Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you plan to pay for your TM3 with Bitcoins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uhhh it most certainly IS taxed, how do you figure 0%? I actually sold some BTC to purchase my Model 3 and got super lucky selling in December before the drop, but then had to pay short-term gains which was kinda painful.

He explained why his long-term capital gains are 0: Because his marginal tax rate is only 15%. I.e. he doesn't make enough money to have to pay taxes on long-term capital gains. (Short-term capital gains are a different category and are governed by different rules.)

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Uhhh it most certainly IS taxed, how do you figure 0%? I actually sold some BTC to purchase my Model 3 and got super lucky selling in December before the drop, but then had to pay short-term gains which was kinda painful.

I posted detailed reasons why above but if you need a TL;DR here it is:
capgainsratesnip.PNG

Now you know my AGI is between $18,651 and $75,900 and I owned my bitcoin for several years.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: pilotSteve and Troy
Seems like noone is interested. Now try it with Bitcoin. I will sell you TM3 for 1,000,000 bitcoins. Seems like Bitcoin has some real value afterall :)

Seems like my monopoly money joke failed to hit home with the cryptocurrencies. I don't understand why bitcoin is so hard to understand for some people. It's basically small fragments of actual coins yes? bits of coin.... bitcoin. Simple.

Seems like my monopoly money joke failed to hit home with the cryptocurrencies. I don't understand why bitcoin is so hard to understand for some people. It's basically small fragments of actual coins yes? bits of coin.... bitcoin. Simple.
I dont get what you are trying to say here at all. Bitcoin is not fragment or anything its just a name for an internet protocol.

Seems like noone is interested. Now try it with Bitcoin. I will sell you TM3 for 1,000,000 bitcoins. Seems like Bitcoin has some real value afterall :)

Bitcoin has value as long as people are willing to give something of value for it. I would sell you my Model 3 for far less than a million Bitcoin. But I would sell them immediately and I would be extremely careful how I did it. Bitcoin has value, but it has no protections for a person who hands over Bitcoins in return for something else. IOW, when you buy something with Bitcoins, if the seller doesn't come through, or the thing you bought turns out to be a cheap imitation, you have no recourse. Your Bitcoins are gone and there's no way to get them back.

When I buy something with my credit card, if the product is not as advertised, the bank can reverse the charge and I get my money back.

Monopoly money has no value because nobody is willing to give anything for it. Worse yet, the Monopoly get-out-of-jail-free card is no good either. :(

I dont get what you are trying to say here at all. Bitcoin is not fragment or anything its just a name for an internet protocol.
What I’m saying is that if you take a coin, and a really really big hammer, hit it a few times.... then take those little pieces.... the tiny bits of the coin. The bitcoins as it were, save them up and ta da! Money money money! It’s genius. Mark me down for 20 of these fantastic coin bits.

I totally understand bitcoin now, yay.

• Funny
Reactions: daniel
Unfortunately, if you're single and have a mortgage there are very few instances where it would be financially responsible to buy a Model 3 if you qualify for 0% long-term capital gains taxes.

Are you aiming that at me? If so you must have missed the screenshot above in post #63.

edit: wow just looked at the single chart, yeah, I'd agree that someone in the 15% tax bracket filing single shouldn't be buying a new car of any kind. They should buy used.

capgainsratesnip2.PNG

capgainsratesnip.PNG

Fun fact - Bitcoin was ~$420 back on April 1 2016 when we all put down $1K for a Model 3.

If, instead, you had put that money in Bitcoin and then sold in December-ish of 2017, you could have made over $35K which buys you a Model 3 - but 2 years later and without the tax rebate :D

I would be very surprised if Bitcoin breaks $25K this year and only a low chance of reaching the previous high as well. There needs to be quite a bit more work done to scale Bitcoin to allow faster, cheaper and more plentiful transactions before it can justify such a price.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Yes, I keep seeing these forecasts proclaiming moonage, but I'm yet to believe it after the December drop.
Lol. I had to laught. You are obviously new to the crypto world. Well, let me tell you. I have been to crypto since 2011. Bitcoin seen like DOZENS of dips like these. Honsestly this December dip is one of the weakest. We have seen 80%+ dips regularly. Eg. 13$ to 2$. 30$ to 3$$. 1200$ to 120$. So 20k$ to 10k$..... thats normal. We will be back to 20$ “in 3 months maybe, 6 months definately” and maybe even see 50k$ this year. Welcome to cryptos,bro!

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
Fun fact - Bitcoin was ~$420 back on April 1 2016 when we all put down $1K for a Model 3.

If, instead, you had put that money in Bitcoin and then sold in December-ish of 2017, you could have made over $35K which buys you a Model 3 - but 2 years later and without the tax rebate :D

I would be very surprised if Bitcoin breaks $25K this year and only a low chance of reaching the previous high as well. There needs to be quite a bit more work done to scale Bitcoin to allow faster, cheaper and more plentiful transactions before it can justify such a price.

Lol. Nice fun fact :) Thanks god I have plenty of BTC from 2011-2012. Anyway the lightning network is in works and already runing testnets, so not so much work has to be done for faster cheaper transactions. Never underestinate bitcoin. People hoped that bitcoin could reach 2k$ at 2017 ( was at 1k$ at the begining) and really nobody expeted it to hit 20k$ instead:) At 10k$ its a wet dream for me. Expected to hit 10k$ in 2030:D