Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you not like the front, namely the headlights? Found a potential solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never been a fan of the front end of the Model 3. Didn't like it when it was revealed and unfortunately, it never grew on me. From the side and rear, I think the car looks amazing. Basically just a smaller version of the Model S.

The front though, for me, of course my own personal taste.......I won't get graphic and say what I really think, instead just say, it's not my taste. But, then again, I prefer the old Model S with the nose cone over the new version.

The Model 3 though, without anything to break it up, really makes the front look small and narrow to me. Finally realized it's the headlights that I really don't like. The daytime running lamp portion sitting on top of the fender. I think I would really like them if that part wasn't there and it was just part of the fender instead, leaving only the lower and side portion of the light. With so much headlight on top, going toward the rear, just makes it look narrower. The model S & X headlights are low and wide whereas this are much taller. Tall on skinny, really makes it look skinny. Wide on skinny helps give a wider appearance at least. With the daytime running lamp portion being so white, it really accentuates them. Might not be so bad if they had the deeper look the rest of the headlight does?

For my personal taste, solution in the photo definitely helps hide the parts I don't like. Seems to widen up the front end and looks more proportionate. I don't hate the front now (still don't like the flat face of the bumper). Of course they're 100% illegal. Wonder if anyone has tried putting a vinyl, paint matching wrap on just the top portion daylight lamp portion of the headlights? I suck at photoshop, but would be interesting to see.

Still debating on making a Model 3 my daily driver. So forgive me. Just sharing my thoughts and seeing how others feel. I love the practicality of the smaller size vs the S. But have to also enjoy looking at what I get into every day.
Smoked Headlights.jpg

Interesting. I find the rear of Model 3 more sharp than Model S.

I love the front fascia of Model S much more than Model 3 front fascia. At night the light on Model S looks like eyelash of the supermodel. Well, for Model 3, it is Model 3. The front fascia of the Model 3 with smaller width and higher height make it look cuter, however.

I've never been a fan of the front end of the Model 3. Didn't like it when it was revealed and unfortunately, it never grew on me. From the side and rear, I think the car looks amazing. Basically just a smaller version of the Model S.

The front though, for me, of course my own personal taste.......I won't get graphic and say what I really think, instead just say, it's not my taste. But, then again, I prefer the old Model S with the nose cone over the new version.

The Model 3 though, without anything to break it up, really makes the front look small and narrow to me. Finally realized it's the headlights that I really don't like. The daytime running lamp portion sitting on top of the fender. I think I would really like them if that part wasn't there and it was just part of the fender instead, leaving only the lower and side portion of the light. With so much headlight on top, going toward the rear, just makes it look narrower. The model S & X headlights are low and wide whereas this are much taller. Tall on skinny, really makes it look skinny. Wide on skinny helps give a wider appearance at least. With the daytime running lamp portion being so white, it really accentuates them. Might not be so bad if they had the deeper look the rest of the headlight does?

For my personal taste, solution in the photo definitely helps hide the parts I don't like. Seems to widen up the front end and looks more proportionate. I don't hate the front now (still don't like the flat face of the bumper). Of course they're 100% illegal. Wonder if anyone has tried putting a vinyl, paint matching wrap on just the top portion daylight lamp portion of the headlights? I suck at photoshop, but would be interesting to see.

Still debating on making a Model 3 my daily driver. So forgive me. Just sharing my thoughts and seeing how others feel. I love the practicality of the smaller size vs the S. But have to also enjoy looking at what I get into every day.
View attachment 350478

Agree that the car in the photo at that angle looks very nice. Also agree that head on, the Model 3 front can look narrow... at least for my red 3 under some lighting conditions.

I’m not sure how much some mod to the headlight housing would help this. I think Tesla made some out of the mainstream design choices re the proportions & positioning of the hood, windshield, & roof for aero & interior space gains that look a little out of the mainstream from some angles. There’s also your point re what’s legal (and, of course, what’s safe). Not trying to pooh-pooh your idea, if you’re onto something safe & legal that can put those proportions in a more flattering light, I’d be happy to see what you’ve got.

fwiw, I’m not a big fan of the DRL either- not the shape or the strong contrast in brightness even when they’re not on. they’ve grown on me some though.

View attachment 350478

I love the front. It's distinctive and practical. Certainly I have a soft spot for the archaic front ends of old but I realize their days are numbered and have become purely skeuomorphic. Simply a matter of generational taste at that point.

View attachment 350478

I agree that there is room for improvement in the front fascia design... the aftermarket has a Porsche inspired solution :cool:

Ascension Front Fascia System for Tesla Model 3

Unplugged-Performance-Ascension-Front-Fascia-for-Tesla-Model-3-029.jpg

Reactions: Nocturnal
The tint on the headlights is certainly not legal. But don't the headlights come on automatically during the day anyway. So are the DRL's really needed? Wondering if just tinting over the extreme white portion of the headlight, leaving the actual headlight clear?

I think the tint helps make it look better primarily because it hides the extreme white of the DRL. So if just that portion were covered in tint, would still retain the original look, but without that bright white staring at you and possibly give the appearance of being a lower, wider headlight? Again, i suck at photoshop. In my head it would look better. Whether it actually does in reality can be an entirely different thing.

teslamodel3rear-marked.0.jpg

2013-Porsche-911-Carrera-4S-rear-view.jpg

I really like the car overall, and the controversial front end. The back however I find boring. I find the headlights, although they flow with the trunk lines, give a strange look as they are not straight. I also prefer narrow tai lights like most of Porsches recent designs. The thick tai lights just seem disproportionate. And inelegant. Overall, however big thumbs up.

I like the front more than the rear.