Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you "miss" the Energy Graph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. The large center console trip energy graph is the main thing I have on screen in my Model S when road tripping. I really hope they add at least a smaller version for the Model 3.

I don't miss the smaller on the dash energy graph at all.

Not being a current S/X owner, but a frequent passenger of them, I can already tell I'll miss this.

Somewhat related, I wonder if anyone has ever proposed being able to "skin" the Model 3 display as a feature for tech-savvy drivers, perhaps as a part of the driver profile. Personally, I'm not a huge fan boring Helvetica fonts, all the wasted space (who needs that enormous car icon that only has a few buttons on it?), etc. Obviously, drivers should be able to share their skins with others, and Tesla would benefit from some free development to improve the UI.

Just finished over 3,600 mile trip. Energy graphs are so 2012.

The 3 is quite accurate in determining if you can make it or not. Nav tells you what you’ll have left when you arrive and constantly adjusts as you cover miles. If you start to use too much it’ll tell you to keep your speed below a certain amount to reach your destination. If you ignore the warning, it eventually reroutes you to a closer charger.

I cleared my B trip before I started so I was aware of my average Wh/mile. 256 I averaged, which included a LOT of head and crosswinds - like hundreds of miles in a row - some mountain climbs and spirited driving.

The Model 3 reports consumption since last charge and by a 'B' trip meter, in addition to a constantly updating estimate or remaining charge until a destination is reached. The car also has a power meter line under the speedometer that can be thought of as an instantaneous consumption meter, albeit unscaled unless someone bothers to make a sticky.

Personally, I am more than fine with the data displayed.

the only think I want to see from the small energy graph is the limited regen triangle warning light. or know when or how much regen i have. but then again, i can just feel it when i let up off the gas.

I do not miss the graph itself but I do miss the estimated range that graph shows when set to average and last 30 miles. This in my experience has given the most accurate charge left display. If they could just display that number on the dash instead of ideal range that would be great.

I don’t have my 3 handy right now to check but the two useful bits of information are there as I recall. The predicted arrival battery percent is at the bottom of the nav instructions and the limited power and regen are dashes on the power line below the speed.
The Wh/mi chart is fun to look at but more distracting than useful. These days I keep the binacle sides empty except for nav.

I've had something similar for three years on my old Leaf, don't miss it.
Don't need it now I've
a) got the range
b) the range estimates are really accurate, unlike the wild, inaccurate guesses the Leaf would waft hopefully at you.

I like the energy graph on our S. The line shows the estimated usage from the battery, and steep declines or inclines can indicate in advance when the road is gaining or losing elevation. The comparisons between the initial estimate and the ongoing estimate are helpful to me, as I will likely not remember what the initial reserve was going to be.

Moreover, much to the annoyance of a certain, unnamed member of this site, I can easily read the font size on the energy graph with my aging eyeballs. The font size on the navigation blurb is too small to be viewed clearly. Since my distance vision is 20/15, I do not need glasses to drive, and I do not want to keep removing sunglasses and putting on my transition lenses just to read a screen.

So, yes, it would be a nice feature if our 3 had an energy graph. Failing that, it would be helpful if Tesla increased the font size, or allowed an option for us to increase the font size.

Hi all,

What has been everyone’s experience with the accuracy of the estimated trip endpoint percent battery capacity? Do the Model S and Model 3 nav system estimates adequately take steep hill climbs into account (e.g. 6000-8000 ft.)? I’ve found that EVTripplanner underestimates rated miles consumed in these circumstances, sometimes by as much as 15-20 miles.

Thanks in advance!
Oliver

For the visual amongst us, here is what that screen looks like, if you have not driven an S/X. The changing contour of the line reflects predicted consumption based on elevation changes:
IMG_6674.JPG

While driving, it is easy to adjust speed to make your destination, even though the prediction when setting off was rather grim:

IMG_6672.JPG

I’m still waiting for my Model 3; does the current firmware version still not have the equivalent of the S/X energy usage graph?

If so, I’m surprised Tesla has not implemented it yet. I have found it useful over my nearly 5 years of Tesla ownership. I would think it would not be difficult for Tesla to include in the 3 since they have the code already; tweak some parameters and add it to the 3 firmware.

Reactions: e-FTW