Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you need conduit for in wall 4-awg thhn?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to install the wall charger soon and i'm planning on getting these (10' black and 10' red + 8gauge copper wire). Is it code to have those 3 wires inside a conduit which will be behind dry wall?
Well yes. You have to choose one or the other. It's not allowed to just put straight THHN or bare copper loose inside a wall. You have to either go with the NM-B cable, or you have to use conduit to put the individual wires in.

Freaking Chicago area is ridiculous. They just have a full-stop prohibition on using NM-B cable at all. Period. Absolutely everything must use full conduit everywhere, which is kind of dumb if you're just needing to put something straight down through a wall--that's what Romex is for.

Well yes. You have to choose one or the other. It's not allowed to just put straight THHN or bare copper loose inside a wall. You have to either go with the NM-B cable, or you have to use conduit to put the individual wires in.

Freaking Chicago area is ridiculous. They just have a full-stop prohibition on using NM-B cable at all. Period. Absolutely everything must use full conduit everywhere, which is kind of dumb if you're just needing to put something straight down through a wall--that's what Romex is for.
I think municipalities other than Chicago do not allow Romex wire runs as well. I know that NYC requires conduit.

6awg is only rated up to 55a
You're making it confusing by not fully specifying what you're talking about.
The topic of this thread is talking about separate wires in conduit, like THHN type. For that, the 6 awg wire gets to use the 75 degree C temperature rating, which is 65A, not 55A.

AWG6 same issue with 55a limit
You seem to be responding to the last item #4 in @Gauss Guzzler 's comment, when he then switches to suggesting 6 awg of the NM-B cable, known as Romex. Yes, that one does have the 55A limit, because it has to use the 60 degree C temperature rating. But's why he immediately specified only using that with a 40A charge limit on a 50A circuit, so it's still code compliant.

You're making it confusing by not fully specifying what you're talking about.
The topic of this thread is talking about separate wires in conduit, like THHN type. For that, the 6 awg wire gets to use the 75 degree C temperature rating, which is 65A, not 55A.

You seem to be responding to the last item #4 in @Gauss Guzzler 's comment, when he then switches to suggesting 6 awg of the NM-B cable, known as Romex. Yes, that one does have the 55A limit, because it has to use the 60 degree C temperature rating. But's why he immediately specified only using that with a 40A charge limit on a 50A circuit, so it's still code compliant.
Describes my setup exactly. 6/3 NM-B (Romex) connected to 50 amp breaker. Wall connector is set to 50 amp circuit which automatically selects 40amp max current.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Reactions: davewill
This thread is extremely confusing. To answer the OP directly without all these "other choice" options, you need the following:

2x - 6 gauge THHN wire, whatever length you need
1x - 10 gauge THHN wire, whatever length you need
1x - conduit, whatever length you need

Done. See links below as well:

Ok thanks, that's exactly what i needed

Reactions: Jeremy3292
This thread is extremely confusing. To answer the OP directly without all these "other choice" options, you need the following:

2x - 6 gauge THHN wire, whatever length you need
1x - 10 gauge THHN wire, whatever length you need
1x - conduit, whatever length you need

Done. See links below as well:

I agree we need inwall and outwall conduits. But Do we need conduit while running these wires in Attic?

Maybe there was some problem with nails cutting Romex or fire issues?

What about using BX wires instead of Romex, and use conduits when visible, as it is fifficult to keep BX to stay in a straight line?