TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do you miss the roar of a V8?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Darren Donovan, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Darren Donovan

Hello,
    First post here. I'm having an internal debate on what I should do, just looking for another perspective from people on this forum, though probably biased. :smile: I've had my share of big powered V8, in Camaros and Corvettes. Currently I'm splitting time between a 2013 Volt and a 2006 Corvette Z06 (modified to about 600 HP and 525 TQ on the dyno, along with suspension mods), I track the car several times a year at Willow Springs raceway in Lancaster, CA. I knew for a while that EV would be the way to go, for environmental and political reasons. That was why I got the Volt. I'm extremely happy with that car, so smooth and effortless, I'm on the battery 99.99% of the time, so essentially for me it's a "BEV". The Z06 used to be my daily driver, now I only drive it only a few times a month. I'm seriously considering ordering a Model S (though my wife would probably prefer the X, for more room, we have 2 kids). I just love the design of the car, exterior and luxurious interior. When I drive the Volt, I miss the thunder of the Z06. I know that I will not be able to track the Tesla like I do with the Vette, I'm OK with giving that up for now. For those of you who had experience with a V8 sports car, do you miss it? I know the Tesla is stupendously fast in a straightline, but for overall performance, especially on a track, the Z06 is on a different level. I don't know if I should sell the Vette. I'm getting the Tesla regardless, but garage space is an issue. I'd welcome your opinions.
    Thanks,

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

For me, it comes and goes. I usually love the silence. I like taking off with little to no pomp and circumstance. I did take my R8 on an extended drive last week though, and oh man, when it accelerated there was definitely a primal RAWR from within.

The S and R8 have similar 0-60s (mine is SC so a bit faster), but it's dizzying in the S, while very guttural in the R8. When it comes to handling, I don't have a P85+ so the R8 wins hands down. There's very little I'm afraid to try in that car, while in the S I feel like I have to baby it into the curves. From what others have posted on the boards, if you're going to do it, be sure to get the Performance Plus package.

If you're going to keep your your Z06, then I'd go for it (or maybe wait for the X and have a bada$$ kid hauler since it's supposed to have similar performance).

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I miss having a loud and obnoxious engine about once a month. The rest of the month I genuinely enjoy the silence.

But I enjoy being loud and obnoxious on occasion, so there is that.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

WHAT?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU. THERE'S A CAR WITH A HUGE V-8 NEXT TO ME!

That would be a big fat "not even a little bit" to answer the OP's question....

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Sort of like I miss the click*click*click* I would hear with in the receiver of a dial telephone, Or the* Thshhboing* of a tube TV going on. Or the creaky-groan of a building steam radiator warming up. They all give a certain comfort that they are working they way they are supposed to and it was that aural feedback that said, all was right with the world, but I have just moved on.

What I drive now has it's own characteristic sounds. At first, compared to the orchestra of an internal combustion engine the electric drivetrain seems quiet, but like going from the city to the forest, you tune into the sounds of the new environment and you begin to love the music note of the e-motor.

And many will say that actually being able to hear the sounds of your wheels on the road make you a better driver.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

How so? Honestly curious.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

A very large portion of my driving is on the freeway, usually with cruise on. To be honest, I don't find the cabin sound level much different than my old Cadillac CTS. Where it's noticeable is when I accelerate on a ramp or to pass... in my old cars, that's when you'd hear the exhaust note but in the Model S the ambient sound level doesn't change.

8. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

I had the supercharged C32 and E55 AMG, BMW 550i, Infiniti M45, Lexus GS430, don't miss them at all....

9. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Echo that! Noise pollution from those loud, obnoxious V8s and mods is almost as bad as their flatulence out back.

10. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I love the sounds of ICEs but I dont miss them one bit. I was a tuner growing up and loved the sounds of turbocharged and supercharged engines. Blowoff valves and wastegate noises I felt defined me. Now I really love the silence of the model s.

Full disclosure: I have my sport bikes to still get the enjoyment of ICEs.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

11. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

ICE cars are for the museum.

If your garage is to be a museum - go ahead.

12. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

They sound fine as I pull away. I prefer to hear the resistance whine, air and tire friction sounds. Much more gratifying IMHO ;-)

13. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Maybe I am getting old, but do not miss any of that. My question to you is have you driven the Model S? I have owned many very nice cars both foreign and domestic with big engines, do not miss them in anyway. There is so much to like about the MS, it has been said many times on this forum. I grew up working on the big American metal with my dad who owned a full service garage in the 50's and 60's. My career was in the automotive field so have driven almost every thing out there. Having said that, I would not compare the attributes of the Model S to a corvette or any other sports car. If that is what you want, then you are missing the point of owning a Tesla. I hope this helps you in your decision.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Every time I hear a loud engine, I am reminded that the energy going into the noise is not going into propulsion.
    I am reminded my exhaust is adding to particulate pollution, and when combined with lots of other cars emitting the same, it actually reaches levels that can harm others.

It is fun and Cars and Coffee. There are a lot of fun and cool cars there. But it is also very interesting watching even the most dedicated Gearhead's annoyance at having to pause mid sentence as some loud V-8 or more likely V-12 rumbles by.

15. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

The Trek is my favorite.

I have a Porsche Panamera Turbo. And a Model S. Both have their place in my world. The MS is great for traffic snarls and the PPT is great for 80 mph dashes on the freeway over 250 miles. And finally, I have a 27 speed Trek, great for going to work and back. Each one is a tool with defined use based upon the situation. I love them all. The Trek is my favorite.

16. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I used to love roaring engines, and really thought I would miss it when I went electric.

But it turns out it's largely a brain association between noise and the power you feel. Drive just an electric for a few weeks, and you get used to the silence. I find loud engines annoying now.

People that drive both can no doubt keep their appreciation for the noise.

17. Tommy

Tommy Member

#17 Tommy, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    I've heard that hearing the sound of your own wheels can drive you crazy. So slow down and take it easy.:wink:

18. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

I don't miss it in my daily commute.

I do use my V8 with race exhaust for my weekend stunts in the mountains. Tried the S and it just wasn't the same.

Skyline, Pescadero, hwy9, etc are best driven spirited in a V8 or v12 with brunch at Alice's. :)
    yhahe7y9.jpg

19. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I really thought I would, but I don't miss it. I do appreciate the sound of a well tuned engine still as I drive around, but 95% of the cars just sound like nasty noisy things.

20. antochat

antochat Pearl White P85

Drove my RS4 for the first time in weeks. The sound is lovely when you're in the right mood, but it felt ancient in many ways, and although the 0-60 is .02 faster in the MS the Audi felt much slower. I do miss the handling though, quite a bit.