TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do you like your silicone key fob cover?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by eco5280, Feb 11, 2015.

1. eco5280

eco5280 Member

#1 eco5280, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
    I'm thinking about ordering a silicone key fob cover to match the color of my car. Those of you who own this, do you like it? Would you recommend it?

EDIT: Thanks guys - ordered!

2. PlanB

PlanB Banned

No and no. It's hard to pull out of a pocket and it collects lint and dust like there's no tomorrow. I like my fob the way it is, hardly noticeable in my pocket.

3. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

I got mine from here.
    Amazon.com: Silicone FobPocket for the Tesla Model S (Black): Automotive

I like it a lot. I have it for all 3 keys. It's a lot smaller than the cover that Tesla provides. Easy enough to get in and out of my pocket too. Havent had problems with dust or lint. Only problem is that my son likes to take the spare key and play with it when we are not looking.

4. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Interesting. I didn't know Pete started selling on Amazon. I've purchased all my pockets right from the AO website: STORE - FobPockets - Abstract Ocean If you order more than $45 it's cheaper direct, otherwise Amazon wins if you have Prime.

My wife loves her baby blue silicon fob pocket. I have one of my own, but have kept using the "Deluxe" model because it has a carabiner loop. I have a leather one as well, but didn't like the snap and so it sits in a box unused.

They're all really high quality. Pete does a good job with them.

5. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I have the AO perforated leather fobpocket...really like it!

6. rays427

rays427 Member

Me and my wife have them and like them. I like it that it's not slippery and it has the markings showing which end is which. For $10.99 on Amazon Prime the cost is low. If you buy it and don't like it your not out enough to worry about it.

7. commasign

commasign Active Member

I like the silicon fobpocket. It's slim and functional. The buttons markers are great. No issues with dust.

8. liuping

liuping Active Member

I love mine. I would never go with a "naked" fob again.

9. Zextraterrestrial

the ring/tab on the silicone fob also help feel which end is the trunk/frunk. love mine

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I got a free silicone fob pocket when I ordered a full set of the Sportline TSTs. Nice touch!

I liked the fob pocket a lot! I put mine on a small carabiner and wore it on my belt loop, so I always knew where it was and didn't have to worry about it being in some other pocket or "where are my keys???".

But then the rubber split and tore along the top. So now I'm thinking of replacing it, but just haven't yet.

photo.JPG

11. xy46

xy46 Member

I definitely like mine. Got the black one. It does collect lint a bit, but not that big of a problem. I definitely would order it again.

12. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Love mine, have several colors. Any lint that may collect dusts off easily. The black one with the red buttons and white windows is my favorite.

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I love mine. I bought two at TMC Connect last summer thinking I might need a spare. The original is still in perfect shape.

14. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

Love mine. First bought 2 for me (one each in the 2 different reds so I could tell them apart if necessary) then bought 2 (grey and silver for the same reasons) for my wife. I do not keep anything attached to it.

15. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Thanks guys - ordered!

16. morbot

morbot Member

The neoprene fob cover that Tesla provided was bulky & loose. I'm glad they give us something to prevent the fob from getting scratched up, but I didn't like it. After about two weeks of usage I felt like the key was going to slide right back out of it.

I ordered the silicon fob from Abstract Ocean as I've been quite happy with it. Very snug fit, good feel, compact and not bulky in my pocket. The black version does pickup a little pocket-fuzz so its not quite as "jet black" as it was when it arrived, but it's not so bad that I've felt like I needed to clean it.

17. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I feel like a buy should buy a red one also, in case I ever come across a Hellcat owner!

18. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

I love mine, I got it on Amazon. It's great.

19. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

The original coating on my fob came off, exposing the top button, after about 10 months of naked use. So when my car went in for service recently, they put a new coat on the fob. Since I imagine it will happen again, I recently ordered a silicone grey one from Abstract Ocean, plus the "mystery gift", since I like surprises, and for $4.99 what the heck:

Mystery Gift.... - Abstract Ocean

It should arrive any day now. The only problem I have read about the silicone cover, including in this thread, is the key ring seems to tear off easily so hopefully I can keep the original Tesla wire and key ring on the fob and feed it through the case and then perhaps trim off the silicone attachment to make it smaller and less bulky.

20. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I really like mine. I've had it for several months now and no issues.