Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you occasionally charge to 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I set my charging max to 80% like a lot of people do, but I’m wondering how many of you crank it up to 90% or even 100% for the occasional longer trip. Has there been any data that talks about this being potentially harmful to the battery?

There is more data than you could ever want, in the dedicated thread about battery health, which you can find here:

Search for posts in that thread by @AAKEE and you will find more data than you could want on this topic.

Hi everyone,

I set my charging max to 80% like a lot of people do, but I’m wondering how many of you crank it up to 90% or even 100% for the occasional longer trip. Has there been any data that talks about this being potentially harmful to the battery?

Charging to 100% just means you use 2 cycles as opposed to 1 cycle on a full discharge as opposed to 90% ( or better said 90% offers twice as much cycle life as 100%)But the effect diminshes with shallower discharges and most people dont do that anyway. I. E. You stsrt with 100% and then charge at 5% which is essentially just a 90% cycle anyway
So its fairly irrelevant. As far as storage is concerned 100% is still better than 80%.

Charging to 100% just means you use 2 cycles as opposed to 1 cycle on a full discharge as opposed to 90%. But the effect diminshes with shallower discharges and most people dont do that anyway. I. E. You stsrt with 100% and then charge at 5% which is essentially just a 90% cycle anyway
So its fairly irrelevant. As far as storage is concerned 100% is still better than 80%.
lolwut?

I charge to 100% whenever the range is needed. I have No worries about that.
I have averaged about once a month since the car was new.

100% cycles wear more than lower SOC targets.
Continously charging to 100% will shorten the cycle life to about half compared to 80%.
For a trip that need 100% there is nothing wrong in using that.

Its not recommended to charge above 90% on a daily basis when that range is not needed.

I stay below 55% SOC any time I do not need the range as I know calendar aging is the main battery degrador during the first years of a battery life.

My batterys degradation is lower than other M3P 21, so the low SOC approach work.

Pretty much we go anywhere between 50 and 95 depending on the upcoming couple of days, and 100 when we are planning on leaving the next morning on a trip.

We don’t “need” 80 on a daily basis, so we just bounce it around depending on a mood. Some days 50, some 75, etc. All for no real real reason except to allow the BMS to get some sleep time at different states…which may or may not ever matter. But it makes a fun game.

There is more data than you could ever want, in the dedicated thread about battery health, which you can find here:

Search for posts in that thread by @AAKEE and you will find more data than you could want on this topic.
Is there a TL;DR somewhere for the “more data than you could ever want” in that thread?

My usual top limit is 90%. I either get there using a CHAdeMO adapter at a ChargePoint station or a Supercharger. Rarely do I stop at less than 90%, doing so only if the SC station is being heavily used - favorite place is 72kW Urban chargers. Around town I recharge around 45-50%. On trips I get down to 25-30% before stopping to charge. I only charge to 100% just prior to a long trip. Car is four years old with 25K miles and 100% range of 298 miles. Been charging this way for 3 years.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Is there a TL;DR somewhere for the “more data than you could ever want” in that thread?

Search for posts by @AAKEE and look for thumbnails with charts in them. @AAKEE has posted the same charts, with the same explanation, dozens and dozens of times in an effort to explain (and re explain, and re re explain, and re re re re re re re re re explain) the information they have researched on this, with the patience of a saint.

Reactions: AAKEE