Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you occasionally charge to 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honest think people put too much emphasis on the daily %. For me personally I charge 80-90% depending on the mood BUT I charge to 100% several times a month. I don't leave it at 100% for long though.

In fact, I charge to 100% 4 times in the last week and it has actually boosted my max range.

My original battery capacity was 499 km and it was back down to 450km before coming back to 470km. For the Americans, my range is now 292 miles after 93,000 miles. It was rated 310 miles when brand new.

Attachments

• 294584431_2158727754332698_3839700676291558257_n.jpg
    294584431_2158727754332698_3839700676291558257_n.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 97
I honest think people put too much emphasis on the daily %. For me personally I charge 80-90% depending on the mood BUT I charge to 100% several times a month. I don't leave it at 100% for long though.

In fact, I charge to 100% 4 times in the last week and it has actually boosted my max range.

My original battery capacity was 499 km and it was back down to 450km before coming back to 470km. For the Americans, my range is now 292 miles after 93,000 miles. It was rated 310 miles when brand new.

Charging to 100% didn't boost your actual max range..... It just allowed the BMS to recalibrate itself to the actual capacity of the battery.

Hi everyone,

I set my charging max to 80% like a lot of people do, but I’m wondering how many of you crank it up to 90% or even 100% for the occasional longer trip. Has there been any data that talks about this being potentially harmful to the battery?
When I got my 3, it was Winter in Maine, so I set it to 90%. As soon as Spring hit, I turned it down to 80%, but by Summer, I had read some battery threads, and decided to experiment and since my commute was only 30 miles, I turned my daily limit to 60%. It's only one datapoint, but my battery has done great, as my avatar shows.

If I go on a trip, I used to set it back up to 80%, but I realized there was minimal practical difference, as my first supercharger stop was the same location, and it only added a few minutes to my first charge. Pretty meaningless in a long trip, so I stopped upping my charge level, pre-trip.

On a super long trip, like last Summer when I drove 4400 miles to Colorado and back from the East, the highest I had to charge to, according to ABRP, was 82%. The average was supercharging up to 66%, before heading off to the next stop.

I suppose if you have a trip that you may be able to do without supercharging, if you up your charge to 90 or 100, but I have no interest in stressing and trying to stretch my range by going slower. Driving faster and stopping for a short few minutes to add enough to get home is less stressful and faster. I'm not going to overthink it.

I haven't raised my overnight charge limit to 80 or above in a couple years, and no cell imbalance issues, I can see. SMT shows a max imbalance of 6mv. Not sure if that's a lot or little, but it seems pretty normal to me.

Reactions: house9 and Regaj
i charge max 90% overnight
and then on trips i do up to 95%

never went to 100%, never had to.

i'm not worried about battery life, i'm not keeping this thing more than 3.5 years max anyway

i can understand why those of you who plan on keeping the car for 10 years would worry about this though.

I'm in the 95% max group. Based on my observations, you actual get very little out of the extra 5% difference since you leave zero room for regen: unless you live right next to the highway onramp and expect zero need for regen in the very first part of the trip, I really don't see much gained.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
I have a ~150 Mile round trip commute each day. I have been charging to 90% as my daily limit since I got my 2020 M3LR (nearly 2 months ago). Doing some rough calculations my SOC equated to roughly 30 miles per 10% battery. So my 90% SOC gets me 268-270 miles read out depending what the car wants to display. my personal plan, and I know this doesn't work for everyone, is to continue doing this and doing a 100% charge once every 6 weeks until winter time and giving the battery a good run down to calibrate itself. It's also been very hot in the NY/NJ area this summer so it's not helping much. After I se how my winter range is going to be with my commute I will likely go to an 80-85% daily SOC in spring of next year.

I have a ~150 Mile round trip commute each day. I have been charging to 90% as my daily limit since I got my 2020 M3LR (nearly 2 months ago). Doing some rough calculations my SOC equated to roughly 30 miles per 10% battery. So my 90% SOC gets me 268-270 miles read out depending what the car wants to display. my personal plan, and I know this doesn't work for everyone, is to continue doing this and doing a 100% charge once every 6 weeks until winter time and giving the battery a good run down to calibrate itself. It's also been very hot in the NY/NJ area this summer so it's not helping much. After I se how my winter range is going to be with my commute I will likely go to an 80-85% daily SOC in spring of next year.
We have a ’21 M3P doing long range commuting in a Swedish forum.

He charges daily to 90% and arrives home with some 10%.
So far he has 90.000km and a 90% charge indicates full range = 465km. Thats about 74kWh left of the battery which often starts at 79.5-80.5kWh. He has about 7.5% degradation( calculating from 80kWh) and actually that is not far away from other M3P’s that had done far less miles.
This car sleeps the night with low SOC until the charging need to be started to have 90% just before the drive.

We have a ’21 M3P doing long range commuting in a Swedish forum.

He charges daily to 90% and arrives home with some 10%.
So far he has 90.000km and a 90% charge indicates full range = 465km. Thats about 74kWh left of the battery which often starts at 79.5-80.5kWh. He has about 7.5% degradation( calculating from 80kWh) and actually that is not far away from other M3P’s that had done far less miles.
This car sleeps the night with low SOC until the charging need to be started to have 90% just before the drive.
MY only concern is even with my commute being that 150 mile range, it's 50% of my battery no matter what I do. unfortunately i can only make 3 trips before needing to charge and would rather charge at home where it's cheaper. Hoping my office building puts in a few EV chargers for employee use. We have 4-5 various EV's already in the lot so the growth is there

Is there a TL;DR somewhere for the “more data than you could ever want” in that thread?
Yes: set the charge limit much lower than most people typically do, particularly when it's hot.

If you can succeed with 50%, then do that. If you can recharge frequently, then do that. But don't worry about occasional diversions from this, as it's what you do most days that matters.

Reactions: AAKEE
We charge both of our M3s to 90%. With the amount of driving we do, we are able to charge at most twice a week each vehicle. My wife uses the LR as her daily driver and has a 25-30 mile round trip commute to work. I work from home so my SR+ is used only when I need to go somewhere.