TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do you plan to reserve a Model 3?

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by nwdiver, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
?

Do you plan to reserve a Model 3?

1. YES! can't wait to start driving electric!

71 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. YES! My current Tesla(s) need a friend.

91 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. YES! My other EV(s) are nice but a Tesla would be AWESOME!

20 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Hmmm.... Maybe....

36 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. No... I'm happy with my current Tesla.

25 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. No... I'll wait for a used or CPO car

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. No... not ready for electric yet...

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

But you could end up with getting VIN 100,000 if you don't reserve one early.

2. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Exactly - VIN100,000 in 2019.
    If that happened I would be in a CPO Model S for sure

3. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I think No... I'll wait for a used or CPO car covers that well enough. Think of it as No... I'll wait for a used or CPO car or a new one with a higher VIN.

4. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

I hope the M3 is a compelling car and I may be happy to get one. But after sitting on a Model X reservation for nearly 2 years I think I'm really not a "car reservation" kind of guy. I went through the Nissan reservation stuff too with LEAF in 2010/2011, and when they seemed intent on screwing that process up, I gave up and canceled. I waited another 9 months or so and was able to simply walk into a dealer and drive one home. I think that will be my approach from here on out -- i.e., I think I'd prefer to wait until they've made enough that people don't have to get on a waiting list.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It will depend on 1) The condition of the Leaf, and 2) what shape my finances are in. I won't be replacing my Model S with a Model 3 unless there is some terrible problem (which I don't anticipate).

6. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Tesla Model 3 To Be Unveiled On March 31st http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-debuts-march-31st-higher-options-cars-made-first/

7. djplong

djplong Member

So now the question is - do I head down to the Tesla store on 3/31 and it my deposit down in person before I see however much Elon is going to reveal, or do I sit until the following day and do it on line?

8. Bgarret

Bgarret Model 3 ownin' Michigan scofflaw

I will be at the NYC store at opening on the 31st...eyes wide open, willing to take the risk of being early in line.

9. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

Elon announced this morning the deposit would be only $1000. So why not?

10. DNAinaGoodWay

DNAinaGoodWay Member

Natick opens at 10. See you there.

11. timf

timf Active Member

With the deposit being only $1000 I can see a lot of people reserving one whether they need it or not just to save a spot in line. I will likely encourage friends and family members to reserve one, but I can't see reserving one for myself unless there's something compelling about it besides the starting price. My Model X won't even be delivered by then, and I see no reason I'd want to trade it in for a small sedan in less than 2 years.

12. Petra

Petra Member

Would I consider getting a Model 3? Of course. Will I reserve one? Absolutely not.

I have a rule of not getting in line for or buying a car that I haven't driven... plus, I'd rather wait a year or two for them to shake out any production/design issues. I may pick up a Model 3 toward the end of 2019, I may pick up a second Model S, I may get something completely different, or I may just keep our spare car as is rather than replacing it. There are too many unknowns at this point to bother speculating as to what the preferable option will be, so I'll just kick back and enjoy the 70D while I wait.

13. Sm4llz

Sm4llz Member

Where's the option that says, "Yes, because I want to make a profit reselling it."?

14. djplong

djplong Member

Yep. After talking it over, my wife and I will be there. One of my colleagues at work might want me to pick him up on the way and another is thinking of making the trip himself. Natick is about an hour from my house and I hope I don't jinx things driving my 14 year old Camry there....