Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do You Miss Your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was it a newer MS? Did it have an all black dash or a two tone dash? I'm not a big fan of the M3 dash and the protruding touch screen, but I think I like it better than the MS dashes with tan, cream, or gray interiors. I also don't like the MS interiors with the lighter wood trims.

I can't remember if it was a two-tone dash but it was a 2017 build.

I miss some things on the model s that arent features on the model 3 (85d vs 3p-) . Heated steering wheel, hatch for cargo room, ap stalk, windshield wiper stalk, steering wheel scroll (adjust ac/fan speed), air suspension to name a few. The model S also had the jump seats for emergencies where we had nieces/nephews stay over or go with us somewhere quick.

Overall I'm happier with the 3p- as it's cheaper, more range, faster, tighter handling.. basically better commuter car vs touring car. Kinda like 5/E series vs 3/C series BMW/MB.

I do not miss the door handles of the S like another poster stated above. I went through 5 of them , the last one (out of warranty) I did myself for under $3bucks and ~2 hours vs $9xx for Tesla to do it. The new(er) piece looks much more robust so should be fine.

Last edited:
I bought Wifey a new Model S 75D in April. I bought myself a new Model 3 AWD LR in May, but by day 4 I felt that I really wanted a Model S instead, and returned the Model 3 on Day 5. In June I picked up my new Model S 100D, and I've not regretted the decision. Well, not much. So we have twin Model S's in the family, and it's been perfect, truly amazing cars. We enjoy the luxury ride, the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel, it just feels like a better car than the 3 (and I guess, for almost twice the price it better be).

While they are both great cars, the serve two different owners.

S is classy and a fantastic long distance quiet cruiser. Hatch back design holds a ton more than the trunk of the 3.

3 is nimble and quick. Great for darting around and parking in smaller spots.

Each buyer should determine which car is better...for them.

PS. X holds the most, easiest to get in and out of, and tows 5,000 lbs. Least efficient and largest in the fleet. Best for large dogs and camping.

I own a 2017 Model S 75, gave that to my wife and bought a 2018 Model 3 Performance. They are two very different cars, so i get the opinions out there on them. I like the quickness of the 3, the better handling, and the extended range. But when I get in the S, it feels so much more like a luxury car. I think if I had to choose, I’d probably stick with the 3, mostly due to range, but the S is a very, very nice car.

My Raven X LR AWD has more range than my AWD 3.

And if I did get the Performance X, it's a heck of lot quicker than a Performance 3. You need to compare apples to apples. Of course a Performance 3 will be faster than a Non Performance X. A Performance 3 is faster than a Non Performance 3 too.

And someone commented the Audio System is better in the 3. Sorry, it is not better than the current S/X (possibly was on older S/X systems). I was really worried about that, because the 3 is very good, don't get me wrong. But I'm happy to say, X is definitely a notch up over the 3. And if you add in the lower noise floor in the X, it's two notches up. You don't have to blast it as loud to cover up the road noise on the 3.

The now Standard (fully loaded X or S) is one heck of Vehicle, with like a dozen or more options the 3 doesn't even offer.

As far a HEPA Bio-Weapon thing goes, it's not a big deal to me (yet) but there is a 3rd party selling something to increase the filtration, but I think just a filter is not going to cut it.

Yes, the 3 is more nimble and more efficient, that is about all it does better.

While they are both great cars, the serve two different owners.

S is classy and a fantastic long distance quiet cruiser. Hatch back design holds a ton more than the trunk of the 3.

3 is nimble and quick. Great for darting around and parking in smaller spots.

Each buyer should determine which car is better...for them.

PS. X holds the most, easiest to get in and out of, and tows 5,000 lbs. Least efficient and largest in the fleet. Best for large dogs and camping.

Agreed. Except All the Performance Tesla's are "Quick" and the Model 3 is the slowest of the bunch.

Model 3 is quickest / dollar.

Also the Model 3 (Performance) can handle a "Track" where the S/X cannot. I'm not talking about the drag strip type track.

Perhaps one of the biggest things differentiating the 3 from the Raven S and X is the fantastic new adaptive suspension system. This system can switch from comfort or handling with a switch. Just a quick turn of the steering wheel will also firm up the shocks to reduce sway and increase control. It is really quite amazing.

Really knocks the sound levels down and muffles all the road noises. Sounds more like a Rolls Royce with only muffled sounds getting through. Road imperfections do not filter throught the steering wheel. Like riding on fresh, new pavement. Handling mode gives you that feeling back again.

If you want to scurry around, get the 3. If you want to cruise around, the S/X might be the choice.

For track use the 3 is the champ, until the Model S gets Plaid and of course the New Coupe will be the master of the circuits.

Perhaps one of the biggest things differentiating the 3 from the Raven S and X is the fantastic new adaptive suspension system. This system can switch from comfort or handling with a switch. Just a quick turn of the steering wheel will also firm up the shocks to reduce sway and increase control. It is really quite amazing.

Really knocks the sound levels down and muffles all the road noises. Sounds more like a Rolls Royce with only muffled sounds getting through. Road imperfections do not filter throught the steering wheel. Like riding on fresh, new pavement. Handling mode gives you that feeling back again.

If you want to scurry around, get the 3. If you want to cruise around, the S/X might be the choice.

For track use the 3 is the champ, until the Model S gets Plaid and of course the New Coupe will be the master of the circuits.

What's really cool is the suspension can dynamically adjust to the conditions !!

I mean there is a reason that the 3 is a much cheaper car, but for what it is, it's amazing that it stands up to the S so well.

My S was not a new post-facelift one so my 3 brings a lot of quality of life and technological improvements that I didn't have. It makes it a no-brainier for me that my 3 was an upgrade. That said, the S had a smooth luxurious feel to the driving. Even though mine was less powerful (just a RWD compared to my AWD M3), it was a dream to drive.

The biggest differentiator for me right now is size. I live in a big city, my house is in a neighborhood with steep hills and narrow streets. My driveway and garage are very narrow. The S was like trying to drive a boat around town sometimes. I just needed a smaller car plain and simple, and the 3 fits the bill while still being an incredible car.

Yeah there's no question in my mind that the Raven S is a much better car than the three. The problem is I wouldn't have bought an $80,000 car if the M3 was available. As far as acceleration goes I already go faster than I probably should. I don't really need any extra temptation.

I made that mistake when I bought the Model 3 because it was available. I ended up fixing it a year later. In the long run I think I saved money though with the Price Drops on S/X and enhancements in the Raven. So no regrets I bought the Model 3 first. I got to experience both first hand too.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.