had the v1s, I would have taken them off from day one. But with the v2s, I feel like I would have chosen them over the Performance wheels, just for the fact that the aeros are more "engineered"
I am done with statement wheels. Keeping the v2s wheels firmly attached.

I wish they would have just made a proper aero wheel out of aluminum instead.

View attachment 715252

The could not. Here's a great article explaining the engineering behind the aero wheels Tesla Model 3 aero wheels explained by the automaker's former head of aerodynamics

“With casting there’s a minimum thickness of 10-12mm at the perimeter, making wheels like this obscenely heavy. With the cap approach they’re the lightest wheel design Tesla has ever done, & with very low rotational inertia. A lot of effort went into the integration of the cap so that it sits flush at the rim, and not on the outside if it, as on all the other wheel caps you’ll see. Having multi-part & multi-material wheels is the best way to satisfy multiple optimization goals. The thought with these wheels that having the latest tech on the latest car would be more appropriate than more traditional rims.

These comments from their engineering team is exactly the reason why I would run the Aero Wheels even if I had the performance version. Aeros are better engineered!

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
They look better than the V1 for sure, but he efficiency gains with them are moot; you're stopping at a SC on a trip anyways. So unless you just LOVE the look of them, they are pointless. The rims underneath looks better with the aero cap kit from Tesla IMO.

They look better than the V1 for sure, but he efficiency gains with them are moot; you're stopping at a SC on a trip anyways. So unless you just LOVE the look of them, they are pointless. The rims underneath looks better with the aero cap kit from Tesla IMO.
There's plenty to like about efficiency gains. You save money, save time charging, and the 5% range improvement may become the difference between reaching the next supercharger on a long trip when you are towing/carrying cargo/camping/driving in the cold.

There's plenty to like about efficiency gains. You save money, save time charging, and the 5% range improvement may become the difference between reaching the next supercharger on a long trip when you are towing/carrying cargo/camping/driving in the cold.
Serves no real life application IMO. If you really need that minor 5% efficiency gain, I would wager you didn't really plan your trip well enough and are already taking your battery well below 10%, which isn't recommended anyways. I can see more of a use on the SR+ model than the LR model. But like I said, unless you just love the look of the aeros the real world application isn't there and wouldn't change any of my driving habits. I'm charging long before a max 5% gain would help me anywhere I go.

Just my 2 cents.