Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you like your silicone key fob cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got one of the silicon fob covers but I've been having some trouble recently with the Charge port door popping open when I get in the car.

I don't think it's the fob. I was having the charge port door pop open repeatedly about a year or more ago. I'd get in the door and "clunk" the port would be open. Get out, close the cover and often it would repeat. That went away with a firmware update, but with the most recent version of 6.1 that I've received, I notice the car has started doing this again.

I don't think it's the fob. I was having the charge port door pop open repeatedly about a year or more ago. I'd get in the door and "clunk" the port would be open. Get out, close the cover and often it would repeat. That went away with a firmware update, but with the most recent version of 6.1 that I've received, I notice the car has started doing this again.
Huh, well that's interesting. Did you ever take it in to service for them to take a look at it?

Huh, well that's interesting. Did you ever take it in to service for them to take a look at it?
I don't know that it was the firmware. What I think happens is that the button on the cable is very sensitive and just touching it without pressing is enough to open the charge port. It's easy to brush a finger or thumb against the button without realizing it. I've yet to have this happen if I make a conscience effort to avoid touch the silver part of the cable.

I don't know that it was the firmware. What I think happens is that the button on the cable is very sensitive and just touching it without pressing is enough to open the charge port.

What I had experienced a year or so ago, and has recently returned goes like this: Unlatch charge cable, close port and get into car. Step on the brake and "clunk", the port opens and the dash shows charge port open. Get out of car, close port again, get back in car. Sometimes this would happen two or three times in a row. I was nowhere near the UMC handle when this happened, and it doesn't happen every time. Maybe one time in five.

A number of people reported this, although like most things Tesla, not everyone experienced it. I can't remember if I reported it to Service or not, but it went away after a firmware update. I just noticed it again over the past few days since getting .116.

What I had experienced a year or so ago, and has recently returned goes like this: Unlatch charge cable, close port and get into car. Step on the brake and "clunk", the port opens and the dash shows charge port open. Get out of car, close port again, get back in car. Sometimes this would happen two or three times in a row. I was nowhere near the UMC handle when this happened, and it doesn't happen every time. Maybe one time in five.

That one hasn't happened to me. Mine are always while I'm hanging up the UMC cord.

Interesting. I didn't know Pete started selling on Amazon. I've purchased all my pockets right from the AO website: STORE - FobPockets - Abstract Ocean If you order more than $45 it's cheaper direct, otherwise Amazon wins if you have Prime.

My wife loves her baby blue silicon fob pocket. I have one of my own, but have kept using the "Deluxe" model because it has a carabiner loop. I have a leather one as well, but didn't like the snap and so it sits in a box unused.

They're all really high quality. Pete does a good job with them.

Phew, lots to reply to, not sure why I didn't notice this thread earlier...but thanks for all the kind words :) :)

Yup, on Amazon now as well; the fees are higher, but for anyone in the US with Prime it's just a really easy option, and honestly I don't mind paying them to do my fulfillment for me, they're pretty good at it :)

- - - Updated - - -

...The black version does pickup a little pocket-fuzz so its not quite as "jet black" as it was when it arrived, but it's not so bad that I've felt like I needed to clean it.

If you need to, just pop the key out and rinse the FobPocket in warm water, silicone rubber is great stuff, it cleans up really easily.

- - - Updated - - -

... The only problem I have read about the silicone cover, including in this thread, is the key ring seems to tear off easily so hopefully I can keep the original Tesla wire and key ring on the fob and feed it through the case and then perhaps trim off the silicone attachment to make it smaller and less bulky.

Just to put it into context, there's about 4.5k of these out there now :-o, and very few have had issues with the key chain, but, you're right, of the few issues I've seen, that's it. I'm looking at options to offer an 'upgraded' key chain/strap for a very small additional cost, but so far I've not been happy with any of the options. I'll get it figured out though, but in the meantime, don't worry too much :)

- - - Updated - - -

Meh. Pete personally delivers to my house. Beats Amazon every time. :)

:) That's because I'm cheap, and don't like USPS :)

- - - Updated - - -

In case anyone wants to know where I got the loop and the mini ring in the picture above, they are available on Amazon in 10 packs for 1.33 (for all 10). Pete, you should stock up on these and include them as an option to the keyring and chain...or perhaps as a replacement:

Amazon.com: Beadaholique 10-Piece Cell Phone Strap with Black/Silver Tone Split Ring

Thanks Jake. I'm working on something with slightly flatter string, but it's along the same lines.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got Tesla's new leather fob cover. Love it!

Sigh. I've said it before, but I wish Tesla would work with some of us (i.e. small, niche accessory manufacturers that help enhance the brand) and push back on the guys selling red T-shirts with the (unlicenced) T logo on eBay. I thought I was making headway with Tesla Marketing/Merchandise when Simon was there, but that fell apart after he left. I'd happily work with them on a licensing model, but in this respect they're exactly the same as other auto manufacturers.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an issue with the charge port door as well; I walk up to the car, it unlocks. I try to open the door with the UMC (or key) and it never opens. I open the back door of the car, close it, then try the UMC and it works. Every time. Slightly annoying, but I'm used to it.

- - - Updated - - -

...I hear Pete is adding a P85D leather fob pocket soon, and I'll probably pick up one of those too.

This is true, more details (and the option to pre-order) here. I'm expecting the first batch in Mid-March, but that's already about 70% sold. Considering other complimentary accessories too (phone holders, wallets etc).

A number of people reported this, although like most things Tesla, not everyone experienced it. I can't remember if I reported it to Service or not, but it went away after a firmware update. I just noticed it again over the past few days since getting .116.
This is exactly what I'm experiencing. I'll have to bring it up with Service and see what they say. I will say that in my limited experimentation having the key out of my pocket when I get in the car seems to alleviate the problem so that's part of the reason I assumed the "hold trunk button" on the fob was to blame, but it's such an intermittent problem that it could just be correlation, not causation.