Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you plan to reserve a Model 3?

Do you plan to reserve a Model 3?

• YES! can't wait to start driving electric!

Votes: 71 28.3%
  • YES! My current Tesla(s) need a friend.

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • YES! My other EV(s) are nice but a Tesla would be AWESOME!

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Hmmm.... Maybe....

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • No... I'm happy with my current Tesla.

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • No... I'll wait for a used or CPO car

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • No... not ready for electric yet...

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming the there isn't something horrendous about the car, I'll reserve right away to have some hope of getting the tax credit. It would pretty much pay my tax bill for the year, so that's a big deal for me. If it looks like the tax credit will expire before I get the car, I'll probably cancel and wait for the bugs to get worked out and/or get a used one. (Assuming, of course, that my Prius lives that long and that I can somehow get the car serviced somewhere within an hour-ish drive that does not involve crossing an international border.)

I selected "No... not ready for electric yet..." to represent certainly the majority or car owner (may be 70%)
- who park their car in the street
, or
- in a garage but don't have a plug that they could use to charge at night, or also
- people who live in a separate home but have several cars because of their family need and could not plug all their cars because of capacity limitation,

I selected "No... not ready for electric yet..." to represent certainly the majority or car owner (may be 70%)
- who park their car in the street
, or
- in a garage but don't have a plug that they could use to charge at night, or also
- people who live in a separate home but have several cars because of their family need and could not plug all their cars because of capacity limitation,
For option two there - are there many garages that don't have a plug inside? I would suppose the vast majority have an unused 110V outlet to at least get 3-4mph charge.
Even then, the cost adding an L2 charger relatively small compared to the cost of the car.
That last one really highlights why extra range is so important. If your family has two or more EVs that have plenty of range, they don't all need plugging in at the same time, which means a single charge point is perfectly fine.
Having two EV's that both need charging every night is what kills it.
But if all of them are 200mile capable, then they could go for days without needing to be plugged in.

There will be a sweet spot for Model 3 between the early VIN (1-10,000?) working out the kinks and the too late missed out on the federal tax credit (VIN 50-75k?)
I'm hoping to get one in that range, but I would rather have an early VIN than miss the tax credit...

Absolutely signing up for one on launch day; our S needs a buddy. Timing would be perfect for a late-2017 delivery when our e-Golf's lease is up.

A bit less concerned about early build quality; trust Tesla to get it quite right this time around. At the much lower price point than the Model S, may look to churn the car more quickly anyway.

Getting the tax credit is paramount for me.

While I voted "My current Tesla(s) need a friend" it's actually a blend of that and "My other EV(s) are nice but a Tesla would be AWESOME!" We currently have and adore our Model S but decided to pass on the Model X because we don't actually need two large vehicles. Instead we opted to lease a BMW i3 as a stop-gap companion while waiting for the Model 3. Going all-EV has been a great step but we'd love to have two vehicles that actually operate along similar family lines instead of deriving from two radically different design philosophies.

I'm going to reserve mine as soon as possible. I have some concerns about build quality, but my current car is old, and I don't want to spend my hard-earned money on another ICE vehicle.

After numerous test drives of Model S and two extended drives of BMW i3 I'm sure I'm ready for EV

I wonder what will happen with the tax credit phase out if Tesla ships the Model 3 the same way they did the S and the X (Loaded models first, bases last?) Depending on how tight the 200,000 car window is once the Model 3 actually launches, I could see some unhappy people sitting on reservations watching Signature versions get delivered while their tax credit dwindles from 100% to 50% to 25% over the course of the year.

I was originally going to reserve at the reveal, but after lurking here and seeing how reservations may not be first come, first serve, I will probably wait to order until all the details and options pricing are revealed. Also, reading all the quirks the early cars had for the other models, I might even wait until I can test drive and see one in person giving me a much higher VIN. Since the tax credit timing is going to be so dicey, I am not going to account for that in my planning. If its still there, awesome. If not, oh well.

I voted "YES! My current Tesla(s) need a friend." Will likely replace wife's car with the M3 (as in, she'll get the S, and I'll get the new 3 ;)).

But it depends on... a lot of things for me
-Aesthetics (I love the looks of the Model S, not a huge fan of the Model X)
-Design (liftback vs. hatchback)
-Features (I want to be able to spec it out comparably to my current S)
-Level 3 highway Autonomous driving hardware (if the M3 doesn't have the hardware, I might wait... I'm OK with a delayed software rollout. But I don't want to buy the M3, and have the autonomous hardware come out in a year. I'd rather give up the tax credit and get a better car a year later)

I'm not an early adopter, I want my stuff working when I get it. So I'll most likely be putting down a deposit soon after release, but not in the first day.

Looking forward to the reveal of the car. If it's as good as Tesla says it will be, I will definitely put down a deposit on the reveal. Also hoping the deposit amount will be lower than the historical $5K requirement. Given it's a cheaper car, I'd expect the deposit amount to be a $2500.

Long time follower of Tesla. Time to start driving one!

I'll sign up, as long as the reservation is transferable without penalty, and I would encourage everyone else to play the lottery and to do the same.

Insofar as actually buying the car in 2018, yes, 2018, when they become available to more than founders and sig buyers (presuming there will be same), well, that's a tough call.

By then there will be, wait for it, a veritable plethora of Model S in all kinds of configurations available for the selfsame $35K-$40K or less, out the door - including my own.

I'll sign up, as long as the reservation is transferable without penalty, and I would encourage everyone else to play the lottery and to do the same.

Insofar as actually buying the car in 2018, yes, 2018, when they become available to more than founders and sig buyers (presuming there will be same), well, that's a tough call.

By then there will be, wait for it, a veritable plethora of Model S in all kinds of configurations available for the selfsame $35K-$40K or less, out the door - including my own.

not clear what you mean by transferable reservation, do you mean to another Tesla Model or changing who the car is for?

It's really hard to design polls. This one is missing "No... based on existing track record, I'd rather have a VIN > 10,000..."

Precisely, and I'd add, now that Tesla is in its adolescent period, I want to wait until it at least gets a little more seasoned, so I know there will be, for instance, a decent service network in place, decent support, decent parts supplies, etc.. We know they can do it. And we know that they have alternately done so and not done so in the past. I want to see what way it leans for the future before committing.

If the 3 is decent enough, I might get an S/X and a 3, one as a main car, and the 3 as just a "commuter".

Last edited:
I voted "YES my current Tesla needs a friend" - we love our S and the plan all along was to trade my old (2007) lexus in for a M3, assuming we like the aesthetics/features. Going all electric is definitely our goal. While I have followed the company superficially since the Roaster was released, I have really started paying attention since we bought stock about a year ago, and even more so since we got our S in July. I do have concerns about the quality of the first builds but I still think we will reserve since a) the Lexus is ready to retire and b) we would obviously like the tax credit. The reveal will help with the decision...