Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you need Premium connectivity for remote access?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My premium connectivity trial runs out in 2 days and I didn’t have any intention in renewing (will just use my phone as a hotspot) but then I thought… will I lose the remote access/monitoring via the phone without premium connectivity?

I know it should work when at home as the car is connected to my home WiFi, but what about when out and about?

Thanks!

When you put the car in drive it disconnects wifi, you can re-connect after though. I think they do it like this to make it just awkward enough to make you subscribe

With mobile phone etc there are issues when the distance from the house is too long for WiFi to work, but the phone can still see the WiFi so does not switch to 4g. I expect they are trying to advoid these.

When you put the car in drive it disconnects wifi, you can re-connect after though. I think they do it like this to make it just awkward enough to make you subscribe
Yes, this is incredibly annoying... however, I'm going to try and stick with using my phone as a hotspot for a couple of reasons:

1. I can actually access UK content as premium connectivity always thinks I'm in the Netherlands (due to Tesla's selected partner)
2. Audio via Bluetooth sounds far superior to the built-in Spotify, which I'm sure is using a lower sample rate. Honestly, it took the SR+ audio from "adequate" to "pretty darn good"!

Tesla certainly don;t make it easy though... the aforementioned disconnecting from WIFI when you put the car into drive, and the fact that you can't search your phone music from the touchscreen (it defaults to searching Spotify so it can remind you that you don't have premium connectivity :rolleyes:)

Reactions: cryo and rjpjnk
Yes, this is incredibly annoying... however, I'm going to try and stick with using my phone as a hotspot for a couple of reasons:

1. I can actually access UK content as premium connectivity always thinks I'm in the Netherlands (due to Tesla's selected partner)
2. Audio via Bluetooth sounds far superior to the built-in Spotify, which I'm sure is using a lower sample rate. Honestly, it took the SR+ audio from "adequate" to "pretty darn good"!

Tesla certainly don;t make it easy though... the aforementioned disconnecting from WIFI when you put the car into drive, and the fact that you can't search your phone music from the touchscreen (it defaults to searching Spotify so it can remind you that you don't have premium connectivity :rolleyes:)
As mentioned above the new update keeps wifi when put in drive, i'm looking forward to using the premium audio, the SR+ is very good but does lack bass due to no subwoofer

Ok, this is driving me batty... I get that as soon as you put the car into D, it turns Wifi off, and you have to manually click on the LTE icon and turn Wifi On (and I also know this will be updated in the next software update as pointed out above)... but here's the issue...

Even though I have successfully connected to my mobile hotspot, and my M3 remembers the password etc, it refuses to list the mobile hotspot under Wifi until I actually go into my iPhone: Settings > Personal Hotspot. I don't even do anything on that screen as it's always toggled ON, but until I ooen that screen on my phone, the car won't detect or even list the mobile hotspot. 😕

Once I go into my phone and into that screen, then within 5 seconds it automatically connects. Is this really the standard behaviour? I don't mind having to click on LTE and turn WiFi on every time, but having to fiddle about on the phone too just adds another unnecessary step. (Other devices that normally connect to my hotspot just work and list the hotspot for connection, this is unique to the M3)

Ok, this is driving me batty... I get that as soon as you put the car into D, it turns Wifi off, and you have to manually click on the LTE icon and turn Wifi On (and I also know this will be updated in the next software update as pointed out above)... but here's the issue...

Even though I have successfully connected to my mobile hotspot, and my M3 remembers the password etc, it refuses to list the mobile hotspot under Wifi until I actually go into my iPhone: Settings > Personal Hotspot. I don't even do anything on that screen as it's always toggled ON, but until I ooen that screen on my phone, the car won't detect or even list the mobile hotspot. 😕

Once I go into my phone and into that screen, then within 5 seconds it automatically connects. Is this really the standard behaviour? I don't mind having to click on LTE and turn WiFi on every time, but having to fiddle about on the phone too just adds another unnecessary step. (Other devices that normally connect to my hotspot just work and list the hotspot for connection, this is unique to the M3)
That's probably an iPhone thing. If your phone is connected to your home Wifi still it won't advertise as a hotspot. When you go to the screen for the personal hotspot it disconnected from home wifi and starts being a hotspot. You can see the icons change at the top of the screen.

There's not much of a solution, unless Apple include dual Wifi stacks in the phone.

As @GRiLLA points out, this is actually a security feature from Apple.

Reactions: hcdavis3 and JS77
My premium connectivity trial runs out in 2 days and I didn’t have any intention in renewing (will just use my phone as a hotspot) but then I thought… will I lose the remote access/monitoring via the phone without premium connectivity?

I know it should work when at home as the car is connected to my home WiFi, but what about when out and about?

Thanks!

Another major concern is that all the apps that Tesla owners purchase to monitor their Teslas may no longer work if we don’t have premium connectivity ?! Apps like STATS, Watch for Tesla, TeslaFi, Tezlab…..all become useless unless you are at home hooked up to Wi-Fi?!

anyone or any developer know if this will be the case?

Another major concern is that all the apps that Tesla owners purchase to monitor their Teslas may no longer work if we don’t have premium connectivity ?! Apps like STATS, Watch for Tesla, TeslaFi, Tezlab…..all become useless unless you are at home hooked up to Wi-Fi?!

anyone or any developer know if this will be the case?

Premium connectivity only affects the in-car infotainment system features. So apps continue to work as normal without premium connectivity.